C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Dam Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:06 AM
E8'S VT
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Dam Problems

Let me preface my question by saying thanks for all the tips and information I (and other new Corvette owners) have picked up here on the forum. I have purchased two complete air dam units for my '07 coupe from two different vendors who are forum sponsors and neither one has fit properly. In both cases there was a gap between the center section and the two end pieces. The gap was so large that I was not able to use the plastic retainer pin to connect them together. The gap was approximately the same on both sides each time. Has anyone else experienced this same problem?
The only workable solution I have been able to come up with was to install an aluminum backer plate behind the joint area and use screws to hold it in place.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 AM
maaxx
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing here...i bought one from a sponsor here too for my 2008....had a gap between both sides....

I want to buyanother one for the spring to come to start fresh !

If you have any suggestions...

Thanks

Marc
Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Go with someone that works for a GM dealer, Kevin at Parts Taxi or Patrick/Gene at GM Parts House.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:01 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you using GM parts or aftermarket parts. I replaced my 3 piece air dam (parts came from GM) and it fits perfectly. I am not sure if the base C6 and the Z06 air dam parts are the same?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:51 AM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a short period a couple years ago when the air dam side pieces were made a couple inches too short. There were threads about it. I think the parts you got were old stock of the incorrect design that was available for a little while. I would order again from either Gene or Parts Taxi, and ask them to make sure you are getting parts of the correct design.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Keefer07
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My right side was ripped out of the center section when I bought the car. I replaced all three pieces from GM but the right side kept pulling out from the center section. I found that the radiator support was broken at the right rear mounting point. I had the support welded and haven't had any more problems.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:09 PM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by marc8090
There was a short period a couple years ago when the air dam side pieces were made a couple inches too short. There were threads about it. I think the parts you got were old stock of the incorrect design that was available for a little while. I would order again from either Gene or Parts Taxi, and ask them to make sure you are getting parts of the correct design.
That is exactly correct. A couple years ago there was a screw up at GM with the part numbers. They were sending out side pieces that were too short. Kevin at PartsTaxi explained this to me when the replacement GM parts I ordered from him did not fit correctly. He got it straightened out for me and got me the correct pieces. GM has since gotten the parts numbers corrected but there is probably still some of the short ones sitting on shelves - bet that is what happened here.

Get notified of new replies

To Air Dam Problems

Quick Reply: Air Dam Problems