C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I broke my radiator support...

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:45 AM
rsmith4604
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default It's a bugger....

Originally Posted by Racer
I did mine myself and did NOT remove front bumper cover. The hardest part was trying to hacksaw the frame (in place in a hard to get at position) as the wiring actually ran through it and there was no way to get it out without either cutting the wiring or cutting the frame.
Mine is just cracked half way through and bent at the center rivnut that holds the air dam. I was able to clamp it between two pieces of steel and straighten it. Then I mounted a 12" piece of 1" angle iron at the crack, along that 1" square tube that the air dam mounts to. Now I can't get the new air dam in. My old body is so sore and I don't know what I'm going to do next. Keep trying, I guess.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:45 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,488 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Those pics are great but did it the hard way. 2 hrs start to finish and you don't need to take of the fascia. Take off wheels, remove fender inner liner. Remove the old; all connectors can be disconnected. Take it to the bench and transfer any pieces to the new one. Again 2 hrs taking my time. I would also make sure you just buy the frame with the nuts installed with the purchase. I have seen it sold both ways.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:44 PM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

...back in!!!
Old 03-02-2017, 07:36 AM
rsmith4604
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Finally done

Originally Posted by rsmith4604
Mine is just cracked half way through and bent at the center rivnut that holds the air dam. I was able to clamp it between two pieces of steel and straighten it. Then I mounted a 12" piece of 1" angle iron at the crack, along that 1" square tube that the air dam mounts to. Now I can't get the new air dam in. My old body is so sore and I don't know what I'm going to do next. Keep trying, I guess.
I jacked the car up higher and with a flashlight was able to peek through the grill and spot where the center air dam was hanging up. Worked it in and buttoned things up....done and saved myself $400, which I'll now spend on a cold air intake and a tune. I'm happy
Old 03-28-2017, 07:04 PM
demon340
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DRUGschnorr
I have broken my support at least 6 times to date.... track car... off track driving... I drill the rivnut mount and use 10MM bolt and compression nut on the back side.. faster and easier than installing rivnuts... Just me $0.02 ..... a

has anyone done a real weld to the joints.. they are sloppy from the dealer and crack when u fart in their general direction..lol
mine was broke off on the pass side, and slightly bent. I can weld so I welded it back together and bent it back into shape. It's aluminum so it's not the easiest to weld, I rarely weld aluminum but it came out fine. One PITA was the way the air bag wire on the drivers side was fished through, I could not get the support off without messing with it, instead of risking any damage to the sensor or airbags I just cut at the welds on the small rod on the side of the support and rewelded it.
The following users liked this post:
rsmith4604 (03-29-2017)

Quick Reply: So I broke my radiator support...