C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who makes the best/nicest Fire Extinguisher/Bracket for the C6?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Who makes the best/nicest Fire Extinguisher/Bracket for the C6?

Who makes the best/nicest Fire Extinguisher/Bracket for the C6? I am thinking in front of the passenger seat on the floor is probably the most popular/best place to mount it. Of course I want the Halotron. I am also not opposed to buying the Extinguisher and bracket from different vendors if I am able to save some money that way.

If they are not a forum vendor please feel free to PM me.

I saw a beautiful bracket at an exotic show I was in in a Porsche that was made from a solid piece of billet and it had a pin with a nice black **** on it that you just pull to release the extinguisher and asked the guy where he got it but when I looked at it online to my shock they wanted $1300 for it which is a little rich for my blood. That said I do not want a cheap tin one either.

Thanks in advance. Pics would also be awesome if it is not too much trouble.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:10 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the Brey-Krause fire extinguisher mount which I use with a Safecraft 2.5lb halon fire extinguisher. It's well made and has a quick-release pin. I believe I bought it through Livermore Performance.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I like the Brey-Krause fire extinguisher mount which I use with a Safecraft 2.5lb halon fire extinguisher. It's well made and has a quick-release pin. I believe I bought it through Livermore Performance.
Thanks, anybody else?
Old 01-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too have the Brey-Krause bracket from OG Racing. The Badger 2.5lb Halotron extinguisher came from SmokeSign.com. Also had to buy an actual extinguisher clamp mount, and a new pair of plastic seat bolt covers I carved up to keep things pretty. In my case, whole thing was under $250 bucks.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You might check, I have read that halotron is not as effective as 'real' halon, and real halon is still available. Probably more expensive, but those little extinguishers need all the help they can get.

We "mounted" our small halon by tilting the passenger seatback forward, running the seat forward, laying a clean rag on the floor behind it, and laying the extinguisher on the rag (handle/gauge near the tunnel). Then, run the seat rearward until it just starts to push the extinguisher. When the seat back it returned to normal position, the extinguisher is trapped.

It takes maybe another second to move the seat an inch to free the entinguisher. You lose a little footroom for the passenger, but we have the "saddlebag" pouches behind our seats and had lost the ability to go full rearward already.

Not a race setup, but cheap, easy, and out of sight.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Jims" correct on Halotron not being quite effective as original Halon, but the ozone friendly replacement. Truth is, most of these small extinguishers are really like spitting on an actual fire, but many tracks want to see you have something. A small dry chemical unit may actually be more effective, but can't imagine that thing going off inside my car. The Brey-Krause bracket set up maybe intrudes a bit for passenger entry/exit, but not a big deal.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
"Jims" correct on Halotron not being quite effective as original Halon, but the ozone friendly replacement. Truth is, most of these small extinguishers are really like spitting on an actual fire, but many tracks want to see you have something. A small dry chemical unit may actually be more effective, but can't imagine that thing going off inside my car. The Brey-Krause bracket set up maybe intrudes a bit for passenger entry/exit, but not a big deal.

On the airline, they told us to use a dry chem in the cockpit only if we were going to crash anyway. Really bad for electronics, and not so good for your lungs.
Local shop owner had a friend's newly rebuilt Porsche engine catch fire on initial startup (2 spark plugs not installed). They put it out quickly with dry chem but the abrasive/corroive action of the dry chem required another engine rebuild.

But as you said, dry chem is better at actually putting out most fires.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:17 AM
07MontRedcp
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I really like this one that I got as part of a GB through Taylor at Dallas Performance. It's rechargeable.

BJK
Attached Images   
Old 01-07-2012, 03:23 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I also want to get a fire extingiusher for the track days just in case something goes wrong. Why not get something big enough to fit into glove box? If the intention is to use it during the track days only, we could easily (temporarily) give up the glove box space...
Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default mount

Mount from TKO
LINK http://store.tkoperformance.com/9709fiexmofo.html

Old 01-07-2012, 07:04 AM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default Mount

Corvette Garage
Link http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-corvette.html
C6 and Z06 Corvette
Old 01-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default Mount

Mount WCC
Link http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...and-sport.aspx
Old 01-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Rayzzz
Burning Brakes

Default Mount

Vette Works
Link http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cata...f9932fa6adcb33

Old 01-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Ozer
I also want to get a fire extingiusher for the track days just in case something goes wrong. Why not get something big enough to fit into glove box? If the intention is to use it during the track days only, we could easily (temporarily) give up the glove box space...
All sorts of things can happen in a crash, I'd worry about the glove box coming open and getting smacked by the extinguisher. Impact forces are not always forward.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 07MontRedcp
I really like this one that I got as part of a GB through Taylor at Dallas Performance. It's rechargeable.

BJK

Got a link to that GB ? I want to look into that one some more. Its nice !!!

Toque
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 PM
GARB55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toque
Got a link to that GB ? I want to look into that one some more. Its nice !!!

Toque
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1572521830-post1.html
Old 02-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Thanks ! Got it....

Get notified of new replies

To Who makes the best/nicest Fire Extinguisher/Bracket for the C6?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 PM
GARB55
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toque
Thanks ! Got it....
Sorry was late, I noticed you got one.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by GARB55
Sorry was late, I noticed you got one.
Sure did...

Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have an Amerex dry chemical extinguisher mounted on the BK mount. Got the extinguisher from a local fireman that sells them part time. It has a metal gauge is refillable and I can get him to certify it each year. Price was far better than anything that I could get online and it is a quality piece. He even delivered it to my house.

I tried mounting in front of the driver's seat where it is more accessible but I kept hitting it with my feet and accidentally released the latches. It ended up under the brake pedal just as I hit the brakes for a tight corner at the Glen. Good thing they had just added a paved run off area.

Since then it is mounted in front of the passenger seat although you have to get out of the car to use it. I guess you could reach it if you have extremely long arms and are able to reach across the tunnel into the other footwell. My arms are a couple of ft too short. If you have a harness on you will have to release it before you can attempt to reach the extinguisher. That is why I say in the time left after releasing the harness the best thing to do is EXIT.

Halon is great in enclosed spaces. However, if you are outside the car shooting it in it may not do as well. If you are using it inside the car you better take a deep breath before pulling the trigger since it displaces Oxygen to put the fire out and it will do it quickly. If you don't you could pass out in seconds. Dry Chemical is almost as bad to breathe. However, it works great in an open area so if you are trying to put out a fire from outside the car it is probably the best type to use.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-20-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Who makes the best/nicest Fire Extinguisher/Bracket for the C6?