C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Stuck in park, 2005 C6

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 06:25 PM
forever6
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g plant city fl

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Then trade the car, right ?
Having trouble with shifter getting stuck in park. Dealership replaced the shifter, still the same problem. Then they replaced brake sensor still not working. Noticed that service traction control system keep coming on. Wonder if this has something to do with it.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:30 AM
Chris Paul
1st Gear

Default I've been having the same problem!

So what is the answer? Do I take it to a dealer and have the shifter replaced? I hate to do that since it may be very expensive. sometimes I'll play with the traction control button. Or the emergency brake. It's making me crazy. What do you suggest?
Originally Posted by gasfive
The threads on this problem all seem to be years old. I'm looking for any new info on how to resolve this. Old posts seemed to fall into two fixes, expensive replace of shifter or fiddle with it till it starts working. The two times it has happened to me the fiddle with it has worked but I sure don't want to get stuck somewhere if the next time that does not work. I would like to be armed with the latest info if I have to go into a dealer. Thanks
Old 06-14-2016, 08:04 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,106 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Paul
So what is the answer? Do I take it to a dealer and have the shifter replaced? I hate to do that since it may be very expensive. sometimes I'll play with the traction control button. Or the emergency brake. It's making me crazy. What do you suggest?
The permanent and cheap fix is to disable the parking lock pawl that is solenoid operated. The solenoid cannot be replaced separately. Plenty of threads show how to go underneath the shifter leather boot to access the pawl and either break it off or drill a hole in it and wire it permanently backwards. Once it is disabled, there is nothing to keep the shifter lever stuck in Park. I and others have been commenting on recent threads about this. Short of this, you might try pushing forward on the shifter lever after starting the engine and while still on the brake pedal, then moving the shifter out of Park. Worked everytime on my 07 A6 and my son's 08 A6 as both of our vettes were having periodic problems with getting the shifter to release out of Park.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:21 AM
xtroms
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

I found on my 05 that if you don 't step on the brake pedal and hold it when you push the start button it will lock in park every time. A fluke or what?
Old 06-14-2016, 02:14 PM
Carmania
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Chris Paul
Hi Chris, Through Trial and Error it seems I have found a Way to Bypass the Sticking Shifter Issue, Try This Process and Follow The Exact Steps Outlined, 1. Press Ignition accessory Switch without pressing Brake Pedal . 2. You should hear a Click coming from The Shifter which is the Release of the Interlock Solenoid, 3. Apply Foot to Brake Pedal and Proceed to Start Ignition, 4. Shifter will now shift into drive freely, I Have now Incorporated this Process into every Start up for the Past 6 Months with no Issues , Hopefully it will Provide you with the Same Results, Good Luck, Joe.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:26 PM
VetteCop29
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Had to resort to a hammer

Originally Posted by Justasheet
I did the same thing. Thanks to Dennis50NJ.
Jeff
This NEVER works.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:46 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Park/Lock Feature on Automatic Transmissions is part of a safety issue mandated on all cars. Defeating the lock is not the best choice. Unfortunately GM has a significant issue with these going bad and the part is not replaceable. Its a solenoid that is manufactured into the complete shifter assembly. If you pull hard or force movement you can also break the shifter cable and forced to replace that also. The cost is often 700 - 1000 and appears to be the same exact part. (the entire shifter assembly)

Please take a moment to file a complaint with the NHTSHA on this issue. GM knows about the issue and has failed to make the necessary repairs and recall. Don't get stuck in a bad area, or forced to the expense of repair and towing. You can even get locked in the car as it believes its still in gear.

www.safercar.gov -- record every instance, even warranty and extended warranty replacement and repair.
Good advice about filing a complaint.

Your comment about getting locked in the car can be solved by using the emergency door lever located next to the seat to open the door.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by RadarP3C

Your comment about getting locked in the car can be solved by using the emergency door lever located next to the seat to open the door.
Shh, that's supposed to be a secret. It's only posted in the owner's manual and the car salesman's last words.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:14 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by xtroms
I found on my 05 that if you don 't step on the brake pedal and hold it when you push the start button it will lock in park every time. A fluke or what?
Made that way.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:18 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Good advice about filing a complaint.

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Shh, that's supposed to be a secret. It's only posted in the owner's manual and the car salesman's last words.
I know the escape pod pulls well ... unfortunately it would not work initially. The car thought it was in drive and perhaps it has a lock-out feature like the doors. (car has long since been sold)

I spent around 900.00 for new cable, shifter, and labor. GM told me its not a big concern, and that they were not considering update to parts. So you get the same parts that initially failed ... mine was garage kept and less than 12k miles at time of failure.

I wish you all luck and success. Unfortunately having to modify and essentially rig a part to work properly was not in my best interest.

I still highly suggest reporting it ...
Old 07-05-2016, 07:22 PM
dtmusec
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan0324
This is a quick fix to get you going, most floor mounted automatics have a switch below the boot. Try lifting up the boot and look for the switch. Once you press it you should be able to shift out of park.

If you are not clear, just call any chevy service dept and ask about this switch. I have not checked but it might be in the manual.

Again, not sure if the Vette has one, but all others I have owned did.

Once you are on the move, you can drive it in for repair.
How do you lift the boot?
Old 07-05-2016, 07:27 PM
dtmusec
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which thread show how to get under boot?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:37 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
What? There's ONE salesman out there that actually knows about this? Way too smart to be a car salesman. Probably won't last long.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by dtmusec
Which thread show how to get under boot?

There is a thread here somewhere, with pictures I think, (or maybe just a post within a thread) saying that if you press in the right spot on the boot you can move the pawl. AFAIK, nobody has actually tried this to see if it's possible.

If I ever get stuck because of the solenoid/pawl problem I will slice the boot open. Buying a new boot would be the least of my worries.

But of course the SMART thing would be to take it apart now and tie the pawl back. I keep putting it off . . .
Old 07-05-2016, 10:47 PM
RadarP3C
Race Director

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I know the escape pod pulls well ... unfortunately it would not work initially. The car thought it was in drive and perhaps it has a lock-out feature like the doors. (car has long since been sold)
My understanding of the emergency door release is that it is only cable operated. There is nothing electrical about it, which is the point of having this option when there is no power either because of an electrical failure/malfunction or being involved in a collision.

Last edited by RadarP3C; 07-05-2016 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:20 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

My understanding of the emergency door release is that it is only cable operated. There is nothing electrical about it, which is the point of having this option when there is no power either because of an electrical failure/malfunction or being involved in a collision.
Bingo. Strictly mechanical so that you can open the doors with no electrical power.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:32 AM
xtroms
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Had my 05 in at the dealer for some work and this is what the service advisor told me: There is a switch on the brake pedal that activates the park solenoid that could be bad or not adjusted properly. You can tell if that’s the problem by the pushing accessory button and if you don’t hear the solenoid click by the shifter then that’s the problem. I haven’t heard about this on the forum.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck in park, 2005 C6

Old 07-06-2016, 11:41 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by xtroms
Had my 05 in at the dealer for some work and this is what the service advisor told me: There is a switch on the brake pedal that activates the park solenoid that could be bad or not adjusted properly. You can tell if that’s the problem by the pushing accessory button and if you don’t hear the solenoid click by the shifter then that’s the problem. I haven’t heard about this on the forum.
It could be the brake switch but for the C6 vettes, it is rarely the problem. If the brake switch is at fault, the brakes lights won't come either.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 PM
pure zen
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Working for me,,,

Originally Posted by Carmania
Through Trial and Error it seems I have found a Way to Bypass the Sticking Shifter Issue, Try This Process and Follow The Exact Steps Outlined, 1. Press Ignition accessory Switch without pressing Brake Pedal . 2. You should hear a Click coming from The Shifter which is the Release of the Interlock Solenoid, 3. Apply Foot to Brake Pedal and Proceed to Start Ignition, 4. Shifter will now shift into drive freely, I Have now Incorporated this Process into every Start up for the Past 6 Months with no Issues , Hopefully it will Provide you with the Same Results, Good Luck, Joe.

Thank you for this tip, as I was having the stuck in Park issue nearly every drive. Now, since following the above steps, I haven't had any issue with the stuck in Park evil issue at all.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:16 PM
MarcL
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm cross posting this across the dozen or so threads I have found about this problem with the '05 C6 A4 being stuck in park.

That little microswitch is the culprit. It should go from open-circuit to short when activated. Mine is all over the place. It either needs to be replaced or cleaned.

Quick Reply: Stuck in park, 2005 C6