C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 06:04 PM
dazz44
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful about the cutting your shroud with the oem...I did and had the worst surge ever.... so please don't cut your shroud! I had to buy a new shroud to stop the surge. I'm not pushing any CAI but I did purchase a Halltech MF103 and every thing work out great.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by laconiajack
So-called cold air intakes scoop extra hot air right off the pavement where it is up to 30 degrees hotter tham ambient, not "cold" air by any stretch of the imagination. Any performance increase is strictly in one's imagination after wasting one's money, and substantially increasing the chance of ingesting road splash into and hydrolocking your engine, something that has been documented numerous times on this Forum.
as far as hydrolock. I've heard of hydrolock problems, but that was due to SOME IDIOT DRIVING HIS VETTE INTO A POND OR A FLOODED STREET WITH WATER COVERING THE BUMPER. Chuck at Corvettes of Westchester told me he had a garden hose spraying water directly at a Vararam, trying to get this hydrolock fairtale to happen, and it wouldn't. Almost any intake located at this height off the ground will flood if you bury it in a pool.Just don't drive stupid.

As far as the gains experienced, that may be true that it is not all that meaningful for regular street driving.
However, if you are doing other mods, and plan on getting a tune anyway, then the cost of the tune with the intake and other performance improvements added together make sense. The Vararam will be recognized by the car's computer, and after several runs with it, the car will make it's own recalculations for proper preformance. I did this in my C5 before I did some other mods, and the car ran fine with this as the only mod to begin with.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

So-called cold air intakes scoop extra hot air right off the pavement where it is up to 30 degrees hotter tham ambient, not "cold" air by any stretch of the imagination. Any performance increase is strictly in one's imagination after wasting one's money, and substantially increasing the chance of ingesting road splash into and hydrolocking your engine, something that has been documented numerous times on this Forum.
Finally a reason for you to buy a Grand Sport. It gets it's cold air from that scoop at the top of the bumper(that your C6 doesn't have).
Old 01-09-2012, 07:30 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1579690654]Finally a reason for you to buy a Grand Sport. It gets it's cold air from that scoop at the top of the bumper(that your C6 doesn't have).[/QUOTE

Only problem is the poorer aerodynamics, larger frontal area, greater rolling resistance, and heavier weight of the G/S overwhelms whatever advantage that little scoop provides. That is why GM is too ashamed to post the top speed of the G/S ......it is so much S...L...O...W...E...R.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:08 PM
RGT
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

The Calloway is a a quality CAI. I gained 12 hp with the Calloway over the original Hallteck Killer Bee.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Eminitrader
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Another vote for Vararam here... Suggestion came from Chuck Cow. He tuned my Vette and sold me the Vararam.. well worth it in my opinion.

I agree that for most its a waste of money but I drove mine like I stole it every chance I get... and I love wasting money on my Vette

Last edited by Eminitrader; 01-09-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: missed a couple words
Old 01-09-2012, 08:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

[QUOTE=laconiajack;1579690710]
Originally Posted by JoesC5
Finally a reason for you to buy a Grand Sport. It gets it's cold air from that scoop at the top of the bumper(that your C6 doesn't have).[/QUOTE

Only problem is the poorer aerodynamics, larger frontal area, greater rolling resistance, and heavier weight of the G/S overwhelms whatever advantage that little scoop provides. That is why GM is too ashamed to post the top speed of the G/S ......it is so much S...L...O...W...E...R.
And I can pass your skinny butt any day of the week with my fat fendered Z06 with the huge rolling resistance tires and larger frontal area, that weighs less then your skinny butt. I guess that little scoop in the bumper does help. It makes my car faster then yours.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 244 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Here we go again!

Originally Posted by Eminitrader
Another vote for Vararam here... Suggestion came from Chuck Cow. He tuned my Vette and sold me the Vararam.. well worth it in my opinion.

I agree that for most its a waste of money but I drove mine like I stole it every chance I get... and I love wasting money on my Vette

Here we go again!

It just happens to be the MOST POPULAR COLD AIR INTAKE...

FOR A VERY GOOD REASON.

Call me and I'll make you a deal on one!
Chuck CoW
Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 PM
Kiser64
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1579691167]

And I can pass your skinny butt any day of the week with my fat fendered Z06 with the huge rolling resistance tires and larger frontal area, that weighs less then your skinny butt. I guess that little scoop in the bumper does help. It makes my car faster then yours.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:21 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

[QUOTE=JoesC5;1579691167]

Duhh; I don't suppose your larger, higher horsepower engine and lighter frame has anything to do with that. I was simply observing that the G/S, with the same engine as the base Vette, is S...L...O...W...E...R than the base Vette. The reason your Z06 is faster has nothing to do with that little cosmetic scoop in your hood. Good grief!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:33 PM
dazz44
Racer

Finally a reason for you to buy a Grand Sport. It gets it's cold air from that scoop at the top of the bumper(that your C6 doesn't have).[/QUOTE

But it looks so good!!!! PHAT PHAT PHAT!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Waste of money unless you are planning to tune the car, and even then I would still question it, especially with the LS3/7 and 9. You'd have to see how much did the tune provide and how much HP you'd really gain from the system.

You might pick up 5 or 10hp ,and 1/10th at the track, and if that's important to you, than shelling out 400-600 bucks for the top CAI kits might be worth it. If youre just driving the car mainly on the street for fun and occasional track visit, not worth it IMO.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
it comes stock with it.

The best, especially when considering bang for the buck, is stock.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

The GS bodystyle , and tire sizes are the SAME as the Z06...so tell me about this HUGE rolling resistence of the Gigantic tires...and "poorer aerodynamics" in fact, the ZR1 shares the virtually the SAME wide-body design as the Z06 and GS. If the Widebody had such "poor" aerodynamics as you say, it would not be on the two fastest production Corvettes made to date

You've made yourself a celebrity here Jack when it comes to GS hate, there's no doubt about it..but some of your claims are just pure nonsense.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:35 AM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FrankTank
The GS bodystyle , and tire sizes are the SAME as the Z06...so tell me about this HUGE rolling resistence of the Gigantic tires...and "poorer aerodynamics" in fact, the ZR1 shares the virtually the SAME wide-body design as the Z06 and GS. If the Widebody had such "poor" aerodynamics as you say, it would not be on the two fastest production Corvettes made to date

You've made yourself a celebrity here Jack when it comes to GS hate, there's no doubt about it..but some of your claims are just pure nonsense.
The wide body on the ZR1 and Z06 had a purpose other than being an all show and no go imitation of more powerful models.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
DTH STR
Advanced

Originally Posted by lebvette
Oh Boy!

About 50% will say KillerBee
40% Vararam
5% others
5% don't mess with it.
roflmao!!

Shahram
Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

The wide body on the ZR1 and Z06 had a purpose other than being an all show and no go imitation of more powerful models.
Okay, now I understand. At a buck 20, a buck 30 and at a buck 50, etc the 400% increase in front brake cooling and the 200% increase in rear brake cooling, the increased front and rear downforce, and the greater adhesion to the pavement with the wide tires and the shorter stopping distances with the Z06 and the ZR1, combined with the cold air scoop on the front bumper, only work with the Z06 and the ZR1, but not the GS. I didn't realize that the laws of physics changed depending on the name of the model Corvette or it's horsepower.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-10-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold Air Intake

Old 01-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Brian2010
Burning Brakes

I have the gs, what little scoop you talking about. Have a picture?
Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

[QUOTE=Brian2010;1579697978]

I have the gs, what little scoop you talking about. Have a picture?

The scoop right behind the crossflags that is not on the Base C6's bumper.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:25 PM
jonathontodd
Racer

I would love the wider *** end on my base c6. Of course it would be faster due to better traction. As for cai, vararam for me. Got one used on here for $200 w/ throttle body spacer. def. Noticed the difference. But I have put 15k miles on the car in the last 6 months. Alot of seat time

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake