C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Gear UK

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
That's what Jeremy said, but when the Stig drove the cars around the track, it was the Audi that was a handful and the ZR1 that went around more smoothly...and of course, faster too.
I stand corrected, thanks for the info. I only saw the clip of Jeremy driving on You Tube. Another case of internet info not giving the whole story.

GP
Old 02-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

And once again, I do apologize for my mistakes. I'll have to watch more closely. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RO55
Last nights show they tested ZR1, Challenger SRT, & Caddie on a road trip. The ZR1 was praised!
That was a last night's RE-RUN, the original show smells of mothballs.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
yow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the episode I watched last night Jeremy was rolling a Reliant Robin (S.15, E.1). He said it's the second best selling plastic car of all time...first being the corvette! I laughed harder than every when he was rolling that stupid little car at every corner. So funny!

Gotta love netflix. I watched every episode of every season, then started over. I'm at 15.2 now.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:16 PM
CF Editor
IB Staff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SeanMo
I read somewhere that a hennesy zr1 has the unofficial fastest lap time on the American top gear track.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...usas-track.php

The video is rad. Though since it's a modded car, it doesn't count hence the "unofficial."
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 PM
CF Editor
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
He had some criticism of it, but considering the cars he has purchased I would say it is an endorsement.
Isn't buying a car kind of putting your money where your mouth is?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:23 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

In this case, the Brits do have it all over us Yanks. I look forward with eager anticipation for the new season of BBS’s Top Gear. I do watch our version of it, begrudgingly. Our hosts don’t really seem to care for each other, whereas Jeremy, James, and Richard seem to enjoy and respect each other. Yes, it appeared at first that Jeremy and Richard picked on James a bit, still do, but more in jest. Great show even for those that don’t ‘get’ cars. My wife watches it too. That says something.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:52 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

There's definately a chemistry between the three brits that make the show enjoyable to watch. Sadly, that chemistry is lacking in the American version. I also think the Brits are much more knowledgeable of the product they are reviewing.Comedic or not, there is a bias against American car manufacturers. It frosts me to no end when they Poo Poo the Corvette because of their antiquated leaf spring suspension. They seem to work really well on my C-5. Course I'm not an expert and never claimed I was.Lastly, I think that we all will enjoy the show more if we view it as entertainment and not news.IMHO, The RH Factor.

Last edited by kh400; 02-08-2012 at 02:53 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

This is what I was talking about- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnmOIFTJL5U
Old 02-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Good show but, I wouldn't agree with everything they say.....

Last edited by Jimmy W1; 02-08-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Touchton94LT1
Racer

Originally Posted by J Willis
Good show but, I wouldn't agree with everything they say.....
Still better then Top Gear Usa
Old 02-08-2012, 03:37 PM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Originally Posted by yow
In the episode I watched last night Jeremy was rolling a Reliant Robin (S.15, E.1). He said it's the second best selling plastic car of all time...first being the corvette! I laughed harder than every when he was rolling that stupid little car at every corner. So funny!

Gotta love netflix. I watched every episode of every season, then started over. I'm at 15.2 now.
One of the funniest they made.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:42 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

This is what I was talking about- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnmOIFTJL5U
Thanks for posting the link

Ah loved it, unless you always watch the show most viewers will get the wrong impression.......... Notice how the British car won the drag race!

I have found the British version of Top Gear to be very entertaining regardless of what they say about our cars and pickup trucks too

You really have to watch the show over an entire season to see how Jermey, Richard, James, Stig & company click to make a very funny and informative car show for us gear heads

Great Show
Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

I have watched every episode of Top Gear since it premiered in its current form.

Power Lap times are set by The Stig (retired professional race car driver). All the cars they test are driven by this person (different drivers depending on year).

Star in a Reasonably Priced Car times are set by the celebrity guest. They all drive some crap FWD econobox. Hence the "reasonably priced car" bit.

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
Jeremy purchased a ZR1.
That rumor is unsubstantiated.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kh400
There's definately a chemistry between the three brits that make the show enjoyable to watch. Sadly, that chemistry is lacking in the American version. I also think the Brits are much more knowledgeable of the product they are reviewing.Comedic or not, there is a bias against American car manufacturers. It frosts me to no end when they Poo Poo the Corvette because of their antiquated leaf spring suspension. They seem to work really well on my C-5. Course I'm not an expert and never claimed I was.Lastly, I think that we all will enjoy the show more if we view it as entertainment and not news.IMHO, The RH Factor.
I watch it all the time,, and I have seen where Jeremy made comments about the leaf spring and the flexible rear bumper, but the Hammond argued, who care if it is a leaf spring or not-it works great. Also when they came to the US and tested the ZR1 and the CTS-V they loved them both.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Tadge said Clarkson bought one.

starts at 1:45
http://youtu.be/nDlIp-w1vd4
Old 02-08-2012, 06:33 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
I watch it all the time,, and I have seen where Jeremy made comments about the leaf spring and the flexible rear bumper, but the Hammond argued, who care if it is a leaf spring or not-it works great. Also when they came to the US and tested the ZR1 and the CTS-V they loved them both.
Hammond has a Morgan, which is made of wood!

Get notified of new replies

To Top Gear UK

Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I love the Top Gear show. They rip into just about any foreign car though. Jeremy has a special love for the Cockster.

Personally I think the ZR1 could have a better lap time if a top race car driver outside the UK was driving it. I'm sure shifting with the right arm is about as hard for a Brit as it is for most of the world to shift with the left arm. They should bring someone over such as Andy Pilgrim (since the Brits might know him) but he is use to driving on this side of the pond. Of course I would love to see someone like Johnny O drive a ZR1 on the track over there but they probably don't even know who he is.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by C6BOB
The celebrities all drive the same cheap car, and have a separate scoreboard. The Stig drives the exotic cars, and has a different scoreboard.The celebrities never drive the exotic cars - only the Presenters and the Stig.
You are exactly right

Well, excuse me but they always post their times on the leaderboard like the OP said. In fact Tom Cruise (who was on with Cameron Diaz) had the fastest time and was at the top of the leader board at the beginning of the season. I just watched the show a couple weeks ago. Hugh Grant's time went somewhere on the leaderboard and so did Ronnie Wood's.
You are mistaken
Old 02-09-2012, 09:12 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

I'm surprised that Tom Cruise could do a lap that fast while sitting on a phone book or two....gotta give him credit!

Quick Reply: Top Gear UK