C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving with Competitive Mode on

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Driving with Competitive Mode on

I posted a thread about the Launch Control feature on my 2010 C6 1LT, MN6. Yesterday, I tested part of the launch control feature, by that I selected Competitive Mode, depressed the clutch and in 1st gear I floored the throttle and it held the engine rpm to 4100. I didn't dump the clutch because I wasn't in the street. I drove around a little with it still in Competitive Mode and noticed a lot more response from the engine. Today I drove around more selected in Competitive Mode, and yes..................it feels like another car. Well, not quite that drastic. I do feel there alot more engine response and it sure feels quite a bit friskier. Pulled away from a light a little aggresivily and it stepped out a little to the right and just started hazing the rear tires, so I peddled it back. I sure do like driving it in Competitive Mode now. I don't know if the impact of Competitive Mode with an A6 auto would be so dynamic as it is in a stick, but it sure is fun to drive.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I do not have launch control so I have no idea on how it should perform.

4,100 rpm seems a bit high though, at least in my mind, but then I am no drag type guy.

I believe while in Competitive mode the nannies come on a little later is all. I have never noticed any more "get up and go" while in this mode.

Active handling is 50% and traction control is off.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Boomer, maybe since the traction control nanny is negated somewhat, it just seems more responsive. It is a different driving feel though from having it default to all nannies on when it first starts up.

Me Likey
Old 02-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

My E46 M3 had something like what you are describing, it was more responsive to throttle input.

I have not noticed my 08 having this effect though.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:13 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Information about what the Comp mode does is very sketchy (virtually non-existent!!) in the Owner's Manual and the Service Manual.

Like Bill says, the AH will apply individual brakes to correct diversions in yaw rate from what it expects based on the stuff he mentioned (steering angle, vehicle speed, lateral G's, yaw rate).

My 2010 Service Manual says that the system (which is mostly controlled by the EBCM) will also pull power if necessary:

The engine torque may be reduce also, if it is necessary to slow the vehicle while maintaining stability.
I don't know if it reduces throttle or cuts off injectors, but like TC it may do both.

I've read reports here on the Forum from some members that say that the throttle response is actually REDUCED in Comp mode.

So, Mach2, your observation of increased throttle responsiveness is counter to what some others believe actually occurs.

IMHO, neither the throttle response, nor any other engine parameter, is changed in Comp mode - but I have no documentation to back that up, just my own experience with 3 different C6's ('05 Coupe with manual transmission, '06 Z06, '09 ZR1).

EXCEPT FOR ONE CASE!!! In my '06 Z06 (and I imagine in all other model years of the Z06) when AH is on the exhaust valves open at 3,500 RPM, and when in Comp mode they open at 3,000 RPM.

To my knowledge, none of the other models do that.

Bob
Old 02-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Mach2
Drifting

Bob, I'm sure you're right. I probably just think it's more responsive when I see the DIC say Competitive Mode ON and I know it's on. This is my first C6, and am finding things all the time that makes me love this car more.

Again, it sure seems more responsive but it's probably my imagination.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:02 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On page 9-39 of the 2011 Owners manual.

Competitive Driving Mode, Performance Traction Management, and Launch Control are systems designed to allow increased performance while accelerating and /or cornering.

skip to

Competitive Driving Mode (Except ZR1).
Competitive Driving Mode allows full engine power while the Active Handling System helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake application. In this mode, TCS is off and Launch Control is available. Adjust your driving style to account for the available engine power.

skip to 9-42

Competitive Driving Mode, Performance Traction Management, and Launch Control are systems designed for a closed course race track and not intended for use on public roads. The systems are not intended to compensate for lack of driver experience or familiarity with the race track.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
My E46 M3 had something like what you are describing, it was more responsive to throttle input.

I have not noticed my 08 having this effect though.
The sport button on the E46 M3 changed the throttle mapping which increased throttle sensitivity, but did not add HP. The first thing I did after starting my M3 was to press both the DSC and sport buttons, In the corvette, competition mode does not change throttle mapping, however I wish it did!
Old 02-11-2012, 12:30 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
The sport button on the E46 M3 changed the throttle mapping which increased throttle sensitivity, but did not add HP. The first thing I did after starting my M3 was to press both the DSC and sport buttons, In the corvette, competition mode does not change throttle mapping, however I wish it did!
But, you don't have TCS in control. I'm sure COW can update the throttle mapping to make it more sensitive.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:45 AM
locosmith
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel like I accelerate faster in competitive mode from a dead stop since I'm not sitting there spinning the tires like I would with traction control off. I only use it around town but on the high way I always have traction control off for wide open throttle in case I have feed the need.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

I hadn't tried it yet. Took it to the track with TC off and launching around 3500. Next time around I'm gonna try out 4200. I drive on a regular basis with TC off though.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:13 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Don't know aything about Launch Control, but here is some info on the rest of it:

Traction Control System (TCS):

This limits rear wheel spin by reducing engine power and applying the rear brakes when wheelspin is detected.

Active Handling (AH):

Helps maintain directional control by selectively applying any one of the 4 brakes when a skid is detected.

There are 4 separate modes:

1. Traction Control - On
Active Handling - On
(Engages when the car is started)
This is the default mode.

This is recommended for normal driving.

2. Traction Control - Off
Active Handling - On
(Engage with 1 push of the button)

Turning off TCS allows the rear wheels to spin, but alows the Active Handling to fully assist in skid contol.

This is recommended for drag racing.

3. Traction Control - Off
Active Handling - Reduced
(Engage with 2 pushes of the button)

This is the Competitive Driving Mode which allows the rear wheels to spin, while reducing some of the input that Active Handling has to assist in skid control.

This is recommended for road racing.

4. Traction Control - Off
Active Handling - Off
(Engage by holding button for 5 sec.)

This may be used when the driver does not want any on-board sensor input that may effect power reduction or brake application. No rear wheel spin or vehicle skid corrections are automatically applied.

Note: The Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) is always on and is unaffected by the various Traction Control or Active Handling selections that may be made above.

Ron,
Old 02-11-2012, 03:18 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,474 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Competitive mode actually lowers the throttle input mapping but not necessarily the response: it substantially increases the Stability control tresholds, so it might indeed feel like the car is more responsive, since the TC is not retarding the engine due to traction loss anymore.

The throttle mapping of Standard vs. Competition mode was discussed when CoW claimed he cured the issue of throttle input non-linearity, while others from tuning section suggested it is not necessarily an issue, and it is by design, showing different throttle maps of stock tune from HP Tuner. The idea is that Competitive mode requires much more respect from your right foot, and so GM made a slow start on throttle input vs. actual throttle opening to supposedly help you out. As you go further on throttle input (i.e. as you get close to 50% or more), the throttle mapping pretty much becomes the same as Standard mode's.

Chuck Cow's tune makes the throttle mapping vs. throttle input exactly linear, as it would work on a wired throttle. Is it better? IMHO, throttle is just an input device, no different than your computer's mouse with its sensitivity setting, so as long as you get used to how much response you get per your right foot's input, both linear and non-linear throttle mapping works just as fine.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:02 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Ozer

Chuck Cow's tune makes the throttle mapping vs. throttle input exactly linear, as it would work on a wired throttle. Is it better?

IMHO, throttle is just an input device, no different than your computer's mouse with its sensitivity setting, so as long as you get used to how much response you get per your right foot's input, both linear and non-linear throttle mapping works just as fine.
Exactly ... Chuck CoWs "Booster" makes the throttle input linear just like the throttle was connected via a cable ..... Good!

You press the pedal down 1/4, and the throttle blade opens 25%

Press the the gas pedal down 1/2 way, and the throttle blade opens 50% .... etc

(the way it should work) !
Old 02-11-2012, 06:44 AM
z28lt1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,019 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by locosmith
I feel like I accelerate faster in competitive mode from a dead stop since I'm not sitting there spinning the tires like I would with traction control off. I only use it around town but on the high way I always have traction control off for wide open throttle in case I have feed the need.
Traction control is off in comp mode, so straight line acceleration is not effected in that manner. If the throttle maps are reduced, that will help keep down spin if you give too much throttle from a stop.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 AM
mksz51
Safety Car

Received 156 Likes on 95 Posts

this is all good and fine but do realize you are flirting with disaster and may make a new friend called "the curb" or "the ditch" doing this. Others on this forum have lost it in a heartbeat.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Agreed I usually drive in default mode.

If I am feeling spirited and away from the Bay Area traffic I will go into Comp, but usually not on a real tight road. These cars are just to big and fast for short tight roads.

A few times I have experienced the nannies kick on in Comp mode, not sure why they did either.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving with Competitive Mode on

Old 02-11-2012, 09:11 AM
TheSchlaf
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Don't know aything about Launch Control, but here is some info on the rest of it:

Traction Control System (TCS):

This limits rear wheel spin by reducing engine power and applying the rear brakes when wheelspin is detected.

Active Handling (AH):

Helps maintain directional control by selectively applying any one of the 4 brakes when a skid is detected.

There are 4 separate modes:

1. Traction Control - On
Active Handling - On
(Engages when the car is started)
This is the default mode.

This is recommended for normal driving.

2. Traction Control - Off
Active Handling - On
(Engage with 1 push of the button)

Turning off TCS allows the rear wheels to spin, but alows the Active Handling to fully assist in skid contol.

This is recommended for drag racing.

3. Traction Control - Off
Active Handling - Reduced
(Engage with 2 pushes of the button)

This is the Competitive Driving Mode which allows the rear wheels to spin, while reducing some of the input that Active Handling has to assist in skid control.

This is recommended for road racing.

4. Traction Control - Off
Active Handling - Off
(Engage by holding button for 5 sec.)

This may be used when the driver does not want any on-board sensor input that may effect power reduction or brake application. No rear wheel spin or vehicle skid corrections are automatically applied.

Note: The Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) is always on and is unaffected by the various Traction Control or Active Handling selections that may be made above.

Ron,
Great post! Thanks for the info. Which one of those is competitive driving mode?

EDIT: It's the third one. I need to read more thoroughly.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:36 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I do not have launch control so I have no idea on how it should perform.

4,100 rpm seems a bit high though, at least in my mind, but then I am no drag type guy.

I believe while in Competitive mode the nannies come on a little later is all. I have never noticed any more "get up and go" while in this mode.

Active handling is 50% and traction control is off.
In comp mode traction control is off and there's a reduced level of intervention from active handling. I don't, however, recall ever reading a percentage given. I don't believe AH engages later...it simply engages at a somewhat less aggressive level of intervention.

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Information about what the Comp mode does is very sketchy (virtually non-existent!!) in the Owner's Manual and the Service Manual.

Like Bill says, the AH will apply individual brakes to correct diversions in yaw rate from what it expects based on the stuff he mentioned (steering angle, vehicle speed, lateral G's, yaw rate).

My 2010 Service Manual says that the system (which is mostly controlled by the EBCM) will also pull power if necessary:

I don't know if it reduces throttle or cuts off injectors, but like TC it may do both.

I've read reports here on the Forum from some members that say that the throttle response is actually REDUCED in Comp mode.
So, Mach2, your observation of increased throttle responsiveness is counter to what some others believe actually occurs.

IMHO, neither the throttle response, nor any other engine parameter, is changed in Comp mode - but I have no documentation to back that up, just my own experience with 3 different C6's ('05 Coupe with manual transmission, '06 Z06, '09 ZR1).

EXCEPT FOR ONE CASE!!! In my '06 Z06 (and I imagine in all other model years of the Z06) when AH is on the exhaust valves open at 3,500 RPM, and when in Comp mode they open at 3,000 RPM.

To my knowledge, none of the other models do that.

Bob
I have no doubt comp mode reduces throttle response. Comp mode is IMO a great tool for learning to drive on a road course but it gets to a point where using it slows you down. If I use comp mode on a road course it engages at virtually every corner and curve. When I put the power down (coming out of a corner/curve) it just 'flattens-out' throttle response and acceleration. Instead of staying on-line and waiting for normal throttle response I'd have to get off-line to get the car straightened out so normal throttle response resumes.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:58 AM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default Yes sir!

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Exactly ... Chuck CoWs "Booster" makes the throttle input linear just like the throttle was connected via a cable ..... Good!

You press the pedal down 1/4, and the throttle blade opens 25%

Press the the gas pedal down 1/2 way, and the throttle blade opens 50% .... etc

(the way it should work) !
YES SIR!

CoW BOOST ME!

Chuck CoW

Quick Reply: Driving with Competitive Mode on