C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any body got pics of their car with the red caliper covers

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:30 PM
bugsas99
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
They are a Pep Boy accessory. IMO They look cheap especially on a Corvette.
they look cheap??? sort of like when people put a bra on front. tinted taillight covers. colored wheels. side cove lights. LED lights all over vehicle. loud exhaust. windshield banner. etc. etc. everyone has an opinion. it is your vehicle. who cares what people say. as long as you are happy with the outcome of any project or add ons. peoples opinions dont matter. i could care less what people say about my car. i am proud to drive it.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by bugsas99
it is your vehicle. who cares what people say. as long as you are happy with the outcome of any project or add ons. peoples opinions dont matter.
while that looks good in 'print' the reality is MOST people do care, if anybody thinks they are driving a Vette and dosen't like to be seen......well just continue to believe what you want !
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
The caliper covers look better than trying to paint them plus they help keep the brake dust off the wheels.
and keep it trapped inside on the caliper, pins, pads etc. where you can't wash it off.
just sayin'.

Originally Posted by bugsas99
they look cheap??? sort of like when people put a bra on front. tinted taillight covers. colored wheels. side cove lights. LED lights all over vehicle. loud exhaust. windshield banner. etc. etc. everyone has an opinion. it is your vehicle. who cares what people say. as long as you are happy with the outcome of any project or add ons. peoples opinions dont matter. i could care less what people say about my car. i am proud to drive it.
this is the fun part. someone asks for opinions, and when you give one, someone else gets their panties twisted over it.
but that's what makes America great.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 PM
ssv3
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Then I upgraded to new wheels and decided to paint the calipers and sold the covers to a forum member.

Can't go wrong either way and don't pay attn to what anyone says.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:34 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Just say NO to caliper covers.

You aren't fooling anyone.

They are too big (disproportional) for the size of the disc.

The fake painted allen bolt heads multiple the cheese factor by 10.

Use this instead:

http://www.eastwood.com/review/product/list/id/4829/
as said in post #15 i dont want to mess with bleeding the system thats why i wont take them all the way off.

as for the size yes thats why i asked for pics and opinions. i had the covers on my miata and they looked ridiculous because they were way too big. i took them off, got my money back and painted them. so yes they look a little too big even on the vette. you guys have been great with the pics and opinions pro and con. but it looks like painting them is the way to go for me. thanks again for all the thoughts, everbody has been very helpfull.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by red2012
as said in post #15 i dont want to mess with bleeding the system thats why i wont take them all the way off.

as for the size yes thats why i asked for pics and opinions. i had the covers on my miata and they looked ridiculous because they were way too big. i took them off, got my money back and painted them. so yes they look a little too big even on the vette. you guys have been great with the pics and opinions pro and con. but it looks like painting them is the way to go for me. thanks again for all the thoughts, everbody has been very helpfull.
SMART DECISION.
go to a car show...out of 50-75-100 vettes 2-3 folks might have the brake covers....hang around those cars and listen to the comments as people walk by....those comments and the covers ain't pretty.

When I was 16 (way back in 1973) and got my first car and my first "mod" was a gas pedal cover...a big foot print out of alum that bolted over the pedal. I thought it was the coolest thing going...so did my 16 yr old friends.... the operative term being "16 yr old".

Now alot of 4-50-60 somethings go out and buy a Vette and their mind turns into that of a 16 yr old....the covers look like poser crap aka fake Z06/GS 6 piston brakes, they look cheap, they do not compliment the car....all your family members and friends tell you how great they look because they ARE your family and friends (they lie to make you feel better).

The rest of the corvette/car guy world is laughing at you....
Old 02-19-2012, 06:57 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
SMART DECISION.
go to a car show...out of 50-75-100 vettes 2-3 folks might have the brake covers....hang around those cars and listen to the comments as people walk by....those comments and the covers ain't pretty.

When I was 16 (way back in 1973) and got my first car and my first "mod" was a gas pedal cover...a big foot print out of alum that bolted over the pedal. I thought it was the coolest thing going...so did my 16 yr old friends.... the operative term being "16 yr old".

Now alot of 4-50-60 somethings go out and buy a Vette and their mind turns into that of a 16 yr old....the covers look like poser crap aka fake Z06/GS 6 piston brakes, they look cheap, they do not compliment the car....all your family members and friends tell you how great they look because they ARE your family and friends (they lie to make you feel better).

The rest of the corvette/car guy world is laughing at you....
i know most of the people say its your car and do whatever makes you happy and don't care what other people say. but as you said, even if 1 person is laughing behind my back thats one too many for me. im a very proud person and take what other people say about my car(good or bad) very seriously. thats why i like to gather alot of opinions and make a decision based from those opinions.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:00 PM
red2012
Safety Car

BTW i remember those big foot gas pedals. i hated them way back then.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:04 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

BTW i remember those big foot gas pedals. i hated them way back then.
"there's your sign"
Old 02-19-2012, 09:41 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

My opinion is no to the covers. They look cheap.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

i dont want to go thru the hassle of painting the calipers(but i will if need be)and sending them out for powder coating is not a option. how well do the caliper covers fit and how do they look. i already bought the red hub covers and drilled rotors and would like to complete the look.
There are a few threads on the forum showing how they look. They offer the look of the expensive big brake kits from Brembo, Wilwood or StopTech:

Originally Posted by richysvette
I have red covers on my grandsport that say corvette form west coast corvette. I wanted to paint them red or have them powdercoated but can't find anyone that could keep the corvette lettering. I think it looks nice, some like it, some don't.

Originally Posted by RPI Designs
We just released a new line of products. C6 Brake Caliper Covers. We have a batch due in on Wednesday 6-24-2009 and will begin to ship orders on Wednesday.

Hide those ugly calipers with ease and keep your wheels cleaner. We have incorporated technologies developed from the Aerospace and Recreation Industries to bring you a high quality product made here in the U.S.A.

Caliper Covers Features:
• Reduces Brake Dust
• Powder Coated Finish
• 6061-T6 Aerospace Aluminum
• Big Brake Look
• Easy Installation
• No tape, glue, paint or special tools required
• Patented Fastening System

Engineering Excellence:
• TIG Welded
• High Speed Engraved Characters
• Hydraulically formed
• Easy Install, Approx 10 Minutes Per Wheel

Available here: http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1588

These are available in Red and Black. Sold as a set of 4. Forum members can get the special price of $179.10/set when you enter coupon code SS2007 during checkout.

Originally Posted by Redshift
Great new products at PFYC

Check out some of our newest products at PFYC or click here for a full list. From the custom colored brake caliper covers to the illuminated door sills, you'll always be able to find something unique to customize your C6 at PFYC.

-----------------------------

Custom Colored Aluminum Brake Caliper Cover Set for C5 and C6 Corvette

----------------

LED Illuminated Logo Door Sills for C6 Corvette

----------------

C6 Corvette Billet Two Tone License Plate Frame

----------------

To see a full line-up of our new 2005-2011 Corvette C6 items, please click here.
To see a full line-up of our 2005-2011 Corvette C6 sales and specials, please click here.
Originally Posted by snowman0920
After buying my Vette last year, I, of course, started thinking about mods. I decided to add Corsa Sports and CAI then work on the outside. I found some awesome rims at COH, then added vent screens, blackout sidemarkers and tint.

I then decided I needed to do something about the ugly little calipers. I read every thread you guys have ever posted on caliper colors, painting vs powdercoating, etc, including some pretty universal negative feelings about covers. And, after agonizing all winter about what to do, I looked up some pictures of cars with covers, and decided I liked them anyway and that I thought they would work on my car. So, here it is... Love it or hate it. But, still feel free to tell me what you think. Pics are from the Corvette Expo in Sevierville last month.

Oh, yeah... the last picture shows what the judges at the show thought of my little experiment.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 02-19-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 AM
RabidVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Just say NO to caliper covers.

You aren't fooling anyone.

They are too big (disproportional) for the size of the disc.

The fake painted allen bolt heads multiple the cheese factor by 10.

Use this instead:

http://www.eastwood.com/review/product/list/id/4829/
, especially about the fake bolts. IMO a part like this doesn't belong on a Vette. I painted mine read 3 years ago and the paint is still flawless; this would be the option I would recommend.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

BTW does anyone know the actual touch up color for the C6Z caliper?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Vivid1
Burning Brakes

you could put these on you car along with the caliper covers:

Old 02-20-2012, 01:57 PM
RabidVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vivid1
you could put these on you car along with the caliper covers:

Maybe add some speed holes for good measure...

Last edited by RabidVette; 02-20-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahh haha caliper covers :puke:
Old 02-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Moonstruck
Advanced

Get notified of new replies

To any body got pics of their car with the red caliper covers

Old 02-20-2012, 04:01 PM
besz28
Pro

i know most of the people say its your car and do whatever makes you happy and don't care what other people say. but as you said, even if 1 person is laughing behind my back thats one too many for me. im a very proud person and take what other people say about my car(good or bad) very seriously. thats why i like to gather alot of opinions and make a decision based from those opinions.
if you seriously take what other people say about your car you wouldn't drive a Corvette, the majority of the people believe corvette owners are middle aged men going through a mid life crisis, and the older owners look like child molesters.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM
red2012
Safety Car

Originally Posted by besz28
if you seriously take what other people say about your car you wouldn't drive a Corvette, the majority of the people believe corvette owners are middle aged men going through a mid life crisis, and the older owners look like child molesters.
i dont want to sound crude here or start anything but maybe people look at YOU that way and maybe the circle of people you deal with look at corvette owners that way but i can assure you nobody i know looks at us owners this way. you better change the way YOU look or associate with different people. i've never heard of such bull **** in my life. WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE CORVETTE OWNERS ARE?
Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Vivid1
Burning Brakes

i dont want to sound crude here or start anything but maybe people look at YOU that way and maybe the circle of people you deal with look at corvette owners that way but i can assure you nobody i know looks at us owners this way. you better change the way YOU look or associate with different people. i've never heard of such bull **** in my life. WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE CORVETTE OWNERS ARE?

Maybe they just don't say it to your face. The Corvette has always been the poster child of the midlife crisis or a divorce.

Quick Reply: any body got pics of their car with the red caliper covers