C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polished, NOT chrome wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I've always preferred the more subtle 'bling' of a polished finish wheel versus chrome. I like my car to look nice but I'm not **** about having it look perfect. For me, a polished finish wheel looks great and involves less upkeep and maintenance. With chrome I'd feel compelled to maintain a mirror-like appearance at all times...lots of cleaning and polishing. With a polished finish wheel I can wash them and wipe them off with a damp rag. They look fine.

There are several decent wheel makers but I especially like CCW wheels. CCW has some great looking polished finish wheels like the SP16a:
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2012, 11:14 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
I believe the 08-09 Gumbys can be either chrome or polished.
I bought my previous 2008 vette new with polished aluminum wheels. They were an option at additional cost.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:17 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I've always preferred the more subtle 'bling' of a polished finish wheel versus chrome. I like my car to look nice but I'm not **** about having it look perfect. For me, a polished finish wheel looks great and involves less upkeep and maintenance. With chrome I'd feel compelled to maintain a mirror-like appearance at all times...lots of cleaning and polishing. With a polished finish wheel I can wash them and wipe them off with a damp rag. They look fine.

There are several decent wheel makers but I especially like CCW wheels. CCW has some great looking polished finish wheels like the SP16a:
My previous JSB '08 had polished wheels and I always wanted chrome. My '08 triple black vert has chrome. Careful what you ask for.

As you said, it seems compelling to keep them at a high shine. That is constant work.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 AM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think we are talking about two different things here.

IMHO, there is nothing better than polished aluminum Vette wheels from the factory. They sure are pretty. And the people who take care of them when they are new never have a problem cleaning them and they look great year after year.

But I bought two used Vettes with polished aluminum wheels that hadn't been taken care of and they were a nightmare to clean. I would spend hours on them and they still wouldn't look good.

Chrome is so much easier. I spent a little extra and got a set of take-off chrome wheels from a later model C6 and I ditched the polished aluminum on my 06 Vert. Cut the car care time in half and I still got forged wheels. Wash 'em, Wax 'em and Forget 'em.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Slare
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

To my knowledge the only factory widebody wheel that came in a polished finished was the Z06 10 spoke stars. 5 spoke and gumbys did too but those are base sizes/offsets.

Regarding the filler comment it is true, though I cannot say it has ever been an issue with Corvette wheels I know of examples on other GM wheels (F cars, in particular) where filler has been found by people stripping off painted wheels.

I'm not talking about 1/2" holes filled in by filler, but small, pinhead sized casting defects which happen in cast parts. Think of it like a heavy primer and you'd be on the right track. There have been a few service bulletins over the years relating to porosity based leaking and in some cases a sort of sealant/primer was found under factory paint by owners. Corporate Bulletin Number 05-03-10-006F is just one of them that references porosity leakage.

While I don't think it is likely, I personally would not want to take brand new factory painted wheels and have them polished out.

Last edited by Slare; 03-03-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:51 PM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 09 vert,Cyber Gray.I ordered it.I got the polished wheel.I only drive it in the summer. I wax wheels about 2-3 times a year.When I see chrome wheels,they seem to have more shine and I wish I had got the chrome wheels instead.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Just 4 2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

have polished on my c5 and c6 15 spoke. I like them but have to take them off and polish them about every 6 mo. If you get painted , I would get a set from CCW, I got a set of c6 painted I will sell.

Quick Reply: Polished, NOT chrome wheels?