C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for you manual tranny guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
A little gas while letting off the clutch will ease the shift
I think that's part of my problem. Need to work on my timing.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 978 Likes on 460 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Ha, shes the first one to say "your not going to let that little punk beat us are you"
I'll remember this when she calls on the phone right after I floor it and hit triple digits out on the country roads...lol
Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Garret
I'll remember this when she calls on the phone right after I floor it and hit triple digits out on the country roads...lol

But we never exceed the posted speed limits.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Garret
Race Director

But we never exceed the posted speed limits.
I don't recall seeing a posted limit on those country roads...
Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 PM
nevillej
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A fun problem to have, you really didn't want your wife in the car with you anyway did you? Simply sounds like you are letting out the clutch too fast and not accelerating with the gas pedal as you smoothly let out the clutch. If you don't give the car a bit of gas you will have very quick, snap your neck shifts all the time. It takes time to get use to a stick again and your dealing with a car with a lot of torque which will be a lot less forgiving than a 5 Speed Honda Accord.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:12 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Garret
I don't recall seeing a posted limit on those country roads...
Maybe we can talk Pat into taking us for a few runs down the runway where he has his plane hanger at.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by nevillej
A fun problem to have, you really didn't want your wife in the car with you anyway did you? Simply sounds like you are letting out the clutch too fast and not accelerating with the gas pedal as you smoothly let out the clutch. If you don't give the car a bit of gas you will have very quick, snap your neck shifts all the time. It takes time to get use to a stick again and your dealing with a car with a lot of torque which will be a lot less forgiving than a 5 Speed Honda Accord.
I sure do. I would miss her pointing out the ricers with the fart cans and laughing hysterically at them.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Jimsan
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't stomp the clutch pedal.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

So...Can your wife drive a stick?

And I'm not trying to be funny like "that"!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Torchsport
So...Can your wife drive a stick?

And I'm not trying to be funny like "that"!
Funny you asked that because today I told her I am going to take her out in the country and teach her.

Nice to have a backup driver just in case.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

Actually you don't want to "let off the gas"...What you want to do is rev match and let the clutch out smoothly from gear to gear as you go up......You get the shifter into the next gear quickly and add a little gas to maintain the rev while the clutch is down as you lift up on the clutch going into the next gear (almost one motion)..Your ear is your friend so practice with radio off lol...

My wifes head doesn't move unless I want it too....

With practice you can be as smooth as butter..soon you feet will think for you.

When you get it right it sounds sort of like an automatic only better and just as smooth.

Last edited by hawkgfr; 03-10-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Garret
Race Director

Funny you asked that because today I told her I am going to take her out in the country and teach her.

Nice to have a backup driver just in case.
Ok...lol...that is why I have an auto.lol...not that she cannot drive a 6 speed, but better safe than sorry...hehehe
Old 03-10-2012, 11:38 PM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

No doubt I need some more practice. I have less than a thousand miles on this one and I haven't had a manual in about 20 years.
I bought my manual Corvette this past November and I haven't owned a stick since I sold my Mustang II in 1979.

In my recent experience of doing what you're doing I'd guess you are dumping the clutch as quickly as possible while hitting the gas hard. I try to avoid doing this; not so much for passenger comfort but because it is still relatively cold out and the tires break lose a little more than I'd like.

I've noticed by wife's head bouncing around but so far she seems to really be enjoying the whole thing.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Oeberg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where I was born and raised you had to take your driver license road test on a stick. Unless you wanted a license that only allowed you to drive autos (wich nobody wanted sinde autos where looked at at as handicap equipment). My first time driving an auto transmission was when I came over to the states at age 28. Still se autos as handicap equipment. It's not that I dislike them, they are just so boring to drive.

To the thread starter.....the stick handling is only 10-15% of the reason you are jerking.....the more importent part is how you work your pedals.If you cant get your pedal sync right it doest matter how smoth you are i your stick handling.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:00 AM
quickcat
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

After six years with my C4 I knew how to work that 6speed like walking. I have had my Grand Sport now for about six weeks and am still trying to get used to it. Honestly I think it is trying to get used to me too. I am working on dialing in my slow speed shifting for now. My fast shifts are terrible because I haven't gotten the pedal coordination together yet. The clutch on my new car lets out down at the bottom of the pedal where my old car was closer to the top. Big difference in muscle memory. I think when I am good at slow speed the fast ones will be easy to tune in.

Keep practicing.

Matt
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Under hard acceleration, assuming you know how to launch and speed shift, the gear changes should be quite similiar to that of an automatic transmission, and have a similiar effect on your passenger. While downshifting, if you rev match correctly, the process should be smoother than with an automatic.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Under hard acceleration, assuming you know how to launch and speed shift, the gear changes should be quite similiar to that of an automatic transmission, and have a similiar effect on your passenger. While downshifting, if you rev match correctly, the process should be smoother than with an automatic.
I can only hope to be half that good by the end of summer.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for you manual tranny guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:14 PM
tac328
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The whiplash is caused by opening the clutch while you're still accelerating then closing it quickly with open throttle. I'd say its normal, if you want to smooth it out you can feather the clutch rather than dropping it, chews up your clutch a bit. Even if you rev match your upshift perfectly you'll still get the 'forward' jerk from opening the clutch under acceleration.

try an experiment - 1st gear WOT then let off the gas and open the clutch simultaneously, you'll feel the weight transfer forward. can't really get rid of that transfer if you wanna go hard.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:18 PM
AC04
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up my MN6 in August. I have about 1500 miles under my belt. I never owned a manual but have driven many albeit 15 years ago. I find it is harder to be smooth going from 0 to 35 versus when I can get out of the gate quickly, say from like a toll plaza and get her up to 65,70.

OP - good luck, we will get smoother
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
...being thrown back in the seat is the fun part of it all...!
Hey Gary, you threw me into the back of your seat 50 times.....oh, wait - we agreed we would not tell anyone. My bad :o

we were burnishing the brakes on his ZR1

Last edited by jschindler; 03-11-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Question for you manual tranny guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!