C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best CAI for new GS purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 06:50 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
If it's not a MF103, then it has the MAF in the stock location. This intake was introduced last summer.

Yea, I was just looking at Halltech website, I don't have the newer MF103 design.

Originally Posted by jpee
I sort of disagree... you say its not worth $400 to gain 10hp.. well lets multiply that by x10

So we are now spending $4000 to gain 100 hp I'd do that any day of the week..

Take a supercharger to buy & have one installed we're looking at app $10,000 + or - $1000 and the gain is about 150 hp (just my guess)

I spent over $1500 for a set of catted KOOKS and $400 for a Vararam CAI + $xxx for a tune..thats all I've done total expense is about $2400 and I only make 390 hp on a dyno.. & to be "HONEST" I DON'T CARE what HP it makes as long as it will give me good # at the track..

So far my best ET is 11.98 @ 117 mph.... but to be honest that run was made in "KILLER NJ AIR" in the warmer weather I'll probably run 12.30 + or - ... Bottom line $400 for 10 "HONEST" HP is a good deal in my eyes..

I just thought of this and added it after I posted....please give me an "honest" reply..

How much $$ do you think Warren Johnson, or Greg Anderson, or Jeggs, would "PAY" to gain 10 more HP!!!!
I understand, and I don't think there is a "right" answer, to each person its different... what my comment was aimed at that you quoted, is guys that buy these intakes and throw them on an otherwise stock car , stock tune expecting to pick up a good amount of HP are realizing they didn;t really get the bang for buck they expected...
Not to split hairs, but my 400 price for the Halltech was wrong, and also for the otehrs, most of the true CAI intake are running just over 500 bucks

I think you also gave a good example...you got kooks headers and CAI etc... but you had your car Tuned to get the best bang for those mods, and to not leave any HP (or lower ET times as you point out) on the table

In terms of Warren Johnson, Jeggs etc..... you can't really compare those guys to the average guy surfing the forum here with a stock Corvette who might run down the 1/4 mile or track once or twice a year...those guys are professional race car drivers... if I raced for a living, and stood to win a boatload of money winning a race...hell I'd pay 1,000 bucks to gain 5HP

Last edited by FrankTank; 03-22-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee
Peter is always moding, now that his garage is empty he has withdrawal symptoms.... He should go to Jaguars 3 and relieve the pressure.

I am feeling 100% better these days. I must come by.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:07 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
The IAT sensor is in the MAF. No shroud to cut. You can remove the entire system in a few minutes and return it to stock.
Thanks that is the product I would go with (Halltech). How does the Beehive mount against the front? I currently use a Speed Lingerie Bra that has velcro on what is the rear top edge of the front bumper. I guess I should look at pics more close.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Thanks that is the product I would go with (Halltech). How does the Beehive mount against the front? I currently use a Speed Lingerie Bra that has velcro on what is the rear top edge of the front bumper. I guess I should look at pics more close.
here is a thread with a pic...it may or may not...the front seal might go up against it.. hard to tell

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...and-video.html

Last edited by FrankTank; 03-22-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:02 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
here is a thread with a pic...it may or may not...the front seal might go up against it.. hard to tell

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...and-video.html
I noticed in the video that you can see the screws until the front seal was installed. How important is the front seal on the Halltech. I would like to see someone with a Speed Lingerie bra installed with the Halltech. Anyone out there?
Old 03-22-2012, 08:55 PM
johnebgoode
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
check out the Attack Blue from TKO Performance. Talk to ED, he will tell you all about it.
I'm running the Attack Blue in my '11 GS A6 with the Z06 air bridge.
ARH headers and a tune...12.09 @ 117mph

Last edited by johnebgoode; 03-22-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:18 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I noticed in the video that you can see the screws until the front seal was installed. How important is the front seal on the Halltech. I would like to see someone with a Speed Lingerie bra installed with the Halltech. Anyone out there?
The seal is merely cosmetic, sorta "finishes off" the OEM look. I still haven't installed mine (seal).

You shouldn't have any issues with your speed bra.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

I haven't installed my rubber seal either.

Quick Reply: Best CAI for new GS purchase?