C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Peddle on the floor

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Canuck C6 Vette
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Peddle on the floor

I have a 2005 with 14,000 miles on it. I recently took it out of storage and on my second drive I shifted from 2nd to 3rd and the clutch peddle will not come back off the floor with out manually pulling it back. The clutch is NOT engaged. The car will start when I put the peddle to the floor. The fluid was slightly low, I filled it and pumped the peddle but this did not help. The fluid is also pretty black. Is this a fluid / air problem, or is it something bigger? If anyone has any advise it would be quite appreciated!!!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

While it "could be" a bad master cylinder or slave cylinder, it is most likely due to contaminated fluid. I'm just going to guess that you haven't been keeping up with regular fluid replacement since you said it's "pretty black".

So, before getting too upset and spending a lot of money, check these 2 threads that contain 2 TSB's about the issue.

Do this one first and see what happens:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/kens...al-effort.html

Then check this one, the TSB is in post #3. Then check Ranger's post #4 that contains a link to his DIY clutch fluid replacement procedure:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/kens...1982105-a.html

Good luck, let us know what happens.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Change the clutch fluid.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Canuck C6 Vette
3rd Gear

Thanks Guys, I have not been keeping up the fluid changes the dealership I bought it from last summer said they replaced all the fluids. My fault should have been checking it more regularily. I will let you know how I make out.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

Might also be a broken return spring. The spring is located on the clutch pedal arm and it is not unusual for them to break.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

My 2005 has had the same problem after years of hard track use. Considering the power I put down and how I use the car I'm surprised the OEM clutch lasted as long as it did. FWIW it's not necessarily contaminated fluid. I 'flush/change' the clutch fluid regularly. The problem can be caused several different things. The problem could be the slave cylinder simply gets old and worn and air leaks into the system (part of the slave cylinder is like a plastic bellows). Mine was an intermittent problem for a while and then at a track in California, once the car got hot I couldn't shift gears....when I got off track I had trouble even getting it in neutral (made for interesting if somewhat slow lap times).

FWIW I replaced both the slave and master cylinders. I had it on the track this past weekend and sadly, I still have the problem at times. It's way better than it was (and I ran decent lap times) but when the car gets hot the clutch pedal still isn't quite where it should be. I'm back to the drawing board.

I'd check and make sure the pedal linkage is OK and that the clutch return assist spring is intact and where it should be. Try flushing out your fluid many, many times (per the 'Ranger Method'). See if that helps. Unfortunately, Chevy doesn't give us an easy way to bleed the clutch fluid. If you ever have to get into it have an remote bleeder valve installed...make it easy to bleed the fluid (and purge air) if need be in the future. If the problem persists try the path of least resistance first...replace both the master and slave cylinders (it's not particularly easy to replace the slave....lots of pieces-parts to remove). Make sure the old fluid is purged, replaced and the system bled to remove any air. Chances are that'll cure the problem. Good luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

That happened to me a couple of times. I have used a turkey baster to suck out the clutch fluid; not much comes out. Then depress the clutch pedal quite a few times; someone once mentioned at least 15 times. You should replace the fluid with DOT4, not DOT 3, brake fluid. Yes, brake fluid.

It will get dirty brown rather quickly, so you'll repeat the process a few times.

BTW, the clutch sticking to the floor only occurred when I downshifted and then gunned it.

Last edited by 2vettes; 03-27-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:42 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Sounds like a slave cylinder gone bad. My '06 had the same problem; it was replaced under warranty/GMPP.

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:48 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

2005's had the clutch sticking to the floor problem because the fluid would heat up to much or something along those lines.I forget exactly as it was a long time ago.Do a search and/or look up in FAQ section for more info.Happened to me a couple of times when I had my 05.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Canuck C6 Vette
3rd Gear

Well replaced the fluid using the Ranger Method. No presure on the peddle and still going to the floor with no re bound to the up position. Does this sound like I am into a slave and or master cylinder replacement? I checked the spring and it looks intact.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:24 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Canuck C6 Vette
Well replaced the fluid using the Ranger Method. No presure on the peddle and still going to the floor with no re bound to the up position. Does this sound like I am into a slave and or master cylinder replacement? I checked the spring and it looks intact.
Yup - see my post #8 above.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Peddle on the floor

Quick Reply: Clutch Peddle on the floor