C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Jake' Brake light decal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 'Jake' Brake light decal?

Anyone ever tried a 'Jake' or any other decal on their brake lights. I was thinking the far right hand light with somewhat dark window tint. I know there's a ton of 3rd brake light decals (had one on the Mustang) but I couldn't find anything for the regular lights.

Florida is pretty relaxed with their laws regarding tint and other things like HID lights so that shouldn't be an issue. Any ideas on how dark the tint should be? I might try a vinyl plotter and if that doesn't work a good razor blade and steady hand maybe.

I thought about just the outline of the skull and the flags being the only actual tint. Everything else would be left open... or possibly the complete opposite... depends on how it looks I guess.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 PM
SimpleC6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's a Jake in this context?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:50 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,266 Likes on 507 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

Wow, never seen a 'Vette with a Jake Brake . . . (sorry, a little trucker humor).
Old 04-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by fyreline
Wow, never seen a 'Vette with a Jake Brake . . . (sorry, a little trucker humor).
10-4 good buddy.

To maintain the proportions of the Jake Skull it's going to have to be pretty small to fit on the 3rd brake light.

I like the idea though.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

I drew one up an it's not too bad. I might try one freehand but I think I'm going to get the appropriate sized vinyl cutout and put it on the brake light. Then I'll layer some VHT nightshades right over it and peel it off. That way the decal is the area not tinted and the rest of the light is... makes the skull large enough to see. I just need to get the layers even and maybe shine it up a little so it doesn't look bad during the day.

Here's my 'artistic rendition' of the tail lights.... we'll see how it works out.

Last edited by Kadorja; 04-10-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:56 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Idea.....why dont you put some brighter bulbs in your tailights, and then put one of the plastic blackout kits over the tailights.

That would eliminate the concern how the tail lights would look during the day.

I have been toying with doing this myself, but due to recent health issues, I had put off doing it. I would stress myself out if it didnt turn out just right.

I do think it would look awesome.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Originally Posted by RACE U
Idea.....why dont you put some brighter bulbs in your tailights, and then put one of the plastic blackout kits over the tailights.

That would eliminate the concern how the tail lights would look during the day.

I have been toying with doing this myself, but due to recent health issues, I had put off doing it. I would stress myself out if it didnt turn out just right.

I do think it would look awesome.
Well the only issue I have with the VHT is that without being sanded down it looks grainy. I had some on my Mustangs hidden fog lights and it looked ok because they where behind the grille. I would like it to be somewhat visible even with the tail light off.

I think I am going to have my roommate print me off a vinyl tonight and this weekend I will layer on some VHT and wet sand/buff the whole thing and then remove the vinyl. It will have a nice solid dark layer that looks decent. I just don't really like the blacked out look. My car is black and having some accents to it look nice. I just want the skull to pop out at you without it being too permanent but also unique. The VHT scrapes off pretty easily with some goo gone and plastic scraper.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Something like

Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

great idea i like it. make sure to post some pics when done.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:48 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by Kadorja
Well the only issue I have with the VHT is that without being sanded down it looks grainy. I had some on my Mustangs hidden fog lights and it looked ok because they where behind the grille. I would like it to be somewhat visible even with the tail light off.

I think I am going to have my roommate print me off a vinyl tonight and this weekend I will layer on some VHT and wet sand/buff the whole thing and then remove the vinyl. It will have a nice solid dark layer that looks decent. I just don't really like the blacked out look. My car is black and having some accents to it look nice. I just want the skull to pop out at you without it being too permanent but also unique. The VHT scrapes off pretty easily with some goo gone and plastic scraper.
I see. I was just trying to brainstorm a little. Yeah, the jake would be kind of hard to see during the day without the brake lights on.

I currently have the LED Corvette Flag Tailights on my car. They look strange on the back of the car during the day, and they are so damn bright that they can easily blind the driver behind me.

I ended up putting a set of the hard plastic black out kits from RPI designs. The lights were then visable during the day and eliminated the blinding light at night. They also cured my the problem where I thought they looked strange (almost cheap) during the day.

I am really curious to see how yours turns out. Keep posting updates.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:41 AM
Vicious Vettes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-12-2012, 05:43 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Sorry guys I haven't been able to get anything worked on just yet. I have been trying to figure out my leaky supercharger and messed up tensioner issue. I got some parts on order for that and hopefully I can get a trial tail light decal cut out this weekend. I'm probably going to cut out the skull from some reflective material I have and put it on some clear plastic and spray it just to see if the vinyl will be easy to remove after I layer the VHT over it. If the demo piece looks good I'm getting a real one cut out or doing it myself if I can cut halfway decent.

Definitely should have some pictures up this weekend of what the general outcome should look like... unless I have to work or end up drinking myself like last night. I woke up laying in my bathroom at 5AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:27 PM
scootertrash19
Racer

Old 04-13-2012, 02:59 PM
ILLUSHN
Safety Car

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

^^^
Old 04-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think it's something I'd do but go for it! I suggest you make Jake very faint....almost ghost like. Have people wondering if they saw what they think they saw. Post pics when it's done. Good luck!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Well I tried a test run today and the vinyl I grabbed was extremely easy to tear and stuck like crazy. I have the perfect size but I think I'm going to try blue painters tape and see if I can get a decent decal out of that and put a few coats down maybe tonight or tomorrow.

This is almost how I want it... just a little bigger but reverse of how this is... so the outside edge is the tinted part along with the eyes and the skull part is clear.

Get notified of new replies

To 'Jake' Brake light decal?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Alright well here's a test run I finished. It's pretty dark and I went with some heavier layers and no buffing of any kind but it looks alright. I think I have the perfect sized decal I can order as well.

Figured this would give some decent comparisons to how much light it lets through and how it would look with the brake light off and on... also its the exact size I want it right there. Not too bad and I think it would let the brake light through pretty well.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Navy Chief
Advanced

Looks good
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Another update... figured I might as well try this out before I went any farther. Not the best since the plastic is reflective and it looks odd but I think it looks pretty nice. I don't know why I put it on the left light when I really wanted to put it on the right light but it looks nice either way. I'll have to decide soon I guess.

Also you will have to imagine it tinted all the way to the edges. The only place where it will be clear is the center of the skull besides where the eyes/flags are. The places where the tape is touching will be the same color tint. I think it will look pretty sick lit up and when the lights are out you will really see the skull pop. The placement is pretty nice too... I'll have to see if I can get it just right again I love the picture where it looks like it's just the Corvette crossed flags.

Quick Reply: 'Jake' Brake light decal?