C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestone tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 02:55 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Firestone tires?

I know there are numerous post about tires. I would like to hear from people that have purchased tires other than Michelins. I have been going back in forth on what to get.
I live in Louisiana.
I drive my car. It is driven in the rain but not when it's bad. I do have a habit of getting on it sometimes and love to hang corners
Any info would be great. The OEMs are about gone and I would like to make a road trip soon!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Whatever

I know there are numerous post about tires. I would like to hear from people that have purchased tires other than Michelins. I have been going back in forth on what to get.
I live in Louisiana.
I drive my car. It is driven in the rain but not when it's bad. I do have a habit of getting on it sometimes and love to hang corners
Any info would be great. The OEMs are about gone and I would like to make a road trip soon!
I installed Bridgestones on my Z06 and are very happy with them.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:16 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Since you mention Firestone specifically and I am assuming runflats, since you don't say, I've heard that the Firestones are pretty good all around tire but folks are leery about their "Do not repair" written on the tire sidewall.
I tend to like Michelins but you seem to have a bias against them so I can't help much more...
Old 04-16-2012, 03:26 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I put firestone runflats on my wifes vert 3 years ago and they are smooth, quiet and never seem to wear.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I put Friestone Wide Oval runflats on my last vette (2008) when the OEMs wore. I loved them and I will put them on my "new" 2008 vert when the time comes.

They are quiet, smooth (softer), they handle well and they were much less than Michelins.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:34 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I hate runflats with a passion, but if its a must... The Wide ovals are way better then the stock goodyears.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

I went from OEM Z51 super car RF tires to Firestone runflats.
They indeed may be quieter.
Traction is fine.
No negative comment.

I'd buy them again.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts
Tech Contributor

I had a set of Potenza non-flats on my '04 C5, and they were super-quiet with great handling characteristics
Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Mach2
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Previous owner replaced the Goodyear RF's with Firestone Wide Oval RFT's when I got the 2010 Coupe from CarMax last October. During the test drive I noticed how quiet the tires were compared to the Goodyear RF's that were on my C5 I had back in 2008. Very happy with the Firestones and they qrip well too. Nice to get a run flat that's quieter and cheaper $$$ wise than what is stock on the C6 Coupe.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:26 PM
glm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've have very good luck with my Firestone wide ovals.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:43 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I like my Firestone's and I had one repaired by Discount Tire, 1500 miles since the repair and no issues. The "Do not repair" on the sidewall will stop some shops from repairing the tire but it can be repaired just as well as any other RF tire.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:50 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I have had Firestone Wide Oval tires back when we had a C5 Z06, and they were actually not good at all in terms of traction. Granted they were significantly cheaper, too. Seems like the old saying is valid in this case: you gotta pay to play. If you are not pushing your car much, though, it might be an excellent choice considering the low noise levels and the price point.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:55 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Firestone Run-Flat's smooth & noise free!!
Old 04-16-2012, 05:46 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJoe
Since you mention Firestone specifically and I am assuming runflats, since you don't say, I've heard that the Firestones are pretty good all around tire but folks are leery about their "Do not repair" written on the tire sidewall.
I tend to like Michelins but you seem to have a bias against them so I can't help much more...
Yes I want runflats for sure. Which Michelins do you like the best?

Originally Posted by Ozer
I have had Firestone Wide Oval tires back when we had a C5 Z06, and they were actually not good at all in terms of traction. Granted they were significantly cheaper, too. Seems like the old saying is valid in this case: you gotta pay to play. If you are not pushing your car much, though, it might be an excellent choice considering the low noise levels and the price point.
What are you riding on?
I don't mind spending money on Michelins but don't know which ones is best for my driving habits. I will drive in the rain but not if it is a down pour. I like to hit the corners at times and Do enjoy getting on the highway.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

I have heard good things about the Firestone RFT tire for the C6. My only problem with them is that they say "DO NOT REPAIR" on the sidewall and Firestone says on their website that such tires should not be repaired. I do not doubt that they can probably be repaired as well as any other tire but since I frequently drive my car out of town, I do not want to have a puncture and then have some small town tire place refuse to fix it. I would then be stuck...this is a Firestone dealbreaker for me. If the car never goes very far from home, then this might be OK. Following Firestone's policies means that one nail means a new tire....for me, not acceptable.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:08 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6Whatever
Yes I want runflats for sure. Which Michelins do you like the best?

What are you riding on?
I don't mind spending money on Michelins but don't know which ones is best for my driving habits. I will drive in the rain but not if it is a down pour. I like to hit the corners at times and Do enjoy getting on the highway.
I was using Bridgestone runflat tires on my C6 Z06, and was happy with them, even though the traction was never excellent (perhaps due to LS7 having ample torque down low).

On my Grand Sport, I recently bought a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports for street use. On brand new OEM GY Eagle F1 tires, I was having traction issues even at mild launches from traffic light in ideal conditions. The PSS tires literally removed all that unwanted lateral movement. They provide good traction when it's wet out, too.

I bought a separate set of wheels (OEM old-style light Z06 wheels) and shod them with Sport Cup tires (295 fronts, 345 rears) for track use. I am yet to try this set-up. I was going to try them on April 8th, but could not attend the track day, so I will have to wait until the next time: May 10th
Old 04-16-2012, 06:15 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by cclive
I have heard good things about the Firestone RFT tire for the C6. My only problem with them is that they say "DO NOT REPAIR" on the sidewall and Firestone says on their website that such tires should not be repaired. I do not doubt that they can probably be repaired as well as any other tire but since I frequently drive my car out of town, I do not want to have a puncture and then have some small town tire place refuse to fix it. I would then be stuck...this is a Firestone dealbreaker for me. If the car never goes very far from home, then this might be OK. Following Firestone's policies means that one nail means a new tire....for me, not acceptable.
My 2 cents (i.e. not facts, my opinion):
Repair is usually not recommended for high-speed-rated tires even if they are not run-flats anyway. To be honest, whatever brand it is, if you get it patched, I think you're better of not driving them fast anymore.

They usually not recommend patching for anything with H or faster speed rating, so I'd say you should never exceed 130 MPH (H max speed rating) with a patched tire. I am probably doing an overkill here, but better be safe than sorry! Losing control at 100+ MPH with a blown tire would be plain horrific.

Get notified of new replies

To Firestone tires?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:20 PM
Tide Will Roll!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going by your profile it looks like you have a 08w/Z51.

My car is a 09 w/Z51. I have an appointment in the morning to get new Michelin AS and alignment.

The was I see tires pecking order is
Michelin, Goodyear, Firestone, Bridgestone.
or
Michelin,Firestone,Goodyear,Bridgestone

Not trying to start a argument, just my personal opinion

Firstone do not repair policy is also a deal breaker for me.

Bert

Roll Tide!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 PM
ROC OUT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedraider
I put firestone runflats on my wifes vert 3 years ago and they are smooth, quiet and never seem to wear.

Originally Posted by bonnell
I put Friestone Wide Oval runflats on my last vette (2008) when the OEMs wore. I loved them and I will put them on my "new" 2008 vert when the time comes.

They are quiet, smooth (softer), they handle well and they were much less than Michelins.

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
I went from OEM Z51 super car RF tires to Firestone runflats.
They indeed may be quieter.
Traction is fine.
No negative comment.

I'd buy them again.

Originally Posted by Ozer
My 2 cents (i.e. not facts, my opinion):
Repair is usually not recommended for high-speed-rated tires even if they are not run-flats anyway. To be honest, whatever brand it is, if you get it patched, I think you're better of not driving them fast anymore.

They usually not recommend patching for anything with H or faster speed rating, so I'd say you should never exceed 130 MPH (H max speed rating) with a patched tire. I am probably doing an overkill here, but better be safe than sorry! Losing control at 100+ MPH with a blown tire would be plain horrific.
I have the Firestone Wide Oval Runflats and love them. Put about 8K on them since new and they still handle and look as if there is no wear. Those that are worried about repairing them, just do like me and buy the road hazard warranty from Discount Tire. DT didn't sell me the tires but they will issue road hazard warranty on new tires.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:30 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I am very happy with the Firestone Run Flats. So are my friends. If you are concerned about the Do Not Repair on th tire then just buy the Road Hazard Warranty for about 25 or so dollars a tire. Even with that expense you are still doing very well on the price...

Quick Reply: Firestone tires?