C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Problem(?).

Old 04-24-2012, 02:32 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,810 Likes on 2,058 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Remember, when you have HID fog lights, if you flash your high beams, you will mess up the fog lights and they both might not relight. Never flash high beams when you are running HID fogs. The fogs go out when you flash the high beams. So you are double blinking the fogs on/off and that is murder on ballasts.

Elmer
Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Good point.

If you want you can tie the high beam and fog light circuits together so they both are on at the same time.

Not a project for someone without some electronic DIY skills and there is an inherent, albeit very small, risk to the computer controlling the lights.

Plus it's guaranteed to get the attention of any LEO that sees you coming with 6 lights on. And if you added the HID high beams as well..........OMG.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 04-24-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Remember, when you have HID fog lights, if you flash your high beams, you will mess up the fog lights and they both might not relight. Never flash high beams when you are running HID fogs. The fogs go out when you flash the high beams. So you are double blinking the fogs on/off and that is murder on ballasts.

Elmer
This already happens when you use factory set-up halogen high beams with halogen fogs where fogs automatically shut off but it''s built in like that for some reason and there is no harm done unlike when using a ballast for HID set up.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:46 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Some vehicles with daytime running lamps, "auto" lamps, "bulb-out" indicators, and/or pulsed voltage systems (PWM) will need a harness or other add-ons to avoid problems with proper operation. In addition, a small number of any make, model, and year of vehicles can have restrictions in the stock wiring that will create operational issues that will require the use of a wiring harness.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON
This already happens when you use factory set-up halogen high beams with halogen fogs where fogs automatically shut off but it''s built in like that for some reason and there is no harm done unlike when using a ballast for HID set up.
I wonder that if the HID driving lights and the HID low beams are on and you do a flash to pass, do the two HID systems (HID driving lights and HID low beams) compete for voltage coming back on thus causing one to not light if you don't have the relay on the driving lights?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:57 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Slider-01
I wonder that if the HID driving lights and the HID low beams are on and you do a flash to pass, do the two HID systems (HID driving lights and HID low beams) compete for voltage coming back on thus causing one to not light if you don't have the relay on the driving lights?
Unlike the factory system with halogen hi-beams and HID low beams you loose the flash to pass feature when you have the HID high beams and the HID low beams. I wonder if there was a reason why GM put halogen bulbs in hi-beams?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Unlike the factory system with halogen hi-beams and HID low beams you loose the flash to pass feature when you have the HID high beams and the HID low beams. I wonder if there was a reason why GM put halogen bulbs in hi-beams?
Ya, that's why I posed the question. I was wondering the same thing.
Hard to imagine the low beams an the HID driving lights not competing for power. So, if you add the relay it basically wires the HID driving lights directly to the battery which gives hem their own power source.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Slider-01
Ya, that's why I posed the question. I was wondering the same thing.
Hard to imagine the low beams an the HID driving lights not competing for power. So, if you add the relay it basically wires the HID driving lights directly to the battery which gives hem their own power source.
One of the vendors in here told me that you will lose the flash to pass feature if you do the high beam HID install which is why he didn't recommend it.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Default Problems with website?

For some reason I have noticed that since this afternoon this website has been very slow in sending responses out and or getting in.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:22 PM
Slider-01
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

One of the vendors in here told me that you will lose the flash to pass feature if you do the high beam HID install which is why he didn't recommend it.
Ya, that's why I'm wondering if that's the reason they didn't put in HID driving lights too!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

QUOTE=Slider-01;1580643649]Ya, that's why I'm wondering if that's the reason they didn't put in HID driving lights too![/QUOTE]

Is this application only on the Corvette having HID lows and halogen highs?
What about other car companies like Audi, BMW or Mercedes? I see those cars on the road and during the day i.e. BMW may have all 4 lights on (daytime lights?) dimly lit. Unless these cars have a different type of headlight system. Audi has a string of what looks like a LED strip as a DRL which is very bright.[

Last edited by LS WON; 04-25-2012 at 10:38 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight Problem(?).