C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do some buy a Corvette and never use it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 01:00 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,951 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

oh, big deal! because they can.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Not everything needs to be flogged daily to extract enjoyment. For some, a Corvette is only one item in a cornucopia of enjoyment options and opportunities . . .
Old 05-09-2012, 01:04 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Sounds right to me.
Originally Posted by michaelinmech

Not everything needs to be flogged daily to extract enjoyment. For some, a Corvette is only one item in a cornucopia of enjoyment options and opportunities . . .
Old 05-09-2012, 01:05 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SGRET
Good question! As for me, I am retired so I don't have somewhere to go every day. But when I do comes the next dilemma. I have 3 Corvettes so I must choose which one to drive, my '75 Convertible with 40K miles, '99 FRC with 25K miles or the '08 Z06 with 12K miles ...choices, choices, choices!!!
You must be my long lost twin brother.

I'm retired, so I don't just get in one of my 3 Corvettes(and a DD Mercedes) everyday, just to add miles to my cars, to make other people happy.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:08 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by landsteam
I just got it this past weekend, a 2012 Centennial GS with manual.
I plan on driving it as often as I can.
Just today I spoke with someone who has an 2008 convert and said he drove it only 20 times.
Congrats and drive her as much or as little as YOU want...I have 27K on my 2008
Old 05-09-2012, 01:08 PM
F65MPH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Garage art. Who lot cheaper than buying the $120M the Scream painting.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 PM
RickintheOC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not me! I bought a brand new Vert last month and it is my DD. I commute four days a week in L.A. traffic 4 days a week and 70 mile round trip. Plus I drive it on the weekends. I already have 1,500 miles on it and I have only have it a month.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:11 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Just today I spoke with someone who has an 2008 convert and said he drove it only 20 times.
It's called life, and besides, So what????

Do you lie awake at night worrying about why people don't drive their vettes?

If it helps you sleep better, I have an '08 with 2200 miles on it, however I travel a ton for business so time is limited, and I also have 5 kids from ages 5-14 so spending time with family (sports, vacations, bike riding, etc) far outweighs the need to drive my vette. Also let's not forget that 5-6 months are eaten up by winter.

Unlike your's, mine is completely paid for so what I choose to do with "my car" is my business (unless you're offering cash to buy it, then you can make it your business).

I also have a 66 Mustang convertible GT with 30K on the odometer, would you like to tell me I should drive that more too. I also have a 68 Mustang Coupe I have stripped down to the unibody doing a complete restoration so if you're worried about that one, I hope it being in hundreds of pieces is a good enough excuse for you as to why I'm not driving that one.

In the end, it,s really none of your business however.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:14 PM
IDSRVIT
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

If it helps you sleep better, I have an '08 with 2200 miles on it, however I travel a ton for business so time is limited, and I also have 5 kids from ages 5-14 so spending time with family (sports, vacations, bike riding, etc) far outweighs the need to drive my vette. Also let's not forget that 5-6 months are eaten up by winter.

Unlike your's, mine is completely paid for so what I choose to do with "my car" is my business (unless you're offering cash to buy it, then you can make it your business).

I also have a 66 Mustang convertible GT with 30K on the odometer, would you like to tell me I should drive that more too. I also have a 68 Mustang Coupe I have stripped down to the unibody doing a complete restoration so if you're worried about that one, I hope it being in hundreds of pieces is a good enough excuse for you as to why I'm not driving that one.

In the end, it's really none of your business however.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also see Corvettes for sale with very low mileage.
It's like people buy it just to look at it.
How many on this forum use the car on a regular basis?
They go down in value even if the just sit in the garage.
why do people buy guns and never fire them? Why do vette owners buy ground effects and color matched door handles? What difference does it make? It is their money and their cars, those who eventually buy their cars from them do not complain... Let us support diversity without questioning any possible motivation
Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
Maybe it's for the same reason that some don't post on the forum very often. Personal preference? Doing your own thing?

Originally Posted by 3GenVettes
Because it pleases them. Why do people post threads asking this kind of question?

Good for you, you do what you want and I'll do the same. Why does how often I drive my Vette bother you?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT

In the end, it's really none of your business however.

Life is too short...
Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM
landsteam
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

I must of hit a raw nerve for some people. I am not trying to offend anyone or get in anyone's personal business. I will refrain from posting such dumb questions in the future.

Last edited by landsteam; 05-09-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

I must of hit a raw nerve for some people. I am not trying to offend anyone or get in anyone's personal business. I will refrain from posting such dumb questions in the future.
2latte
Old 05-09-2012, 01:28 PM
loflite
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 28 Posts

People buy cars for different reasons. I use my vettes as much as possible but not as much as I would like because of work. On the other hand, I've got a friend who prides himself on the low miles he puts on his cars. I've given him a lot of grief about it. His explanation is hard to argue with. While I buy my cars to be driven, he enjoys just owning them, tinkering with them and polishing them, driving them just enough to keep them maintained. He says to each their own.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
KarrMar
KarrMar
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loflite
he enjoys just owning them, tinkering with them and polishing them, driving them just enough to keep them maintained. He says to each their own.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do some buy a Corvette and never use it?

Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts

This topic comes up almost once per week. If you are that interested, use the seach function and look up what everyone has said in the past.

There really is nothing new to add.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

>>Also I find that as a weekend car I really enjoy and look fwd to driving it more.

Never thought about that was. Kind of like sex, so much more exciting if you only do it once a month. Plan on driving the 2008+ manual/coupe I am looking for now most all the time that there is no snow on the ground.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:41 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a truck that I drive every day to get back and forth to work, run errands and whatever, doesn't bother me if I get some dings or tar from the road on it, I reasonably maintain it but not a fanatic about keeping it clean. years back when I was younger I had a 1974 Corvette and I drove it everyday because I couldn't afford more than one car, Now I drive the the Vette for mostly pleasure, trips but not for daily driving, I don't care how well you maintain a car if you want to keep them in like new condition, having one that is a daily driver is difficult and I would say near impossible to do, I like having a car that is always clean, waxed and one that I enjoy driving to go out to dinner in, or out on a Friday or Saturday night or Sunday trip, that's why I bought my present Vette, and please don't tell me that a car that is driven as a daily driver everyday sooner or later doesn't show the signs of the road, I like my car to look as new as possible for as long as possible, not saying there's anything wrong with a Vette as a daily driver i've done it, but when I bought mine I looked for a low mileage Vette and knew it wouldn't be driven to work everyday.

Quick Reply: Why do some buy a Corvette and never use it?