C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 AM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by LDB
I absolutely did not say that Costco or any other “generic” gas had problems. All gas must meet minimum EPA standards for additives. However, those standards are based on additive concentrations, not on actual engine testing. That’s why GM and other car companies came up with top tier. There are several different “flavors” of additives. Going top tier makes them prove their effectiveness with actual engine tests, not just additive concentrations. You can rely on the fact that if you tore down engines after 50000 miles, those running top tier would be cleaner than those running generic. For about the zillionth time, that doesn’t mean engines that ran generic gas would be dirty. It means just what it says. Top tier engines would be cleaner. As far as branding on the delivery trucks, most delivery is done by independent delivery companies, not the oil companies themselves. But their contracts are such that if they are delivering to Chevron, you can be sure they are adding Techron, and if to Shell, they have the nitrogen enriched package, etc. As stated earlier, sometimes you get top tier at a non-branded station, but you never get gas that isn’t top tier at a top tier station.
Actually, they are lab apparatus 'engines' that they use to test....and of course, as you know, the tests are not done on every batch of gas....saying you never get top tier gas at a top tier station cannot be substantiated....it's a marketing gimmic for the most part, one that really never took off......
Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 AM
whiteboy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by *Ragin Cajun*
We have 93 around here. That's all I put in mine. I always use Chevron as my preferred brand.
There was a Ragin Cajun on Pass Time on Speed Channel last night. Was that you? He had a bad *** drag car.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 AM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,075 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by owebo
Actually, they are lab apparatus 'engines' that they use to test....and of course, as you know, the tests are not done on every batch of gas....saying you never get top tier gas at a top tier station cannot be substantiated....it's a marketing gimmic for the most part, one that really never took off......
The engines used are real car engines, not some sort of unrealistic lab engine. My memory says they settled on a Ford 4 cylinder engine, but that could be wrong. You’d have to look it up under the relevant ASTM test procedure. It’s true that the engine is run while connected to a dynamometer, not while installed in a car and driven on the street. But that is necessary so that you get the exact same conditions every time. It is a very real and genuine engine test, not some sort of silly lab apparatus like the Royal Purple oil test that has nothing whatever to do with reality. You are correct in saying the tests are not done on every batch of gas. However, you do get the additive package used for the test in every batch of gas. Your third comment as worded doesn’t make sense. I assume it was supposed to say that I can’t substantiate the fact that you always get top tier additives at a top tier station. In a very limited way, that’s true. One can never guarantee against an unscrupulous operator claiming one thing and selling another. But penalties for doing that are high, so you can be confident it’s not a frequent practice. And as for the marketing gimmick, whose gimmick would it be? Certainly not the oil companies. They didn’t start it, the car companies started it to reduce their warranty costs. The oil companies who comply with the specs decided that they wanted to be on the list of top tier companies so that customers who followed the car company’s recommendation would be able to consider their fuel. The oil companies don’t advertise top tier very much because they’d rather advertise their own additives like Techron or Nitrogen Enriched, that only their company offers. If they heavily advertised top tier, that would force them to admit that top tier additives like Techron and Nitrogen Enriched give pretty much equivalent performance. Bottom line, top tier carries a real and demonstrable benefit in cleanliness. Like anything else, you can choose not to believe it. You can also choose to believe the benefit is so small that it’s not worth paying extra for. Indeed, the benefit is not huge. But it’s big enough that the car companies thought it was worthwhile to pursue.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,509 Likes on 821 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Keith Tedford
Our 2005 owner's manual recommends 91 or higher and definitely not the ethanol blended gas. Up here any gas stations that I have checked use 10% ethanol in their low grade, 5% in the middle grade and no ethanol in the premium. I use either Shell or Ultra 94 in everything including our lawn mowers. Keep close track of your gas mileage and you will find that you really are not saving by buying the cheaper grades of gas.
Ultra 94 has ethanol in the GTA
Old 07-24-2012, 06:23 PM
*Ragin Cajun*
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteboy
There was a Ragin Cajun on Pass Time on Speed Channel last night. Was that you? He had a bad *** drag car.
Nope wasnt me.

Originally Posted by Vinnie T
As far as the OP's question, use premium fuel since that is what is desingated for the motor in the car and you might as well get the advantages from it in performance. *I tend to use Shell or Chevron.

Not to change the subject, but is this whole "top tier" thing a reality or a marketing gimmick for the oil companies? *Do they have to pay a fee to get on the list or to be recommended by a manufacturer? *
Case in point: *I'm going to take a wild guess that no one here would rate the fuel that Costco dispenses as "top tier", right? *Yet, a couple weeks ago, I'm leaving Costco and following the tanker truck that just dropped fuel at Costco. *It's next stop is about a mile away at a 76 station, a fuel that is listed as "top tier". *I would say that the tanker doesn't have two different blends on board, so it appears that the Costco station was receiving the same fuel as the "top tier" 76 station. *What gives????

The tankers do have multiple compartments. Its not possible to carry that much weight without supports in the container. If you look at the side of the tanker you will see multiple outlets. Each is used to tap a different tank in the container. So, its totally possible for one tanker to deliver many different types of fuel.

I actually live near a few refineries and have friends that work there. All gas is refined at the same place but the additives are incorporated based on the customers specs. Usually the additives are introduced while the tanker is being filled at a specific ratio based on the customer. So, cheaper gas does have less additives due to the specs and who is ordering it.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

In checking my mileage, I have consistently found that gasoline with ethanol delivers fewer miles per gallon. Buying 100% gasoline pays for itself in better mileage.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:13 PM
owebo
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by ButWhatDoIKnow
In checking my mileage, I have consistently found that gasoline with ethanol delivers fewer miles per gallon. Buying 100% gasoline pays for itself in better mileage.
Real gas is awesome! I average 5% better mpg....I don't think it pays for itself, but I enjoy giving the finger to the government.....
Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 PM
donzi1
Pro

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Ultra 94 has ethanol in the GTA
Leave it to Petro Canada to screw up 94..

Who has ethanol free in the GTA??..Ed
Old 07-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by donzi1
Who has ethanol free in the GTA??..Ed
Shell V-Power, that is all I use ever since I found out - these idiots have such a good product and don't even advertise the fact that it is ethanol free.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 PM
owebo
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Shell V-Power, that is all I use ever since I found out - these idiots have such a good product and don't even advertise the fact that it is ethanol free.
We have a tough time finding normal gas here in the states....
Old 07-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Originally Posted by owebo
We have a tough time finding normal gas here in the states....
In the US, if there is ethanol in the gas do they post it at the pumps like here? The reason I ask is because I found lots of Shells on a recent 5,000 mile trip through the mid-West and I don't remember seeing mention of ethanol at most pumps, however, some non-Shell pumps did mention at the pump.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM
owebo
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11, '16

In the US, if there is ethanol in the gas do they post it at the pumps like here? The reason I ask is because I found lots of Shells on a recent 5,000 mile trip through the mid-West and I don't remember seeing mention of ethanol at most pumps, however, some non-Shell pumps did mention at the pump.
They used to when they first started with the bs, not so much any more. Most stickers you see are original to the program and worn. It's a state by state thing and most states mandate it, no exceptions. Maryland has several loopholes in their law that allow limited sales of no ethanol, but it's only at small mom and pop type stations, all major brands have ethanol sadly....
Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Gitiup
Instructor

I use only premium fuel in both my Vette's. C6's get good gas milage so why bother on the cheap stuff.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Keith Tedford
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default No More Ultra 94

I guess I'm down to Shell premium if Ultra 94 has ethanol. Sad.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:16 PM
inner3
Pro

Also, I would stay away from Raceway, Pilot, Walmart gas, any of those cheap gas stations that aren't part of the major corp. I used the cheap stuff in a previous car and could tell that decline in performance.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:17 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by blaforce
Do the math. You don't save that much on regular where it makes any difference. You paid for the car so do it right and pay for the gas. Also, don't listen to the people that say it must be Chevron or Shell. I checked ARCO (BP) and their detergent additive is nearly as high as the top tier stations.
Arco has the best prices. Costco is usually the same price as Arco so that tells you Arco has the lowest prices.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:24 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Vinnie T
As far as the OP's question, use premium fuel since that is what is desingated for the motor in the car and you might as well get the advantages from it in performance. I tend to use Shell or Chevron.

Not to change the subject, but is this whole "top tier" thing a reality or a marketing gimmick for the oil companies? Do they have to pay a fee to get on the list or to be recommended by a manufacturer?
Case in point: I'm going to take a wild guess that no one here would rate the fuel that Costco dispenses as "top tier", right? Yet, a couple weeks ago, I'm leaving Costco and following the tanker truck that just dropped fuel at Costco. It's next stop is about a mile away at a 76 station, a fuel that is listed as "top tier". I would say that the tanker doesn't have two different blends on board, so it appears that the Costco station was receiving the same fuel as the "top tier" 76 station. What gives????
I talked to the Costco driver who delivers the gas and the fuel comes from Tesoro refinery in this area. The driver told me he uses Chevron in his cars. Costco doesn't always get the same brand of gas. On my Corvette I have been consistent using 91 octane Chevron. I Used Arco 91 octane in Corvette once.
In my other car I always use Arco. Chevron gas is the most expensive around here and Arco and Costco is the lowest cost.

Last edited by LS WON; 07-24-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To gas

Old 07-24-2012, 11:26 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redrckt97
congratulations on the car -- use GOOD gas ( at least 91 )
Any brand of gas is good gas as long as it is 91 Octane?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:37 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I always use 91 octane (highest we have in AZ that I know of) and the places I buy it are VERY heavy volume discount joints like QT or AM/PM or Fry's (10 cent per gallon discount with $100 groceries in a month). I have had my 2011 11 months and it has 14,500 miles on it. Easy to put miles on a vehicle in AZ.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 AM
owebo
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by inner3
Also, I would stay away from Raceway, Pilot, Walmart gas, any of those cheap gas stations that aren't part of the major corp. I used the cheap stuff in a previous car and could tell that decline in performance.
Is 'cheap' gas somehow made differently than expensive gas?

Quick Reply: gas