C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duster

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Jimini
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Duster

I have a California duster that I use often and like very much. I can go as much as three weeks at a time without washing the car using only the duster regularly. What's the longest anyone has gone without washing your car using only the duster.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:34 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

6.5 years. My 06 has been washed once, when I first bought it. I am on my third CA Duster since. Wheels have been washed a few times, but most of the time they are cleaned with a Swifter disposable duster. Of course the car is garaged at night.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Jimini
Racer

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
6.5 years. My 06 has been washed once, when I first bought it. I am on my third CA Duster since. Wheels have been washed a few times, but most of the time they are cleaned with a Swifter disposable duster. Of course the car is garaged at night.
Amazing.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:58 PM
ip-do-tan
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My brother has a 1972 911 Porsche that's NEVER been wet

Yes - it's driven

Old 09-09-2012, 02:00 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

OK, now lets tell the truth as to washing and the duster.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:08 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

My 2007 LMB convert will be 6 years old next month and it only has been washed 3 times. Helps that it has spent it's entire life in Tucson and never had to drive in the rain or a puddle even one time. I have been using the California car dusters on all my vehicles for many years. The underside of the car still looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.

In this photo it had been over two years since the last wash.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:33 PM
RO55
Drifting

I usally go about a month before washing. I use a California Duster after each drive. I land up washing more to clean wheels and I'll admitt it, it's my therapy!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:50 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how often do you guys wash your duster?

never?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Aggie76
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Heck fire, I end up washing mine about once a week and dusting with my California duster daily in-between the washings. Unfortunately I live off a gravel road that creates a dust cloud just by me driving at 5-10 mph down the 0.4 mile to the main road. And if someone is coming the opposite way, they create a dust storm that would rival those in a desert. I always hope the wind is belowing across the rode perpendicular and away from me.

The road generates tons of dust that even penetrates a closed garage if I am not driving it. We only escape it during rain and winter with ice and snow; so at least six months of the year it's decent - but the car will be covered in the garage during those months.

Going before our township board next week trying to convince them to at least asphalt the road, even if it means an assessment.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:08 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blitzebill
how often do you guys wash your duster?

never?
NEVER EVER WASH IT!!!
If you wash a duster you ruin it. They work better the longer and the more they are used.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
My 2007 LMB convert will be 6 years old next month and it only has been washed 3 times. Helps that it has spent it's entire life in Tucson and never had to drive in the rain or a puddle even one time. I have been using the California car dusters on all my vehicles for many years. The underside of the car still looks like it just rolled off the assembly line.

In this photo it had been over two years since the last wash.

Pretty car!!......
Old 09-09-2012, 04:28 PM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
NEVER EVER WASH IT!!!
If you wash a duster you ruin it. They work better the longer and the more they are used.
Thanks for the "loud" clarification.

The instructions that came with my duster mentioned washing it, but I figured as the instructions also said, "the dirtier it gets, the better it works. Just vigorously shake it before and afterwards."
Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

For those that claim they never wash there car, you must not drive it much, never in the rain, no birds in your area, it never sits out in the elements even for a short time, never sees and moisture on the road, never run over anything on the road that may get on the lower portions of the car or in the wheel wells. Mine is not a daily driver, yet it will get washed regularly and in between the full wash I will go over it with my Waterless Wash and Detail Spray.
I do use the duster each day and I agree never wash it.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:04 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BWF07
For those that claim they never wash there car, you must not drive it much,
My 2007 convert has been my daily driver since I sold my C5 and Mercedes E in May 2011. I drove it around 5k miles in the last year or so and average around 100 miles a week.

I pretty much only use the car duster and once in a while I use meguiars detail spray to get off any bugs, etc. and wax the car about every 6 months.

Like I said earlier it gets washed about every 2 years and that is really only to thoroughly clean the brake dust accumulation on the inner wheel drum surfaces. Tucson is one of the cities with the most sunny days in the country so never have gotten caught even by a sprinkle. The car is always garaged and never parked outside for any long period and never have used a car cover at any time.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimini
Amazing.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't care how clean your car looks I couldn't imagine not washing one's car for years. I don't consider myself a 'wash & wax' guy but I fee compelled to wash and clean my car regularly with use. When I drove on the streets (and on the dirt road I live on) washing my car was almost a daily thing. After a weekend at the track I wash my car before I offload it from the trailer into the garage. I dust my car when needed with a California Duster but it's no substitute for washing with water.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You guys that never have to wash your cars, obviously live in bug free climates.
I live about 40 miles north of the cities. It gets thick here!
I can't get 10 miles from my house without it being pasted with bug juice...

Get notified of new replies

To Duster

Old 09-09-2012, 05:50 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

Its been almost 2 years since I Washed my C3 and it gets used all the time. I have 30k miles on the car in 5 years..
I use Jimmy g's detail spray and thats it I havent waxed it in the same amount of time..

Now for my new to me C6 it will be a different story, it will be my DD for a while and I have a feeling ill be washing it from time to time.. but so far with a week in and 500+ miles it still looks great just using the duster and my spray...

And I Was wondering about the duster as well..

Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Torchsport
You guys that never have to wash your cars, obviously live in bug free climates.
I live about 40 miles north of the cities. It gets thick here!
I can't get 10 miles from my house without it being pasted with bug juice...
I grew up in the twin cities area and drove vettes for about 22 years up there starting at 17 years old so I'm very familiar with the bugs. That was one of the reasons along with getting away from the winters and summer humidity that I fled the area for year around top down Corvette weather in Arizona.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I have a question for those that do not wash there cars for a couple of years. If you drive it daily, and all you do is use the duster and occasionally spray it with a detail spray, how about polish and waxing? How often do you do that?

Quick Reply: Duster