C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4LT Dash Pad problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:17 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

not that I'm advocating anything but if "somehow" my windshield cracked and was replaced I'd be able to glue the dash back if it was separating.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Jay9722
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joec
not that I'm advocating anything but if "somehow" my windshield cracked and was replaced I'd be able to glue the dash back if it was separating.
Easier said than done. My insurance company will want to see the damage(not a problem), they will assign one of 4 or 5 glass companies they use( none of which will wait for me or a professional to work on the dash), and it affects my insurance( $500 deductible). Pulling the dash is cheaper. I've thought of convenient damage to the windshield.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:26 PM
zras01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joec
Plus if you have HUD insurance would pay for a regular windshield and you would have to pay the difference for the HUD compatible windshield.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:28 PM
Jay9722
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zras01
Plus if you have HUD insurance would pay for a regular windshield and you would have to pay the difference for the HUD compatible windshield.
I HATE to pull my dash but in this case it makes the most sense. And saves the most $$$
Old 07-22-2016, 02:26 PM
mach1daddy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About $650 to fix

You will have have dash taken off. You to have professional do this. It is a must. There are companies that only take off dashes and reinstall them. Talk to a collision repair place. They know who to contact. Mine cost $500. The dash can be reglued about $150. Then invest in a high quality ceramic front window tint. $150. It will reflect 51% of the heat. I also put a sun Shield in window. Mine is only in the sun about 10 hours a month. I have a 2008. It happen to me last summer.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:42 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay9722
Easier said than done. My insurance company will want to see the damage(not a problem), they will assign one of 4 or 5 glass companies they use( none of which will wait for me or a professional to work on the dash), and it affects my insurance( $500 deductible). Pulling the dash is cheaper. I've thought of convenient damage to the windshield.
Your insurance company cannot dictate where your repair is made, by law. Also, glass deductibles generally are not the same as your comprehensive or collision deductibles. Glass replacement is often free of deductibles, once per year. If you haven't looked at your policy, you should.

It is also not uncommon for a glass company to remove a windshield and then reinstall it a day or two later. This happens when car windshield frames or roofs are replaced.

I'm not advocating you commit insurance fraud. I just thought I'd share that information because it seems you have been misinformed or you made incorrect assumptions.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:43 PM
Tech
Safety Car

For what it's worth, I pulled my dash in my C5. It wasn't that difficult or time consuming. If you have any experience working in interiors, you should be able to do it yourself with the help of this forum and YouTube.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:19 PM
Jay9722
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mach1daddy
You will have have dash taken off. You to have professional do this. It is a must. There are companies that only take off dashes and reinstall them. Talk to a collision repair place. They know who to contact. Mine cost $500. The dash can be reglued about $150. Then invest in a high quality ceramic front window tint. $150. It will reflect 51% of the heat. I also put a sun Shield in window. Mine is only in the sun about 10 hours a month. I have a 2008. It happen to me last summer.
Your numbers are almost exactly what I'm being quoted. The Chevy dealership will pull the dash and reinstall after the leather work is done($460), and the upholsterer is quoting me $170 to reglue the material. I will look into the ceramic front tint.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:54 PM
beamg5
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MannyS
Texas 100 degree summers will make a 4LT dash curl up in a year. Been there, replaced that.

A dear friend, and 2009 4LT owner and resident of San Marcos, would agree with you entirely. His problem, however, "reared its ugly head" prior to his 3/36 expiring -so- it ended up simply being an inconvenience.

Here's wishing good luck to all others who have encountered this, not so uncommon, problem !!

Cheers !!

Gary
Old 07-23-2016, 01:24 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Tech
Your insurance company cannot dictate where your repair is made, by law. Also, glass deductibles generally are not the same as your comprehensive or collision deductibles. Glass replacement is often free of deductibles, once per year. If you haven't looked at your policy, you should.

It is also not uncommon for a glass company to remove a windshield and then reinstall it a day or two later. This happens when car windshield frames or roofs are replaced.

I'm not advocating you commit insurance fraud. I just thought I'd share that information because it seems you have been misinformed or you made incorrect assumptions.
Perhaps on other cars, but isn't the C6 windshield glued in place?
Our C5 definitely was.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:39 AM
MildBill
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reasonable Fix

Mine was totally peeld up from around the HUD bezel and like a small mountain for about 1/3 of the dash pad. I got absurd quotes on fixes for this:

New Dash ~$3K
Pull windshield and repair- $600 (and if windshield breaks + 1300)

Even took it to an upholstery guy to see if he could do it installed ($200). He tried and said he could not. So....

I looked at it and thought, "If I pull the speaker and HUD bezel, I can do it"!

The front of the pad was loose, so I just peeled it back like a blanket at bedtime. I applied permatex cement and "quickly" peeled it back forward. The cement has to cure 10 minutes before adhesion. so I had a little time to get everything flat. It did a fairly reasonable job. Got some on the windshield, but it comes of with paint thinner and a razor. A couple of minor kinks, but nothing like it was before. Total cost: $4.02 incl. tax!

I was amazed that there appeared to be no adhesive at all under the pad. To me, it is not worth it to put hundreds (or even thousands) to fix cosmetic issue for a car worth less than $30K.

Last edited by MildBill; 07-24-2016 at 06:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-24-2016, 06:59 AM
MildBill
Advanced

Your insurance company cannot dictate where your repair is made, by law.
Could you reference that please? If they had a guy that would do it for $200 and I found a guy that would do it for $400, the insurance guys have to pay? I would think they absolutely could tell you where to go. And the laws would be different in every state.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:26 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Perhaps on other cars, but isn't the C6 windshield glued in place?
Our C5 definitely was.
Most are. They won't warranty that they won't break it, but in his case, it would have already been broken.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:49 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MildBill
Could you reference that please? If they had a guy that would do it for $200 and I found a guy that would do it for $400, the insurance guys have to pay? I would think they absolutely could tell you where to go. And the laws would be different in every state.
The insurance company is not obligated to pay more for a job than what's normal in your area. However, assuming that "your guy" has reasonable labor rates, he would request a supplement from the insurance company for the difference. You just drop your car off and "your guy" will work out the supplement, if necessary. Body shops don't get blank checks from insurance companies for repairs, but they can request additional money and provide supporting documentation of the labor and materials required to repair it properly. This is _very_ common.

Insurance companies try to steer you to their body shops by offering guarantees/warranties on the repair or perhaps requiring you to have your damage inspected at one. They cannot, however, require you to use them.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:47 PM
MildBill
Advanced

OK Tech, I gotcha now. So IF "my guy" costs more, the insurance would only pay whatever they pay. I ask because I was considering getting the windshield pulled (it had a repair 4 years ago), but Safelite said they wouldn't remove the glass one day and install it on another day. I know a good local guy that would have no problem doing it.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:52 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,194 Likes on 1,053 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Jay9722
1250 for new glass and install. The glass for the GPS equipped cars is expensive. And they can't reuse my glass because they said it always breaks when they try to take it out.
If anything it'd be the HUD that requires "special" glass. Many have added HUD to regular 'ol glass'd vehicles and the regular glass works just fine.

Regardless, I'd just pull the dash and be done with it
Old 07-24-2016, 06:53 PM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

The insurance company is not obligated to pay more for a job than what's normal in your area. However, assuming that "your guy" has reasonable labor rates, he would request a supplement from the insurance company for the difference. You just drop your car off and "your guy" will work out the supplement, if necessary. Body shops don't get blank checks from insurance companies for repairs, but they can request additional money and provide supporting documentation of the labor and materials required to repair it properly. This is _very_ common.

Insurance companies try to steer you to their body shops by offering guarantees/warranties on the repair or perhaps requiring you to have your damage inspected at one. They cannot, however, require you to use them.

Get notified of new replies

To 4LT Dash Pad problem!!!

Old 08-10-2016, 11:34 AM
Jay9722
Intermediate

Default Work complete

I just got the car after 7 days in dealership limbo. The dash cost $170 to repair and it looks great. The upholsterer used glue but added staples where he could. Should hold. The cost to pull and reinstall the dash was $474 out the door. While there I had them fix a "low beam" recall issue and replace the catalytic converters before the warranty is up 02/17. So the car is back to its old self for a grand total of $644. Not bad considering what it could've cost. Now I'm going to get the front glass tinted and shop for a tasteful, effective dash pad. Thanks for all the helpful hints.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:44 PM
Gadfly
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

I am so freaking pissed off.

2012 Grand Sport, 28k miles, always garaged, 4LT Centennial edition. Got it in to drive today and thier is a huge *** bubble in front of the defroster vent.

Who do I contact at GM, pretty sure a dealership will be worthless.

Old 08-28-2016, 11:04 PM
zras01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadfly
I am so freaking pissed off.

2012 Grand Sport, 28k miles, always garaged, 4LT Centennial edition. Got it in to drive today and thier is a huge *** bubble in front of the defroster vent.

Who do I contact at GM, pretty sure a dealership will be worthless.
I hate to tell you this but my experience to date is no one is going to help. You are on your own 😖😭😢

Quick Reply: 4LT Dash Pad problem!!!