C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C6 Android Tablet Stereo In-Dash Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Fasthotrod
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeRiv
So are you guys hacking up the radio harness to wire your speakers to that mini amp? How can I set this up if I would rather use the factory bose amp?
No need to 'hack up' the radio harness... you can buy the necessary plugs/pins at Mouser to make your own wiring adapters to plug into the factory harnesses.

You would need to come up with a way to control the volume and fader control... as the Android tablet only has a 2-channel output. This could be done with a simple RCA style volume control or two, or even a pre-amp or some kind... otherwise, it's just a simple low-level input to the Bose amplifier.

Something else to consider would be replacing the Bose amp with a JBL MS-8. Use the Aux input on the MS-8 from the Android tablet, then use the volume control on the MS-8 and built-in amplifier(s) to drive the front 3.5" drivers and rear speakers, while also providing the low-level signal to the Bose door subs.

Just something to think about...
Old 09-17-2012, 05:52 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So are you guys hacking up the radio harness to wire your speakers to that mini amp? How can I set this up if I would rather use the factory bose amp?
blazinblue can correct me, but based on how he explained his setup, he's basically using the bybyte amp as a Line-Out-Converter. The bybyte isn't powering the speakers, rather it is taking the "low level" output from the tablet, and using the bybyte to amplify and convert it to a "speaker level" output that then interfaces with the stock bose amp.

I already installed a double-din pioneer deck and complete aftermarket stereo system, so I'm not using the ByByte amp. My install thread is HERE. If you want to use the factory amp, you can just buy a wiring harness adapter specific to the C6 that has "low level" inputs. Then, use a 3.5mm->RCA adapter wire to connect to the wiring harness.

If you don't want to buy the harness, you can use a line-out-converter and splice directly into the speaker wires. I don't recommend this though. The wiring harness makes it very easy to return to stock if you want to.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:00 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by Fasthotrod
No need to 'hack up' the radio harness... you can buy the necessary plugs/pins at Mouser to make your own wiring adapters to plug into the factory harnesses.

You would need to come up with a way to control the volume and fader control... as the Android tablet only has a 2-channel output. This could be done with a simple RCA style volume control or two, or even a pre-amp or some kind... otherwise, it's just a simple low-level input to the Bose amplifier.

Something else to consider would be replacing the Bose amp with a JBL MS-8. Use the Aux input on the MS-8 from the Android tablet, then use the volume control on the MS-8 and built-in amplifier(s) to drive the front 3.5" drivers and rear speakers, while also providing the low-level signal to the Bose door subs.

Just something to think about...
That MS-8 is an awesome processor. I couldn't convince myself to spend that kind of cash, but good suggestion. For volume control, I just use "on-screen" volume control apps, and since my entire system is only 2-channel, I don't have to worry about fading. For those that care about fading and want to stay cheap, you could also split the L/R to get 4 channels and install a cheap RCA in-line volume controller (though I don't like these).
Old 09-17-2012, 09:11 PM
MikeRiv
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SDB_FTW
blazinblue can correct me, but based on how he explained his setup, he's basically using the bybyte amp as a Line-Out-Converter. The bybyte isn't powering the speakers, rather it is taking the "low level" output from the tablet, and using the bybyte to amplify and convert it to a "speaker level" output that then interfaces with the stock bose amp.

I already installed a double-din pioneer deck and complete aftermarket stereo system, so I'm not using the ByByte amp. My install thread is HERE. If you want to use the factory amp, you can just buy a wiring harness adapter specific to the C6 that has "low level" inputs. Then, use a 3.5mm->RCA adapter wire to connect to the wiring harness.

If you don't want to buy the harness, you can use a line-out-converter and splice directly into the speaker wires. I don't recommend this though. The wiring harness makes it very easy to return to stock if you want to.
All that makes sense and i can follow it. My only problem... Idk where to buy said "wiring harness adapter specific to the C6 that has "low level" inputs".
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

All that makes sense and i can follow it. My only problem... Idk where to buy said "wiring harness adapter specific to the C6 that has "low level" inputs".
Oh ok I get you. You can always use a LOC in combination with the wiring harness.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:39 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work guys. Lookin good so far. Keep us posted on all the specifics.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:49 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by designerRob
Nice work guys. Lookin good so far. Keep us posted on all the specifics.
Thanks! Also, please ask questions. I'm always forgetting subtle details that might prove useful to others.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 PM
mrgillies
Pro

Great work guys
Old 09-17-2012, 11:49 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waste???
Old 09-17-2012, 11:53 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by ScottJ03
Waste???
To each their own. I'm an engineer, so stuff like this is fun to me, but no one is forcing you to do it.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 AM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottJ03
Waste???
Your post?

Yup.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:15 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by hulksdaddy
Your post?

Yup.
There's always a hater or two... I guess I should've thanked him for the thread bump.

Last edited by SDB_FTW; 09-18-2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Unfortunately all the installation parts didn't come in time to do the install this last weekend, but I did manage to get some other things done, so I thought I'd jump over here and provide a quick update.

I got cyanogenmod10 (CM10 for short) installed on the tablet, so now I have an awesome version of Android Jelly Bean as my OS. I really wanted to get Jelly Bean installed because the new Google Voice Search that comes with it is just awesome. I can now use voice commands to play music and get directions, two things I REALLY wanted the tablet to do in the car.

Staying on the voice command subject, some of you might be asking "Is the tablet going to recognize my voice when driving down the road?" That's a good question, and one that I have successfully addressed (hopefully) as of today. I ordered a 3-signal right-angle 3.5mm-to-RCA cord hoping that the Galaxy Tab2 supports an external microphone, and it does! I ordered a noise-canceling camcorder lapel mic and it works like a charm. I'll do some experimenting to find out where the most optimal mounting position will be, but it should work out well.

I hope to be able to install the system this coming weekend, so stay tuned!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:40 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

UPDATE: I tested out the external mic in the car last night a bit. I started my car, and performed several voice commands while revving at the exhaust's loudest drone point (about 2200rpm). All the voice commands were successful, which is pretty impressive, being that I have the BB Bullet exhaust. The true test will be if the mic recognizes voice commands while droning at interstate speeds with road noise.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:45 AM
RO55
Drifting

Very cool!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 AM
dazz44
Racer

When can you do my car!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:45 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by dazz44
When can you do my car!!!!!!
If you find yourself in El Paso, I'd be happy to help.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Android Tablet Stereo In-Dash Install

Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM
C6FirstVette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Impressive resolve! Add a bit of levity a dealer brought a just released Telsa S to the Great Falls Cruize In this last Saturday>>>

Why show this....well IPad has nothing over this setup... the optional NAV/Stereo etc. and yes it is built into the dash. Little small you think

Old 09-25-2012, 12:59 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Whoa, holy insanely huge screen, batman!!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 PM
ranger 66
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Once installed will the tablet be removeable? Is the tablet 3G or 4G etc so that is has access to data for navigation etc? It looks cool!

Quick Reply: C6 Android Tablet Stereo In-Dash Install