C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering feel, anyway to improve it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:55 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Steering feel, anyway to improve it?

I have a 2007 C6 base with Z51. Can someone explain why I'm driving a truck and not a sports car? What can I do to fix this?

Is the car too heavy? Are the stock wheels (tires 245/40r17) too heavy? Is it my tires? (Hankook V12). My allignment shouldn't be the problem, it's done to a specified degree, not vaguely on specs.

I didn't try an 08+ yet, but I've read they have improved steering feel? If so, what parts would I need and are they interchangeable with the 07?

I drove a Miata for the past 6 years, lighter car and lighter tires, superb steering feel. Just tried a Scion FRS at autocross this weekend, it was even a better feel than the Miata! Is the difference the weight alone? I doubt it. Is it made that way because it can reach very high speeds and it's better for that?

Help please!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:05 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I think "feel" is a word that can be defined different based upon many things. Some people would describe feel as turn in response, some people would describe feel as steering heaviness, etc.

You make a lot of reference to lighter cars, so it makes me think your description of "feel" is really due to the lack of mass associated with lighter cars. My wife, very much the enthusiast driver as well, likes the smaller cars. I've built her everything from nitrous fed Civic's to track day Miata's to her current S2000. Those cars, compared to my Z06, have a much more direct feel, in that they redirect very little mass, have much less contact patch, and are overall just very small cars. You feel more directly in contact with the street on a smaller platform.

I think the "fix" for you, is to get out and run the Corvette at events and adapt to the platform. You need to develop a sense for driving a larger package at the limit. Its a heavier, wider feeling car, but it is still quite capable in that it makes big torque (i.e. throttle steer) and has a lot of lateral grip along with a list of other fine attributes.

Miata's to Corvettes are apples and oranges. Go an even step further and drive a shifter kart on the track. That's super feel.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:12 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I think "feel" is a word that can be defined different based upon many things. Some people would describe feel as turn in response, some people would describe feel as steering heaviness, etc.

You make a lot of reference to lighter cars, so it makes me think your description of "feel" is really due to the lack of mass associated with lighter cars. My wife, very much the enthusiast driver as well, likes the smaller cars. I've built her everything from nitrous fed Civic's to track day Miata's to her current S2000. Those cars, compared to my Z06, have a much more direct feel, in that they redirect very little mass, have much less contact patch, and are overall just very small cars. You feel more directly in contact with the street on a smaller platform.

I think the "fix" for you, is to get out and run the Corvette at events and adapt to the platform. You need to develop a sense for driving a larger package at the limit. Its a heavier, wider feeling car, but it is still quite capable in that it makes big torque (i.e. throttle steer) and has a lot of lateral grip along with a list of other fine attributes.

Miata's to Corvettes are apples and oranges. Go an even step further and drive a shifter kart on the track. That's super feel.
I certainly agree. I don't think you can get the feeling you get from lighter cars you're comparing the Corvette to. If GM boosted the steering (increasing the hydraulic assist), it would not feel heavy like that, but then you'd lose all the feedback. I think they tried to compromise, and left the assist limited so you can get more feedback at the track. Of course, it can never feel as good as Lotus Elise's steering in terms of feedback, but I don't think it is expected to be.

The later year models have a revised steering, which has better-tuned steps of assist that vary depending on speed, etc., which makes it a bit lighter at parking speeds, and heavier at highway speeds.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I think to elaborate as well, many people don't understand that driving fast changes based upon the platform. Fast driving line certainly changes as well.

With the smaller platform Miata's and S2k's, you're taking a much tighter line versus taking more of a power line with a Corvette. It really comes down to the fact you need to exploit the strengths of the platform to make it perform.

With Corvettes...they have a heavy feel, but if you keep pushing them and pushing them...you'll be surprised how far they'd go. I LOVE my wifes S2000...and I mean love. It's small, very quick...almost twitchy, but is so predictable. Low torque, I can dive it and just jump full throttle and drive it out. My Z06 is heavier, but is just a pure aggressor...lots of brakes, huge grip, but requires care at full throttle to balance that circle of traction upon exit.

Point is, don't be too quick to judge it off the cuff until you get to know it. Once you do...get back in a Miata. You'll immediately respond to that direct feel in a positive way, but you'll realize all the shortcomings as well. I LOVE our S2000, but my Z06 will eat it for breakfast...everywhere...except for maybe a tight autocross track.

So...if autocross is your basis and background...Corvette will feel big and bulky. Corvettes don't belong on cone courses though, they need the big boy track....

Last edited by RC000E; 09-25-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:34 PM
LS14ME2
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the same basic car as the OP.... I like the steering feel (heavy) at speed, seems to give good feedback, at least to me...It is certainly boosted and easier at parking lot speeds but firms up as you get going... I personally would not want the overboosted feeling some cars can give.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2009 has variable assist, variable ratio power steering, in addition to the tighter steering gear introduced in 2008. A 6/09 Car and Driver report on Hancook V12 said they felt somewhat soft and imprecise, and they came in fourth in autocrossing. Also check your tire pressure, with the advent of cooler Fall weather you might be a couple pounds under optimum when cold.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:41 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

The very best steering "feel" I've experienced has been in the older BMW M3s and Porsche 911s. You can literally feel what each wheel is doing on the pavement, through the steering wheel. I don't know how they do that, but it's fantastic. NO Corvette I've driven has felt remotely close to that, nor have any other domestic brands/makes I've driven. It seems like it's a different philosophy in the way the Germans set up their steering and suspension geometry compared to everyone else.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 PM
slamminc6
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Buy a BMW to get some real steering feel. M5 is a good choice
Old 09-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We had a 2006 Z51 (traded at 44,000 miles), which would be identical to the OP. Later, we traded it for a 2009 Z51 (now 51,000 miles).

To me, the 2009 steering is much nicer- lighter but more precise. From the first day we owned the 2006, I thought the steering was just a bit heavy, and the car was difficult to keep in my lane for long periods on the Interstate. Different alignment settings didn't improve it very much.

The replacement steering racks now being made for the 2005-2007 cars have the tighter tolerances of the 2008+ cars, so a new rack ($$$) would help somewhat. The other parts were redesigned in such a way that you can't swap them in, the GM engineers said that wouldn't work and could even be dangerous.

Alignment can help; toe-out will make the car twitchy but "more responsive", I wouldn't bother. 0 toe might be a good compromise, we have just a little toe-IN front and rear which makes the 2009 more stable on the highway but probably would make the 2007 feel more sluggish.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to clear things up, I'm not looking for an easier to turn wheel... I want to know where I'm turning and what the wheels are doing. I have read reviews on the Hankook V12 as well and it's possible I would get a better feel with better tires, so when those are used up, I'll get Nitto NT01 or NT05, or some kind of R tires.

I do lots of Autocross, but also drive the Vette everywhere. I don't want to guess where the turn is, I want to know it, control it and go precisely where I want. I had slight toe out in my allignment, but because I do lots of highway, I brought it back to as neutral as possible. That's one compromise I have to make. When at the track or Autocross, I have accepted that compromise.

The mass of the whole system (Wheels, brakes and all) does have something to do with it, but I know there's more to it than that. I'll just have to find a GS at the dealership and test that out. I want to try out a Porsche as well, not to buy but to compare.

List of options so far:
1: Tires, get better. Rims, get lighter?
2: try newer model.
3: look into price of new steering assembly...
Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

how long have you had your '07? it looks like, a long time, but I don't want to guess at it. when you talk Miata and FRS, you are talking a 2500 lb. and 2800 lb. car for each. the C6 is at least 300-400 lbs. more. that is a lot of added weight.

and don't discount your tires and how they react to your a) alignment, b) tire pressure, and c) mileage on tires. just because the brand and model are great on one car, doesn't translate necessarily to any other car---even the same car with a few more doo-dads on it.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:39 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerDown
The very best steering "feel" I've experienced has been in the older BMW M3s and Porsche 911s. You can literally feel what each wheel is doing on the pavement, through the steering wheel. I don't know how they do that, but it's fantastic. NO Corvette I've driven has felt remotely close to that, nor have any other domestic brands/makes I've driven. It seems like it's a different philosophy in the way the Germans set up their steering and suspension geometry compared to everyone else.
100%

My 330Ci is > 400 lbs heavier than my GS and the Bimmer steering feel (weighting) is miles better. I get used to the GS when I drive it frequently but realize in seconds of getting in the Bimmer how inadequate it is.

If there is a way to improve it, I'm in.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
100%

My 330Ci is > 400 lbs heavier than my GS and the Bimmer steering feel (weighting) is miles better. I get used to the GS when I drive it frequently but realize in seconds of getting in the Bimmer how inadequate it is.

If there is a way to improve it, I'm in.
What is the width of 330Ci's front tires? Grand Sport's front tires (275) are wider than even some of the other rear-drive car's rear tires! My brother's Z51's steering is considerably lighter and its front tires' width is 245 mm.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:00 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

My 330Ci has 235's all around on 18s. Stock they're 205's but that didn't last long.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 09-25-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: added wheel size
Old 09-25-2012, 05:21 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
I have a 2007 C6 base with Z51. Can someone explain why I'm driving a truck and not a sports car? What can I do to fix this?

Is the car too heavy? Are the stock wheels (tires 245/40r17) too heavy? Is it my tires? (Hankook V12). My allignment shouldn't be the problem, it's done to a specified degree, not vaguely on specs.

I didn't try an 08+ yet, but I've read they have improved steering feel? If so, what parts would I need and are they interchangeable with the 07?

I drove a Miata for the past 6 years, lighter car and lighter tires, superb steering feel. Just tried a Scion FRS at autocross this weekend, it was even a better feel than the Miata! Is the difference the weight alone? I doubt it. Is it made that way because it can reach very high speeds and it's better for that? Hard to beat a BMW for steering feel bit easy for maintenance coats. Miata is better at steering. That is a big reason they are a hit with the autocross fans. I can't fit in one comfortably though. My friend loves his Pfadt equipped 07 Z51. Parts are not cheap though.

Help please!
If you have 17in tires then that is a problem. I'm guessing you meant 18 though. Hankooks are cheap but not good in some areas though.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:24 PM
HammerDown
Drifting

BMW engineers a lot of caster into their steering/suspension geometry, mounts the rack directly to the subframe, and uses recirculating ball and progressive power steering pump (or at least they used to). The caster probably has the most effect.

It's not the different size tires.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster

I drove a Miata for the past 6 years, lighter car and lighter tires, superb steering feel. Just tried a Scion FRS at autocross this weekend, it was even a better feel than the Miata! Is the difference the weight alone? I doubt it. Is it made that way because it can reach very high speeds and it's better for that?

Help please!
If you're coming from a Miata there' going to be a huge difference. The C6 handles well enough and mostly you need to get used to it. Are you really running 17" tires on the front? If so that's different. There are many things you can do to improve the car's handling....different size wheels, different tires, anti-sway bars, bump-steer kits, change suspension, tweak the setup, etc. One thing I felt gave the C6 a 'lighter' feel was the control arm bushing kit.....it's a PITA to install but I noticed a difference. Mostly, I think it's just something you have to adjust to. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering feel, anyway to improve it?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:07 AM
Travelor
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Alignment

Change the alignment. Use the Pfadt Engineering specs.

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-c...-9.12.2011.pdf

I think this will solve your "problem".
Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Steering feel on my GS is perfect for me which is firm and sensitive the way a performance car should be. Over assisted steering is no good on the twisties IMO
Old 09-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a 03 for ten years. Took it to VIR, for the HPDE. I have only had my 2013 for 3 months and 3K miles.

In both of my vettes I feel/felt totally in control and comfortable with the steering feel. Both are base coupes, totally stock, with MN6. So they drive as the engineers, designers set them up to drive.

Quick Reply: Steering feel, anyway to improve it?