C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 C7 Corvette LT1 Engine - Full Press Release!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 PM
sprtplt
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 61 Posts

Active fuel management with the Camaro L99 has not been well received and there is no OEM function to disable it. The "solution" has been to get a tune. Not good. Now if they just put the poorly done Camaro hill-holder function on the C7 we'll have a good, solid, deal breaker.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:23 PM
NormWild
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank God! I get to keep my C6. Cylinder deactivation, similar displacement, and nominal HP Improvement.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TLS first i'm sorry I can't "quote" from work computer, too many filters and I know it makes it hard to follow.
A) I'm not angry
B)505/7.0=72.14 hp per
450/6.2=72.58hp per Really no need to compare this now is there?
C) you mentioned 5.0 N/A, I guess you meant the Mustang. Semantics for I was talking about the Super Snake and it's 560 ponies
D) you're being silly with the Bugatti comment!
E) who is to say people will buy the C7 base, maybe the car will be a big disappointment which frankly I hope it's not! I am surprised that the car does not have more hp though!

Simply put IMO they for the most part are catering to a limited audience, I can't help but think the sports car community is going to laugh at the C7 only having 450hp, base model or not! They missed the boat not hitting 500.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:35 PM
kck77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 08VRZ06
My Dodge RAM 1500 had the AFM (active fuel management, shut down 4 cylinders) and it had a button on the dash that you could push to turn it off. Hopefully if they put it on the new Vette they will include the same type of option.

Mark

Thats a pick up truck; I get that...... but this a corvette, a sports car. Why incorporate a system that completely does not belong on a car such as the corvette..... its just another thing that can go faulty over the years and cause unnecessary head aches. Its a high performance, high horsepower and high torque V8; it should never go into a 4 cyl mode as far as I am concerned.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:37 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Underwhelming, but let's see what kind of weight savings they came up with. 20 hp more with 100-150 lbs less......
Old 10-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by kck77
Thats a pick up truck; I get that...... but this a corvette, a sports car. Why incorporate a system that completely does not belong on a car such as the corvette..... its just another thing that can go faulty over the years and cause unnecessary head aches. Its a high performance, high horsepower and high torque V8; it should never go into a 4 cyl mode as far as I am concerned.
Because there are bigger things than performance that GM's powertrain engineers have to consider. GM is under a lot of pressure to meet fuel economy targets in the next few years and having even a relatively low volume sportscar not meeting requirements would not be wise for the company.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
TLS according to the press release it is a 6.2! So then I guess it doesn't make more power than an LS7! Also it is very fair to compare all cars, the 4.0 GT3RS is a six cylinder and it will spank the new Vette, is that unfair? As I said in my opinion they are doing the wrong thing, even if they eventually come out with a hp beast it should have been introduced at the same time! Seems to me they weren't/aren't prepared! I'm glad I bought a C6 427 when I did...PERIOD.

Go price a Porsche 4.0 on the open market. That engine is basically a race motor. Probably upwards of $50K an engine which is almost the price of an entire base Corvette.

Keep being ignorant.

The numbers aren't finalized. The only thing the LS3 will have over the new LT1 is weight by the time everything is over and done with.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:42 PM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

I hope they are underpromising so they can over deliver with the reveal because 14 more hp over an LS3 with NPP is pretty underwhelming. They had a bigger power bump within the C6 run going from the LS2 to the LS3.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 PM
sliderbkt
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm perfectly happy with the base HP. Most of us enjoy and can handle much more than that. But, there are a lot of Corvette owners that can't. At least there isn't a v6 option.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 PM
kck77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
Because there are bigger things than performance that GM's powertrain engineers have to consider. GM is under a lot of pressure to meet fuel economy targets in the next few years and having even a relatively low volume sportscar not meeting requirements would not be wise for the company.
Thats great. Fuel savings on pick ups, SUVS, 4 door passenger cars are all great targets for GM. The Corvette is NOT in that category. I can not see many corvette buyers saying "oh I am not buying the corvette, its gas milage is not great and it does not have active fuel management" ..... lol most of us that can afford a $60,000 - $100,000 sports car are not worried about the cost of fuel nor care for active fuel management. Its a waste of time and money placing AFM on a high performance, high horse power and high torque sports car.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Hey Kappa seeing how you have it all figured out please tell me, how is SRT doing it with the Viper, they sure as hell will build way less than GM will build Vettes! I owned a 3.8 GT3RS, you don't have to tell me what they're all about! I was simply comparing hp ratings!!! Keep the ignorant comment to yourself pal...
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Correct kck77!! We can also afford tires every 10k too!!!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:50 PM
EyeMaster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So does the honda Pilot, what's your point Adam? We are talking about probably the most iconic car America has ever built and they decrease the power while Ford, Dodge and even Chevy (ZL1) keep increasing! Makes no sense to me!
So you're comparing top of the line for cars to a base car? It makes no sense.

The Base C7 will have 450. I imagine the C7Z will have at least 100hp more. The base Mustang has 305hp, the base Camaro has around that too. The ZL1 is the creme of the crop, the Mustang GT 500 is also the top of the line, not to mention Saleen Mustang and Calaway Corvettes.

450hp is quite high. Wait to see what the top of the line Corvette will have for HP if you want to complain.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Hey Kappa seeing how you have it all figured out please tell me, how is SRT doing it with the Viper, they sure as hell will build way less than GM will build Vettes! I owned a 3.8 GT3RS, you don't have to tell me what they're all about! I was simply comparing hp ratings!!! Keep the ignorant comment.
Easy. The Viper is a $100K+ car. The base Corvette will probably start around $55K. Now with that extra $45K, you can do many things as the current Z06 and ZR1 have demonstrated.

The base Corvette and Viper have never been and will never be competitors.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:53 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
So you're comparing top of the line for cars to a base car? It makes no sense.

The Base C7 will have 450. I imagine the C7Z will have at least 100hp more. The base Mustang has 305hp, the base Camaro has around that too. The ZL1 is the creme of the crop, the Mustang GT 500 is also the top of the line, not to mention Saleen Mustang and Calaway Corvettes.

450hp is quite high. Wait to see what the top of the line Corvette will have for HP if you want to complain.
450hp in a smaller, lighter car...will definitely make it a performer. Sometimes...it's not all about hp.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:55 PM
harleyreb1
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Also note the higher compression ratio, LS3 is what 10.7 this new LT1 is 11.5 that alone should be worth more than 14 extra hp? Also my ls3 vette already gets good gas mileage. Kinda disappointed in this motor, hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:55 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kck77
Thats great. Fuel savings on pick ups, SUVS, 4 door passenger cars are all great targets for GM. The Corvette is NOT in that category. I can not see many corvette buyers saying "oh I am not buying the corvette, its gas milage is not great and it does not have active fuel management" ..... lol most of us that can afford a $60,000 - $100,000 sports car are not worried about the cost of fuel nor care for active fuel management. Its a waste of time and money placing AFM on a high performance, high horse power and high torque sports car.
In this case, it's not really about you. The average Corvette customer still gets the high performance, just with AFM added. GM basically killed two birds with one stone. Sure, you don't care about fuel economy, I don't either. But the government does.

Porsche doesn't use AFM on the new 911 991 but it does have a feature where it basically decouples the drivetrain for minor fuel economy gains. 911 owners don't care about fuel economy but guess what? The company has to.

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 C7 Corvette LT1 Engine - Full Press Release!

Old 10-24-2012, 03:56 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
....450hp is quite high. Wait to see what the top of the line Corvette will have for HP if you want to complain.
450 is okay, but not really anything special anymore is the point. But to your point I quoted, that won't do anyone any good when they don't bring out the higher hp models for another year or two. Ford didn't come out with the base Mustang one year and hold out the GT for another year, ditto the Camaro & SS, etc.

There are plenty of valid points going around. But I can tell you that if I were interested in a new C7 I would be very dissapointed. And keep in mind that I did buy a first year C6. In fact, I bought two first year C6s. They had 50 more hp than my outgoing C5. And from a percentage standpoint, it's even a great hp gain from the C5 to the C6 (as was the C4 to C5).

What I really don't get is how they only managed 14 hp with the same displacement and Direct Injection. They have set a new record for the least hp improvement on a direct injected engine.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Viper really doesn't have a base car, the most recent generation were all 600hp whether it was a vert, a coupe or an ACR which I also owned. We are in part talking about GM leaving the heavy hitters out of the mix, wrong move IMO! I know that there are a lot of Vette loyalists but how many threads on here have stated from ZO6 and ZR1 owners they look forward to their equal from GM? Well why make them wait, I think this is poor marketing!!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Viper really doesn't have a base car, the most recent generation were all 600hp whether it was a vert, a coupe or an ACR which I also owned. We are in part talking about GM leaving the heavy hitters out of the mix, wrong move IMO! I know that there are a lot of Vette loyalists but how many threads on here have stated from ZO6 and ZR1 owners they look forward to their equal from GM? Well why make them wait, I think this is poor marketing!!
Did you get a Z06 or ZR1 out of the gate with the C6? Did the Z06 come out with the base model in the C5? Was the ZR-1 introduced with the first C4's?

No, no, and no.

Originally Posted by jschindler

What I really don't get is how they only managed 14 hp with the same displacement and Direct Injection. They have set a new record for the least hp improvement on a direct injected engine.
The numbers aren't final.

Quick Reply: 2014 C7 Corvette LT1 Engine - Full Press Release!