C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People **Against** winter storage....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:39 PM
J Vette
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

As one who recently bought an 07 Corvette Convertible with 11k miles for half its original sticker price, I stand firmly against this movement. How else will we find good used Vettes with incredible low mileage for a fraction of their original cost unless their owners put them away for the winter?

I'm glad for the winter storers. I especially hope that all the 60th anniversary, white 427 convertible owners store theirs so I can get a low mileage one in of those in 4-5 yrs. Red ones too. Store 'em boys. Cover 'em good too.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:47 PM
Attle
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Why is it an issue to anyone if someone wants to store their car for the winter - or anytime for that matter.

With the first uncivil post, this thread goes
I agree, who cares what people want to do with their cars. Their business. Still, it is quite amusing to follow the thread over a cup of coffee on a cold, rainy day in Seattle. No Corvetting for me today, ULGH!

I do plan to go into the garage a few times and look at it today. I hope you are all laughing!
Old 10-27-2012, 01:04 PM
akriggm
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a C6 that I drive all year - my 2008 coupe. My 2009 C6 4LT vert is my "summer toy" and it will going into storage in a week or so. My 2008 coupe (w/snow tires and shortened front air dam) actually gets around during the Winter better than my old DD Mazda Miata did; and it has heated seats!!
Enjoy,
akriggm
Old 10-27-2012, 02:38 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

As I stated in a prior Winter storage thread as long as their is no salt/sand on the road ways or excess icing I drive mine. Wide bodied C6's are very suceptable to "sandblasted" side panels Plus my Audi A6 is great in the snow.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Attle
I agree, who cares what people want to do with their cars. Their business. Still, it is quite amusing to follow the thread over a cup of coffee on a cold, rainy day in Seattle. No Corvetting for me today, ULGH!

I do plan to go into the garage a few times and look at it today. I hope you are all laughing!
I agree. It baffles me how many people there are out thers that care so much about how others use their own property. Im in upstate NY and certainly would be a complete idiot to take my prize possession out in the elements or even the agents we use to deal with the elements.
I still however respect your right to do so if you choose use your vette in this manner. Id even give these guys the sign as Id drive pass them in my pick up...

Last edited by Vette_DD; 10-27-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Lang at linked website
Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
Now that I am retired and living in South Carolina, my new (2 week old) Corvette will be driven all year long. Infact, this is my one and only car! This is something new for me as Corvettes have always been my second car, used as a toy on nice days and stored 6-7 months of the year during the Rochester NY Winters, where I use to live.
So my situation is different, but if I still lived up North, rest assured, I would be pumping up the tires, and making all the preperations for Winter storage.

Yeah I live in Rochester now and there is no way I would ever drive on these streets during the "salt" season. I love my car too much for that
Old 10-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Just glad where I live and don't have to worry about winter storage. But there will be a few days I won't drive it.

Don't blame any of you for winter storage though, if that's what you need to do.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:20 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm really happy if you can drive it through the winter but I won't because the tires I have aren't really meant for cold weather driving. I don't feel it is very safe unless the temp is over thirty at least.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:07 PM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
DId you read the hundred other threads about "how should I winterize my car?". Guess not.

Yes, I've seen the current ones, just like every year at this time, on every car appreciation forum.

While my car is a daily driver I can most certainly appreciate why some people want to store there care; some out of necessity (winter conditions just too harsh) and others by decision (want to keep their car clean).

Having just done a full brake job on my car I had the opportunity to see, up close, all the little blems associated with daily driving. Despite my car having relatively low miles (my 2008 only has 35K miles on it) and being maintained and detailed regularly, the tolls of driving still have their affect. For me, it is OK, but for some who show there cars or just like to attend cruise nights where appearances are more important I can appreciate the desire to keep it off the road in the winter.

Since I am in Southern California I have little knowledge of this "winter" thing you speak of, but even then I know people here that put there babys (cars) up for the winter (as well as others that will be on the racetrack, or canyon run, etc.), and I can respect their decision. I can't imagine having to deal with a real winter. That's worse than brush fires and earth quakes.

Given the relatively small brotherhood of CF C6 I just don't understand these divisive threads that really have no point, hence my initial response.

Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary, not redeemable for cash.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I can't believe I read this dumb topic!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Obviously,you have never lived in the snow belt. Once the salt hits the roads around here even on a dry sunny cold day here it would be foolish to drive the Vette,the salt dust would be everywhere all over and inside the car.
I think he's seriously confused as to what winter really is, and more importantly, what lake effect snow is. I know the Buffalo area gets it early off Lake Erie, and us lucky folks in the Syracuse area get it off Lake Ontario a bit later. Either way it's DEFINITELY not Corvette weather, and when you can TASTE the road salt while driving, that's not a good thing. Luckily for me my GS is a summer toy, I've got 3 other vehicles to choose from in the winter months, one AWD the other two 4WD.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:54 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by highping
I bought mine to drive...and it is driven daily!
Raleigh, NC?? No kidding, a cold day there is 70 degrees, and when you guys get 2 inches of snow EVERTYHING shuts down for a couple days until it melts. Up here, we get 2 FEET of snow overnight and it's business as usual. I bought mine to drive too, but winter in the Northeast is NOT the time to drive a Corvette.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:55 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
Same with me, but we both live down South and can get away with having a Corvette as a DD. Up North is a different story!
Thank you!!
Old 10-28-2012, 12:59 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Racer
All you "I can't believe people park their cars for the winter people" I got a question. When this super storm hits the East Coast are you guys going to be driving your Vettes then?
Why not? What's a little rain and wind?
Thank you! I'm really waiting to hear all the intelligent replies to that question.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:03 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by speedraider
lets just drive them all year long, i'm in
Florida? Ya think??
Old 10-28-2012, 01:25 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
I think he's seriously confused as to what winter really is, and more importantly, what lake effect snow is. I know the Buffalo area gets it early off Lake Erie, and us lucky folks in the Syracuse area get it off Lake Ontario a bit later. Either way it's DEFINITELY not Corvette weather, and when you can TASTE the road salt while driving, that's not a good thing. Luckily for me my GS is a summer toy, I've got 3 other vehicles to choose from in the winter months, one AWD the other two 4WD.
I live in southern WI and yes we get plenty of snow. But a few days after the snow has cleared and the roads are dry, then its all good to drive. Take it to the store, or just joy ride and enjoy some tunes. Thats all Im saying. No need to park it literally all day every day. There are MORE clear/dry days x10 over days you really cant/shouldnt drive them. Seriously. Guys you act like this is a "dumb topic", but there are plenty of replies with people that agree with me. And not all of them live in the south where there is literally no snow. The salt does not hang around all year, or for more than a week usually here in my neck of the woods. It gets cleared away with the snow. Seriously, some of you people treat these things like veyrons.... Keep the mileage down and dont let a drip of anything touch it. While we are at it, lets get a good heated debate about which brand gas is good. Or better yet, lets talk oil......... Its a lost cause here. I guess I will just pull my car apart completely, and box up all the parts in a heated storage unit until spring. I will label them all, and keep them packed in peanuts. Should rename the GS the GRANDPA SPORT.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:48 AM
terryp
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 2011 Wnter Driver

I drive a 2011 C6 base year round that is fund to drive! IF I had a 1965 collector edition I wouldn't even consider it.

Get notified of new replies

To People **Against** winter storage....

Old 10-28-2012, 01:49 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
I live in southern WI and yes we get plenty of snow. But a few days after the snow has cleared and the roads are dry, then its all good to drive. Take it to the store, or just joy ride and enjoy some tunes. Thats all Im saying. No need to park it literally all day every day. There are MORE clear/dry days x10 over days you really cant/shouldnt drive them. Seriously. Guys you act like this is a "dumb topic", but there are plenty of replies with people that agree with me. And not all of them live in the south where there is literally no snow. The salt does not hang around all year, or for more than a week usually here in my neck of the woods. It gets cleared away with the snow. Seriously, some of you people treat these things like veyrons.... Keep the mileage down and dont let a drip of anything touch it. While we are at it, lets get a good heated debate about which brand gas is good. Or better yet, lets talk oil......... Its a lost cause here. I guess I will just pull my car apart completely, and box up all the parts in a heated storage unit until spring. I will label them all, and keep them packed in peanuts. Should rename the GS the GRANDPA SPORT.
Definitely not a Veyron, but check out your average annual snowfall vs mine. Ours here in Syracuse is about 125-130" and that's AVERAGE. Plus, they use a LOT of salt and liquid brine mix on the roads here, not really good stuff to have all over the underside of your toy. I love driving mine and I hate putting in in mothballs for a few months, but in all seriousness, it's just not practical or safe driving a Corvette between December and March up here. Mine's still on the road and will be until we get the first forecast of snow, the year before last we had 197" of snow, do the math, that's a pretty big pile. With the lake effect snow we get, there are stretches of 25-30 days at a time where we'll get at least a couple inches, or a couple feet, but no dry days really. I have 3 other vehicles either AWD or 4WD that are much more suited to driving in snow, so the Vette stays in the garage.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:53 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
Definitely not a Veyron, but check out your average annual snowfall vs mine. Ours here in Syracuse is about 125-130" and that's AVERAGE. Plus, they use a LOT of salt and liquid brine mix on the roads here, not really good stuff to have all over the underside of your toy. I love driving mine and I hate putting in in mothballs for a few months, but in all seriousness, it's just not practical or safe driving a Corvette between December and March up here. Mine's still on the road and will be until we get the first forecast of snow, the year before last we had 197" of snow, do the math, that's a pretty big pile. With the lake effect snow we get, there are stretches of 25-30 days at a time where we'll get at least a couple inches, or a couple feet, but no dry days really. I have 3 other vehicles either AWD or 4WD that are much more suited to driving in snow, so the Vette stays in the garage.
In your case, then I see it completely. But atleast have it on standby if we get a mild one.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:54 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 312 Likes on 200 Posts

Quick Reply: People **Against** winter storage....