C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People **Against** winter storage....

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 01:45 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default People **Against** winter storage....

Sound off. Lets talk about how we are not going to air up the tires, and put it on jackstands. This "I need to winter proof my car" stuff is quite annoying. I live in the midwest where we will get the brunt of winter and all its joys. That means cold, snow, salt and so on. BUUUUUUT, it doesnt mean that every waking moment of the next 8 months will be like that. **** we probably wont even see snow at this rate until feb 2013. So there is NO need to put the car on ice. These people that kiss their cars goodnight for months, are not doing their cars any favors. I have had 3 C6s, 3 mustangs and 2 camaros in the last 14 years. Not one of them has had a drop of stabil in it, or been "winterized" ever. They have all came out as many COLD and crappy looking days as possible, as long as the streets are clear and dry. Again, there is NO need to bed these vettes. Its purely a personal preference I assure you. And to those who think your car is going to be better off, you are wrong. Unless you cant control yourself with the new found power, or the cold tires/streets then yes you should stop driving it. But for the rest of us normal people, saddle up on those cold and sunny days just as if it were 85* out. Nothing wrong with it, and the car will love you for it. Trust me, its better to keep driving your car year round responsibly then it is to over fill the tires, pour stabil in there and risk scratching it with a cover.

So to all those planning to drive your car year round, lets hear from you!!!!!

Last edited by C6RaceCar; 10-27-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:52 AM
AGFNTB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C6RaceCar
Sound off. Lets talk about how we are not going to air up the tires, and put it on jackstands. This "I need to winter proof my car" stuff is quite annoying. I live in the midwest where we will get the brunt of winter and all its joys. That means cold, snow, salt and so on. BUUUUUUT, it doesnt mean that every waking moment of the next 8 months will be like that. **** we probably wont even see snow at this rate until feb 2013. So there is NO need to put the car on ice. These people that kiss their cars goodnight for months, are not doing their cars any favors. I have had 3 C6s, 3 mustangs and 2 camaros in the last 14 years. Not one of them has had a drop of stabil in it, or been "winterized" ever. They have all came out as many COLD and crappy looking days, as long as the streets are clear and dry. Again, there is NO need to bed these vettes. Its purely a personal preference I assure you. And to those who think your car is going to be better off, you are wrong. Unless you cant control yourself with the new found power, or the cold tires/streets then yes you should stop driving it. But for the rest of us normal people, saddle up on those cold and sunny days just as if it were 85* out. Nothing wrong with it, and the car will love you for it. Trust me, its better to keep driving your car year round responsibly then it is to over fill the tires, pour stabil in there and risk scratching it with a cover.

Really? Has this forum come to this?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:58 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Sure I'll play. I see no reson to store the car for the winter. My car is garaged yes but if its not snowing and there is no ice or salt on the ground I see no reason not to drive it. I mean it is a car at the end of the day and let's face it the car has a lot more spirit with all the cold air going into the motor.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:02 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AGFNTB
Really? Has this forum come to this?
DId you read the hundred other threads about "how should I winterize my car?". Guess not.

Originally Posted by brooklync5
Sure I'll play. I see no reson to store the car for the winter. My car is garaged yes but if its not snowing and there is no ice or salt on the ground I see no reason not to drive it. I mean it is a car at the end of the day and let's face it the car has a lot more spirit with all the cold air going into the motor.
Um yep thats it in a nut shell. The winter gives you like a 25hp upgrade for free. Pair that with the cold roads, and it makes for a fun joy ride.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:36 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

I can't believe anyone would dump stabilizer in their tank or put the Vet on jack stands! Even living in Alaska where the car might sit in the garage from Nov till April the only thing I do is disconnect the battery and put a cover on it.
Want to be ready to roll anytime the roads are clear
Old 10-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Sound off. Lets talk about how we are not going to air up the tires, and put it on jackstands. This "I need to winter proof my car" stuff is quite annoying. I live in the midwest where we will get the brunt of winter and all its joys. That means cold, snow, salt and so on. BUUUUUUT, it doesnt mean that every waking moment of the next 8 months will be like that. **** we probably wont even see snow at this rate until feb 2013. So there is NO need to put the car on ice. These people that kiss their cars goodnight for months, are not doing their cars any favors. I have had 3 C6s, 3 mustangs and 2 camaros in the last 14 years. Not one of them has had a drop of stabil in it, or been "winterized" ever. They have all came out as many COLD and crappy looking days as possible, as long as the streets are clear and dry. Again, there is NO need to bed these vettes. Its purely a personal preference I assure you. And to those who think your car is going to be better off, you are wrong. Unless you cant control yourself with the new found power, or the cold tires/streets then yes you should stop driving it. But for the rest of us normal people, saddle up on those cold and sunny days just as if it were 85* out. Nothing wrong with it, and the car will love you for it. Trust me, its better to keep driving your car year round responsibly then it is to over fill the tires, pour stabil in there and risk scratching it with a cover.

An abnormal scratch risker here...
I dont drive my car in the winter, she sits pretty in the garage and have been doing it this way (with my toy cars) for years with absolutely no problems. I have no desire to drive her in the elements as you've suggested. To me it is more of a task and not enjoyment. I have enough going on to keep myself occupied.

If its "purely a personal preference", then why do you feel the need to advise others on what or what not to do with their vettes...

Whats really annoying (and comical might I add), are those who get annoyed at how others use their property and think they know how others should use their property instead of just worrying about their own matters/cars/investments/problems/etc. etc. etc....
Old 10-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Obviously,you have never lived in the snow belt. Once the salt hits the roads around here even on a dry sunny cold day here it would be foolish to drive the Vette,the salt dust would be everywhere all over and inside the car.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:02 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 347 Posts

Yea, I'm one of those People **Against** winter storage.... However, I am "in favor" of summer storage. Too hot, too humid and too rainy so I never drive it in the summer here.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:05 AM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a matter of personal choice and state location.

To year around drivers.......
Old 10-27-2012, 08:09 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

lets just drive them all year long, i'm in
Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

If you get your jollies out of driving on Northeast cold, sand and salt inundated roads have at it! My car will stay in the garage where it belongs, but thanks for caring!!! LMAO...
Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by bobafett
An abnormal scratch risker here...
I dont drive my car in the winter, she sits pretty in the garage and have been doing it this way (with my toy cars) for years with absolutely no problems. I have no desire to drive her in the elements as you've suggested. To me it is more of a task and not enjoyment. I have enough going on to keep myself occupied.

If its "purely a personal preference", then why do you feel the need to advise others on what or what not to do with their vettes...

Whats really annoying (and comical might I add), are those who get annoyed at how others use their property and think they know how others should use their property instead of just worrying about their own matters/cars/investments/problems/etc. etc. etc....

It's like taking the boat out on the lake when its 35 degrees out. Sure it can be done, but what fun is it? Most of us have more appropriate vehicles to drive during the winter months and don't feel like it's the end of the world because our summer toys are stored for a few months.

Last edited by R&L's C6; 10-27-2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:27 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Here ya go, now you can start your official group on here
Old 10-27-2012, 08:34 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Kind of nice to put the Vette away for a few months, then in the Spring it is like getting a new car all over again.
Besides while the Vette sleeps in the Winter, I play golf in Florida.
Being a "Snowbird" is hell.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:38 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 717 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
Here ya go, now you can start your official group on here

where do I sign up?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 AM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

We had a winter about 15 years ago it got down to 42 for a few days . Burrrrrrr .
Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Johnny_B_Good
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

No winter storage for me. Like the OP, if the streets are dry and salt free I’ll drive it. I’ve been doing this for the last seven winters.

Get notified of new replies

To People **Against** winter storage....

Old 10-27-2012, 09:10 AM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a former New Englander (New Hampshire), between salt dust, sand, pebbles, and "froast heaves" I kept her locked up, covered, and with a Battery Tender. Now living just north of Charlotte I use her year around (one reason I moved here).
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,598 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Why is it an issue to anyone if someone wants to store their car for the winter - or anytime for that matter.

With the first uncivil post, this thread goes
Old 10-27-2012, 09:15 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Mine is a weekend fun machine. Inside and covered when the roads are bad.

Quick Reply: People **Against** winter storage....