C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Plastic Squeak

Okay Guys and Gals...

I'm getting a plastic squeaking noise coming from the dash. It seems to be coming from the instrument cluster area, but I cannot pin it down. I get the squeak when I hit slight bumps in the road, like lane markers. It is a consistent squeak and it is driving me nuts.

I'm sure people have experienced squeaks in the past. I would like to know what squeaks you have experienced from the driver's side area (around the instrument cluster) and what you did to fix those squeaks.

My plans are to look under the dash today to see if the squeak is possibly coming from there, but I really don't expect to find anything.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,912 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Dash pod is held on with spring clips. Try pushing on pod while driving over a area that causes the noise. Might need to pull pod and spread the clips for a tighter fit. Gl
Old 12-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Another possibility to try and rule out is just outside the windshield.....

When I had our brand spanking new 2013 GS to the local dealer to get a PA inspection ( since we bought our's at Kerbeck in NJ) the dealer pointed out to me that there is a service bulletin out ( at least on our model) for replacement of the plastic piece that sits just below the windshield wipers and goes across the full width of the windshield. They showed me the pics of it.

Since I am not hearing any squeaking yet, I will let it ride. Should one develop, I'll at least know where to start looking and have a solution.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Originally Posted by Strake
Another possibility to try and rule out is just outside the windshield.....

When I had our brand spanking new 2013 GS to the local dealer to get a PA inspection ( since we bought our's at Kerbeck in NJ) the dealer pointed out to me that there is a service bulletin out ( at least on our model) for replacement of the plastic piece that sits just below the windshield wipers and goes across the full width of the windshield. They showed me the pics of it.

Since I am not hearing any squeaking yet, I will let it ride. Should one develop, I'll at least know where to start looking and have a solution.
I have heard of this, but do not think this is the issue... Thank you for the response.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Originally Posted by wayback
Dash pod is held on with spring clips. Try pushing on pod while driving over a area that causes the noise. Might need to pull pod and spread the clips for a tighter fit. Gl
Looking at the design, I thought that might be one of the possibilities. I will have to search the forum to see if there are any DIY tips for removing the dash pod.

I have pushed on the instrument cluster (I'm assuming this is what is referred to as the dash pod???) and it does seem to stop the squeak, but I need to test a little further.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 11:37 AM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the two sides of the cluster where the dic and HUD buttons are. Mine did that too new then settled down.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,890 Likes on 1,912 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Look at Paul Talons website...redlion.com
For detailed instructions to remove the pod cluster.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:08 PM
MarkRM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rossi6998
Okay Guys and Gals...

I'm getting a plastic squeaking noise coming from the dash. It seems to be coming from the instrument cluster area, but I cannot pin it down. I get the squeak when I hit slight bumps in the road, like lane markers. It is a consistent squeak and it is driving me nuts.

I'm sure people have experienced squeaks in the past. I would like to know what squeaks you have experienced from the driver's side area (around the instrument cluster) and what you did to fix those squeaks.

My plans are to look under the dash today to see if the squeak is possibly coming from there, but I really don't expect to find anything.

Thanks
If it's similar to the squeak I had (almost like rubbing two pieces of styrofoam together) in my 08 Coupe, it's the clear plastic lens cover over the gauges. Pull the instrument cluster bezel off with your fingers and you'll see the screws in the corners holding the lens in place. Slightly loosen each screw and the noise will go away. It'll be 5 years this coming May and not a peep heard again.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:53 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Originally Posted by wayback
Look at Paul Talons website...redlion.com
For detailed instructions to remove the pod cluster.
Thanks for the information...
Old 01-05-2013, 02:17 AM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Okay... Taking the Corvette to West Coast Corvette tomorrow (Saturday) for the squeak. It appears to be coming from under the dash somewhere around the instrument cluster. If I bang near the truck/fuel door release buttons, the dash/instrument cluster squeaks. If I pull up slightly on the dash and away from the instrument cluster, or press down on the top of the dash above the instrument cluster , the squeak stops.

Since I can replicate the squeak without the car moving, I'll bring it to them and let the experts pull the dash apart.

Wish me luck...
Old 01-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

**UPDATE** The squeak is gone. As stated above, took the Corvette to West Coast Corvette. The technician, Scott, spent an hour on the car taking the dashboard apart. The squeak was caused by a label (sticker) attached inside the dash above instrument cluster and air conditioner duct that connects to the vent near the driver's door.

The label started to peel and the edges of the label were making contact with the top of the air conditioner duct. When the duct would move, the label against the duct would cause the squeaking sound.

I know... We were surprised. Initially, we actually thought it was something with the HUD.

Anyway, special thanks to Scott. He did a great job and cared for my vehicle like it was his. He let me watch and I learned a lot....

Thanks to everyone who provided input.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM
WCC JOE
Supporting Vendor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad we could help, have a great week.

Joe@westcoastcorvette.com
888-737-8388 ext 222

Get notified of new replies

To Plastic Squeak

Quick Reply: Plastic Squeak