C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone tried Sweep Lite sequential tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Jeffro_510
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, now that the sun is going down, i was able to take a quick 15 second video.
I would also like to add, that I worked with a guy named Tony from SweepLite, and he was very helpful talking me through the install, as well as figuring out that i had installed one of the bulbs facing in the wrong direction, lol (I am not perfect I guess)
I took the Video with my Android phone, and it was recorded in HD, although it just doesnt capture the effect that the lites give. I will try again with my Hero3 and see if it looks better in video with that (been wanting to try the new Hero3 anyways)

I will try and post the video here, although I am not exactly sure how to do it.

Last edited by Jeffro_510; 01-12-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffro_510
ok, now that the sun is going down, i was able to take a quick 15 second video.
I would also like to add, that I worked with a guy named Tony from SweepLite, and he was very helpful talking me through the install, as well as figuring out that i had installed one of the bulbs facing in the wrong direction, lol (I am not perfect I guess)
I took the Video with my Android phone, and it was recorded in HD, although it just doesnt capture the effect that the lites give. I will try again with my Hero3 and see if it looks better in video with that (been wanting to try the new Hero3 anyways)

I will try and post the video here, although I am not exactly sure how to do it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZmhsh7mGyM
Nice job, I like it.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 PM
Jeffro_510
Burning Brakes

They look way better in person
Old 12-13-2013, 07:48 AM
pilewis
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sweeplites installed.

I have the sweeplites on my sunset orange 2005 C6. I really like the effect. It looks just like the video. There are 2 problems with them. Like all LED lights, you will need resistors, otherwise you will get a rapid flash (the system thinks you have a burned out bulb). The lights came with 2 resistors (rather large size) but I bought 4 separate smaller 60 ohm resistors from Ebay. One resistor is wired in parallel with each tail light (the two outside wires). The instructions on the resistors are to mount to some metal as a heatsink. There really isn't any metal in the tail area so I just let mine hang free. This seems to work well as there seems to be enough space to keep them cool enough.

The other problem with the sweeplites is that they are not as bright as normal brake or turn signal lights. They are great at night or a cloudy day, but not as noticeable in full sun. I added a very bright full LED third high brakelight (color matched) from Corvette Mods and a brake pulsar. This combination is very noticeable even on bright days.

Other than adding the resistors, the bulb replacement is just plug and play. You get 4 bulbs (2 for each side) and you just pop out the old bulbs and put in the new bulbs in the correct order. They are clearly marked for nearer and farther from fender.

One more note. Some people have just wired the old bulbs in parallel with the new bulbs in place of a resistor. The old bulbs would just hang loose in the open rear area. I was worried about breakage, so I just went with the resistor.

I have gotten a lot of positive comments, except for the lack of brightness on a sunny day.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Jeffro_510
i have been considering getting a set and trying them out. The video i have seen of them makes them look pretty cool.
I was just curious if anyone has tried them on a C6? If so how was the install? How do you like them?
i would attach a link to the website i have seen them for sale on, but I am not sure if it is against forum rules.

Here is a link of them in action though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=gaT1pFcg-fA
Old 12-13-2013, 08:31 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Jeffro,
Looks good.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:10 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I have the sequential turn signal mod with a set of LED lights from Corvette Mods. While maybe not as cool as the old Cougars, I like them.

Last edited by spdkilz911; 12-13-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:28 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

so these only flash with the turn signals? i actually want them to flash when i hit the brakes to make sure no one runs into the back of me.
i could always rewire ti to work with brake lights instead.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:53 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by smurfkiller
so these only flash with the turn signals? i actually want them to flash when i hit the brakes to make sure no one runs into the back of me.
I believe so, just turn signals and hazards. I saw a nice reflection in a truck grill and they didn't flash with the brake applied.

Originally Posted by Drop Topp
Anyone know if these will work with eagle eye led replacement lamps?
Yes, I have the Eagle Eye LED lamps.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:30 PM
LPT2011
Instructor

Originally Posted by smurfkiller
The brake light was the thing that concerned me! Any chance of a video shot with the brakes applied ? I like the turn signals and the flashers working in sequence - but not the brakes. So I just want confirmation from someone that has them installed. Thanks
Old 12-15-2013, 09:48 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LPT2011
The brake light was the thing that concerned me! Any chance of a video shot with the brakes applied ? I like the turn signals and the flashers working in sequence - but not the brakes. So I just want confirmation from someone that has them installed. Thanks
The brake lights do not flash when applied.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:48 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
I think that you need 3 tail lights to make sequential tail lights worthwhile. JMO

The only car that I really liked them on was a 60's Thunderbird.
Mustangs, as well

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried Sweep Lite sequential tail lights?