C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 01:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Android 7" tablet install in a C6

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro4life18
Did I miss something in this thread, how are you guys programming sections of home screen to do volume controls and track controls?
Look at the pics on page 4 and 5. SDB_FTW and I modded some generic widgets. He did his a little different due to his Shell program would not stack widgets like mine. He is still using NOVA shell, while I am (with some issue) still using TSF_Shell.

Here are links to mine; if they dont work, PM me.

"Invisable" Volume Widget

Media Button Widgets
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Very nice write up
Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM
Camaro4life18
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the .apks, they look great!

I didn't have a very successful install attempt. Found out the wiring harness I ordered did not have a very accurate wiring diagram. There is no 12v ignition power. So I guess I"m going to have to run a wiring to the fuse box. I sat there with a multi-meter trying to find something that had 12v from the ignition, didn't find anything.

I also didn't get any sound out of my speakers. I haven't compared yet, but I'm guessing the speaker wiring is not right either. I'm going t have to check a wiring diagram for my harness.

Lastly I was very upset about my latest Android update on my Razr Maxx. Turns out Verizon disabled my wifi hotspot capabilities, which I used to use all the time with my other tablet... but I did get the bluetooth working. I may start thinking about rooting things if this is how Verizon wants to play.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Yea, that's kinda how it goes with custom mods like this. I ran into the same problem with the harness. I followed Blazinblue's parts list, but he did'nt explain how he wired it. I bit the bullet and went the more expensive, easier route of C2R-GM24.

You wont get any response from the speakers until you wire power to the BOSE amp (B3). If you follow the previous link to my thread in the Audio section, one of the guys there mentions that. I will link the wiring diagram bellow as well. You will need to split power from whichever fuse you wire into (unless you get the C2R-GM24 ).

If you want to root your devices, this is the site to find tutorials on.
XDA-Developers

To get proper charging power to the tablet, you will also need a Bosch SPDT relay (switch). If you run a wire from your fuse box, that will be wired to 86. The B1 from your harness (see last diagram) will be wired to 87; the other 2 are easy enough. I found a the SPDT relay (switch) at Fry's in the car audio section, but I would imagine any car audio place will have them.

If you want to use the harness you already have, this is useful.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Camaro4life18
Advanced

Ah, that makes sense about wiring power to the amp. And I did already get a relay, just have to wire in an ignition power to energize the relay. Thanks for the diagram. I'll have to go mess with it on Monday to try and get it working right :P

Last edited by Camaro4life18; 03-30-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:00 AM
Camaro4life18
Advanced

Well, I decided to just go with the PAC device. I like the idea of keeping the factory chimes, plus it looks like a much cleaner install...more plug and play like. I should get the new parts I ordered on Wednesday.

I'll take some pics of my whole setup and post them once I get it done. Like someone already said, this is a trial and error type project building off what others have done already. Maybe after a few of us do this we will have the best design and process down. My project is of course assuming that you are using the factory Bose amp.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 PM
blackss08
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone. I'm having a little problem. I have a 1TB hard drive plugged up to my N7. It loads it up plays but when I cut my car off ,then come back to my car start it up it has to reload everything on poweramp. Player Pro does the same thing.And sometimeswhen it trys to reload it doesn't play and I have to reset the N7 to get to play. Is there anyway possible that i could have it load and once its load not have to reload it when i start my car? My usb hub is self powered. Is there a particular way I need to rewire it in the dash?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 PM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

nice writeup. It reminds me of the Soundman mini ipad install, a pro install shop in Orlando area.

One thing to add: I personally like older school amps- Zapco. In the reinstall of an old competition system I exchanged the pre-out section op amps for a socket and Burr Brown op amps. This is possible in older amps; harder in wave soldered amps and makes a great mod of your older analog amps. Replacing these cheaper op amps will lower your THD by a factor of ten, so in my older school amps I run front and rear 115 WPC @ 8 ohm at 0.005 and the 10"sub at 310 WPC@ 8 ohm at 0.005 THD. The power is rated from 20 to 20,000 hz; so 115 into the front/rear is enough to deafen you. But at 0.005THD...the distortion is negligible at any volume.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:00 AM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

this is awesome! I just had to post in the thread to subscribe :P
Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

Originally Posted by blackss08
Hello Everyone. I'm having a little problem. I have a 1TB hard drive plugged up to my N7. It loads it up plays but when I cut my car off ,then come back to my car start it up it has to reload everything on poweramp. Player Pro does the same thing.And sometimeswhen it trys to reload it doesn't play and I have to reset the N7 to get to play. Is there anyway possible that i could have it load and once its load not have to reload it when i start my car? My usb hub is self powered. Is there a particular way I need to rewire it in the dash?
Unfortunately, you're the first I have read to actually put a networked HD in the car; a few people brought it up as an option over the course of the 2 threads though. It sounded like an excellent idea as an alternative to hosting everything on the cloud, but like everything, it sounds like it has its bugs as well.

The only knowledge I can use is from general computer experience, and to me it sounds like the tablet is loosing connection to the HD when you turn the car off. Do you have have Tasker (or similar type app) shutting down your wireless connection when the tablet sleeps? I know the Deep Sleep Battery Saver app I use, will shut down most apps (unless I set up exceptions), wifi, and bluetooth.

Also take a look at the MediaMonkey beta app. I use it to wirelessly sinc over my home network with the MediaMonkey Beta for Windows. Although I have not used the uPnP section, it has the ability to directly scan and play from network devices through the app itself. Beta means you may hit some bugs, but it has been fairly reliable for me.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Firewater Burns
Racer

I finally got my car put back together. In order to access the power button when needed, I bent a paperclip with a small foot at the bottom, then wrapped it in electrical tape as to prevent scratching the screen. I have no problem turning the power on or off this way.

I still have the following outstanding issues:

1. The 64gb memory card (Team 64GB MicroSDXC Flash Card) may still be causing issues. MP3 files were turning up corrupted or loosing information like artist and song names. I reformatted numerous times using different programs, all into FAT32. It takes time and use for the errors to show up and I didn't want another month of the car in pieces.

2. Volume. With the top on and the windows up, the volume is fine, but with the top off and windows down it is not enough for 40+ mph. I installed Volume+ Beta, it seems to give a nice boost, but I have to turn the EQ off. It is going to be in the 50's for the next 3 days, so no testing highway speeds until at least the weekend.

3. I am not satisfied with the way face plate fits and looks. I will change it out when I redo the center console.

That is about all I can think of atm. The MicroSD issue is the major PITA. I read numerous people having no problems with 64gb cards and Team seems to get as good of reviews on Newegg as Sandisk.

On the the pictures:

Last edited by Firewater Burns; 04-03-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:20 AM
Camaro4life18
Advanced

SUCCESS!!!!

I ended up going with the PAC device and that made the install a lot simpler. I also ended up rooting my phone, as I didn't like how the last upgraded disabled my wifi hotspot ability. I have the tasker setup to turn on my hotspot whenever it gets power, and the tablet auto-connects when it gets power. I am still waiting on an RCA adapter for my microphone, so when I get that in I'll take some pictures of my whole setup and give a parts list of what it took for me. I was able to get everything off of amazon minus an aluminum piece of metal to mount it in.

I am still evaluating the volume. It gets pretty loud, but like FirewaterBurns brought up, interstate+top off might not be loud enough. I'm going to start looking into line drivers to see if I can get a little more volume through that.

Lastly, since I'm a Java Developer, I'm considering developing a speed controlled volume app. I can use GPS to calculate speed, and maybe increase volume +1 for every 10MPH or something...or I'll probably make it customizable so you can pick how much it goes up based on your speed.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:31 PM
WBA-01
5th Gear

I just want to say thanks for all the info on this thread. I started following SDB_FTW on mp3 car's site, which seems to be abandoned when compared to this thread. I currently have a galaxy tab 2 replacing the outdated navi system in my acura, and now looking to put a nexus 7 in my C4 before summer gets here. I have no expericance working with android before taking on this project and just trying to learn as i go. I have a few questions for you guys...

Originally Posted by SDB_FTW
Hey I was playing around with your modified "mediabuttons" widget, and I couldn't get two flags to come all the way together. No matter how I resize the widgets, there's always a gap between them. Is there some kind of "no icon gap" or "overlapping" feature with TSF that allowed you to do this?
Did you ever get past this issue because i hit the same snag, as i'm also using nova and not tsf? If not would you be willing to share your apk with your setup ? And is it possible to make more than just the 2 theme's or are we limited to just the black and silver ? I ran the Apk Manager Wanam and found the folder with the icons, so to change the icon, is it just change the pnp and leaving the name the same ?

I added some info widgets to the top of my home screen. It's a little busier but I like it. The top-left folder has all my Google Play playlists in it for easy access. I also stacked some "invisible" shortcuts on top of the clock on the bottom-right that launch the Google Play Music app.
Is it easy to make "invisible" shortcuts ? I would love to have some hidden playlist on top of my clock as well.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:14 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Wow, talk about your all time OP abandonment!! I must've missed a notification a while back, because I had no idea my thread was still so active. Also, I'm living in a friends basement until I close on my house on the 30th, so I'm a little out of my element lately.

I'll try to go back and answer any questions that were posted, though Firewater seems to have answered most of them! Anyways, great to see the thread still going, and I'll try to be a better OP.

Cheers!
Old 04-15-2013, 11:31 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by blackss08
Sounds to me like Android isn't very good at indexing external drives... I'd do a google search on "android external drive indexing" and see what comes up. There might be something that could keep the drive indexed so that it doesn't have to reload everything every time you turn on the drive.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull
nice writeup. It reminds me of the Soundman mini ipad install, a pro install shop in Orlando area.

One thing to add: I personally like older school amps- Zapco. In the reinstall of an old competition system I exchanged the pre-out section op amps for a socket and Burr Brown op amps. This is possible in older amps; harder in wave soldered amps and makes a great mod of your older analog amps. Replacing these cheaper op amps will lower your THD by a factor of ten, so in my older school amps I run front and rear 115 WPC @ 8 ohm at 0.005 and the 10"sub at 310 WPC@ 8 ohm at 0.005 THD. The power is rated from 20 to 20,000 hz; so 115 into the front/rear is enough to deafen you. But at 0.005THD...the distortion is negligible at any volume.
I'd love to have a zapco amp, but $$$!! Maybe someday...
Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by Firewater Burns
I finally got my car put back together. In order to access the power button when needed, I bent a paperclip with a small foot at the bottom, then wrapped it in electrical tape as to prevent scratching the screen. I have no problem turning the power on or off this way.

I still have the following outstanding issues:

1. The 64gb memory card (Team 64GB MicroSDXC Flash Card) may still be causing issues. MP3 files were turning up corrupted or loosing information like artist and song names. I reformatted numerous times using different programs, all into FAT32. It takes time and use for the errors to show up and I didn't want another month of the car in pieces.

2. Volume. With the top on and the windows up, the volume is fine, but with the top off and windows down it is not enough for 40+ mph. I installed Volume+ Beta, it seems to give a nice boost, but I have to turn the EQ off. It is going to be in the 50's for the next 3 days, so no testing highway speeds until at least the weekend.

3. I am not satisfied with the way face plate fits and looks. I will change it out when I redo the center console.

That is about all I can think of atm. The MicroSD issue is the major PITA. I read numerous people having no problems with 64gb cards and Team seems to get as good of reviews on Newegg as Sandisk.
1. That really sucks. The only thing I can think of is to try to narrow down the problem. Maybe try another card, and put your current card into a different device, to narrow down whether or not your tablet or your card is the issue.

2. You'll have to remind me how you're sending the signal out from your tablet. If I remember correctly, you're taking the headphone out to the pre-ins on a harness that connects to the bose amp, correct? If so, you'll need to install a line driver in between the tablets in the pre-ins. That'll make a big difference without distorting the signal like the bybyte amp would, since your boosting the pre-amp signal instead of amplifying the signal twice.

3. I'll be interested to see how you go about this. If you wanted a quick solution, you could try to felt the surround to match your dash. If done well, it'll fill the small gaps, and would look pretty flush.

Looks great though man, glad to see it come together.

Get notified of new replies

To Android 7" tablet install in a C6

Old 04-15-2013, 11:56 PM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by Camaro4life18
SUCCESS!!!!

I ended up going with the PAC device and that made the install a lot simpler. I also ended up rooting my phone, as I didn't like how the last upgraded disabled my wifi hotspot ability. I have the tasker setup to turn on my hotspot whenever it gets power, and the tablet auto-connects when it gets power. I am still waiting on an RCA adapter for my microphone, so when I get that in I'll take some pictures of my whole setup and give a parts list of what it took for me. I was able to get everything off of amazon minus an aluminum piece of metal to mount it in.

I am still evaluating the volume. It gets pretty loud, but like FirewaterBurns brought up, interstate+top off might not be loud enough. I'm going to start looking into line drivers to see if I can get a little more volume through that.

Lastly, since I'm a Java Developer, I'm considering developing a speed controlled volume app. I can use GPS to calculate speed, and maybe increase volume +1 for every 10MPH or something...or I'll probably make it customizable so you can pick how much it goes up based on your speed.
That'd be a cool mod! I'd definitely suggest you also look into upping the gps refresh rate if you do that as well. I think it only updates every 3-5 seconds by default.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:02 AM
The_Raging_Bull
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd love to have a zapco amp, but $$$!! Maybe someday...
honestly if you're interested I have 6 or 8 Z220's (the predecessor to the studio series). I'll be using 5 so i you wanted 1 or 2 I might be able to accommodate..the z220's w/o burr brown work are 220.00 each..pm me if you're interested. note I'm in the mode of relocating so I'm in TN once per month. If you want any zapcos be patient and PM me, next trip home is the 26th.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:20 AM
SDB_FTW
Pro

Originally Posted by WBA-01
I just want to say thanks for all the info on this thread. I started following SDB_FTW on mp3 car's site, which seems to be abandoned when compared to this thread. I currently have a galaxy tab 2 replacing the outdated navi system in my acura, and now looking to put a nexus 7 in my C4 before summer gets here. I have no expericance working with android before taking on this project and just trying to learn as i go. I have a few questions for you guys...

Did you ever get past this issue because i hit the same snag, as i'm also using nova and not tsf? If not would you be willing to share your apk with your setup ? And is it possible to make more than just the 2 theme's or are we limited to just the black and silver ? I ran the Apk Manager Wanam and found the folder with the icons, so to change the icon, is it just change the pnp and leaving the name the same ?
To get rid of the gap, it ended up that, because of the way the volume app was written, I couldn't just change the icon. I had to bust open the app using a decompiler and change the "bounds" of where the icon sat within the pane, then recompile and sign it. I'm happy to share the apk file as well.

Volume apk: LINK

Originally Posted by WBA-01
Is it easy to make "invisible" shortcuts ? I would love to have some hidden playlist on top of my clock as well.
I don't use tsf, I use nova like you do, so this is easy for you to do. First, go into the Nova options and enable "Widget Overlap" and "Overlap when placing". Now you can stack your shortcut over the top of whatever widget you want. To make it invisible, i used photoshop to create a blank transparent image. Then I used Nova to change the shortcut icon by pressing and holding on the shortcut, and choosing "edit".

Quick Reply: Android 7" tablet install in a C6