C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATI harmonic balancer worth the price?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 11:31 PM
steventx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ATI harmonic balancer worth the price?

Just curous, I was told I probably need to replace my harmonic balancer..(wobble) on my base 05 vette. Was looking at summitt racing website and was told by a few people that ATI are the best. Seem to be by far the most expensive as well.... Is it worth it? And if so, just curious as to WHY it is worth it. Thanks in advance for any help...
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 AM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Underdrive pulley? Wasn't such a boon on my LS1, slipping belts and all. YMMV.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 AM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorDeath
Underdrive pulley? Wasn't such a boon on my LS1, slipping belts and all. YMMV.
He's just talking about a standard replacement pulley since his is wobbling.

OP: Personally I don't know a whole lot about the aftermarket ones but I have a feeling I might as well replace mine soon. ATI makes some high quality parts but personally I would search a few websites and shop around myself. Sorry I wasn't much help but let me know if you find anything good. I'm also considering upgrading to a 8 rib kit as well.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:17 AM
Blue Bandit
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ATI may be twice the price of the GM OEM but it'll last probably last the life of your car. You'll be changing the GM HB again and again, since they can't make it correctly, and won't admit it. I did some research on this, and I came to the conclusion that most have done. I have an 06, LS2.
ATI Super Damper Part# 917246.
Goodyear Gatorback belts Part#'s 4060798 and 4040410.
New GM balancer bolt #12557840.
Diamond embedded washer #12603843.

Maybe a new seal, new idler pulley. Steering rack has to be removed to get to it. Make sure they don't use old bolt to set balancer, it could strip threads.

Mine is wobbling somewhat also, I'm just getting ready ahead of time.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (03-10-2020)
Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

ATI is one of the best in the world,and the best comes at a higher price,I know if my HB ever went on me,it would be no question to get the ATI

QUOTE: (Construction of the ATI Super Damper is simple yet elegant – there is a hub that works with an interference-fit to the crankshaft – typically in the .0007-inch range, meaning that you’ll need the proper damper installation tool to install one. ATI can install as many as four keyways into the hub if you need them.

Then you have the inner shell, the inertia weight that incorporates the elastomer o-rings, and the outer shell. Other brands of elastomer damper may have an inner and outer metal ring that has had the elastomer material forced between the layers to bond them together while it cures, rather than the rebuildable style of the ATI damper. )

http://atiracing.com/

Get notified of new replies

To ATI harmonic balancer worth the price?

Quick Reply: ATI harmonic balancer worth the price?