C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Grand sport option worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:39 PM
11BladeGS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

16 pages of this so far huh?

When I shopped for my Vette, I bought the one that "I" wanted. It doesn't matter to me what somebody else wants, or why.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 PM
nous defions
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MBB
P.S. I've noticed a trend. GS owners talk down to z51 owners because we're not "a trim level" like they are. Z06 owners call GS owners slow posers (let's face it...they are). ZR1 owners don't care..because we're all slow and broke to them.
It's awesome that you own a ZR1! It is the next Vette I'll acquire in about 7 years. It is a nice goal to have. For now, I'm more than happy with my GS and, I still get excited when I know I'm about to drive it, or that it is simply sitting in my garage.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:05 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 465 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Hameister
This thread gets dumber every time I look at it.

Think I'll buy a 911 Twin Turbo, it eats Corvettes for breakfast.
That's an awesome car. I will wait until the local dealer accepts food stamps as I understand the current Robin Hood government will give away free Porsche's after unlimited welfare, healthcare etc on the working mans dime.

Rant over !
Old 08-01-2013, 08:39 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by IrishSpuds
That's an awesome car. I will wait until the local dealer accepts food stamps as I understand the current Robin Hood government will give away free Porsche's after unlimited welfare, healthcare etc on the working mans dime.

Rant over !
Thank you for the compliment on my car.

We could take the political conversation to PR&C, where I'm certain we'd have much in common, but I've reached the point where I can no longer discuss this current administration rationally, so I'm just not going to aggravate myself anymore.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:32 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the compliment on my car.

We could take the political conversation to PR&C, where I'm certain we'd have much in common, but I've reached the point where I can no longer discuss this current administration rationally, so I'm just not going to aggravate myself anymore.
I'm with you on that!! I stopped watching any news and I'm hanging on until the ride comes to a screeching halt!!! GT3 RS is where it's at in my opinion when it comes to Porsches!
Old 08-01-2013, 09:38 PM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishSpuds

Rant over !
Where I used to live some people were raised on welfare and housing assistance and think it's an entitlement...very sad that these kids have parents who are content being spoon fed with no dignity, goals or self pride...I'd rather live in a shack that I pay for than a nice house I don't...34 yr old working man's rant over...
Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by waynelittle1
By the way, I happen to like NRB. So mine must be better.

You got me. haha

Originally Posted by Corvettinator
Same driver same course in both cars is more important than random forum guys racing on different tracks, where one driver can be better than the other (qualitative variable). When I see Randy Pobst testing both cars on the same track, then I'll buy the numbers.

And last I looked, there are plenty of base coupes whose warranties have died natural deaths. The GS came out in 2010, so there are none that have run their warranties unless they are over 100K. Point being, selection bias, people with dead warranties tend to be more likely to track and strip their cars than those with live warranties, which leads to a sample size error (not enough GS's for statistical purposes).
No, it doesnt. Lots of us buy our cars new and hit the track with them. Thats the reason why we buy them. There are fast and slow tracks, there are also calculations for DA that help level the playing field. I am sorry that the base car has posted the fastest times. Regardless, its done it.

Originally Posted by nous defions
It's awesome that you own a ZR1! It is the next Vette I'll acquire in about 7 years. It is a nice goal to have. For now, I'm more than happy with my GS and, I still get excited when I know I'm about to drive it, or that it is simply sitting in my garage.
He has a Z51. He makes sure and rubs that in to me all the time.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Steelpack88
3rd Gear

I don't know Jack Shat! I have a GS that will probably never go to the track. I get on it but nothing too extreme. I got the GS cause it is pretty bad *** looking! When you are spending corvette money go with what appeals to YOU.

If you need a car to boost your ego you are in the words of the great Archie Bunker.............
A MEATHEAD!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Hameister
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Steelpack88
I don't know Jack Shat! I have a GS that will probably never go to the track. I get on it but nothing too extreme. I got the GS cause it is pretty bad *** looking! When you are spending corvette money go with what appeals to YOU.

If you need a car to boost your ego you are in the words of the great Archie Bunker.............
A MEATHEAD!

Your comment reminds me of something I posted, where in I said...

"I purchased a Grand Sport because I just loved the way it looked. It was honkin' badass, and actually looked a little intimidating to me. I still love the way it looks, and enjoy driving it. That's enough for me. Period!"

I got all kinds of remarks like, "what a waste of money if you're not going to track it". "I would never spend $6,000 more for a car, unless I had a specific use for it's extra cost." "If you're not going to track a GS, you should have bought a base coupe."

Yada, yada, blah, blah, blah, ....In my opinion, these folks gotta be really stupid, or just insanely jealous. Like somehow it is not acceptable to buy a car simply because you really like it, and you can afford it. Not good enough for these morons. No, you must purchase your car, using the same standards they apply to their purchases, or you are somehow incapable of making a rational decision.

Similar criticisms develop on computer forum sites. When I built a new computer last year using an Intel i7 3930k, and an Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, I received comments like..."where are you going to use all that computing power? What a waste of money?" "My motherboard cost 1/3 what you payed for yours, and it does everything anyone should ever need to do with a computer." "I would never spend $500.00 for a CPU, my $139.00 AMD CPU works almost as well."

I could go on, but you get the idea. There always seems to be the same mob mentality, that attacks anyone for having something that they either don't need, don't want, or can't afford. I see the same thing on many of these threads.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:05 AM
rayk
Drifting

Nothing every changes with the GS arguments. Just be happy with your choice and let it go, or is this just entertainment?

Old 08-02-2013, 01:39 AM
C6ROLLER
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rayk
Nothing every changes with the GS arguments. Just be happy with your choice and let it go, or is this just entertainment?

Why yes....yes it is....
Old 08-02-2013, 03:43 AM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MBB
Yea but...it won't be Randy Pobst in your car in a race between you and me right? I take track reviews with a grain of salt..
Right. The point is, which car is faster, not who the better driver is. So only the same driver in each car removes that variable.

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
No, it doesnt. Lots of us buy our cars new and hit the track with them. Thats the reason why we buy them. There are fast and slow tracks, there are also calculations for DA that help level the playing field. I am sorry that the base car has posted the fastest times. Regardless, its done it.
Aw, stats is hard, huh?

I'm guessing not a lot of hard science college grads in this thread.
Old 08-02-2013, 06:25 AM
ryoder
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Excellent point. I think it is Internet forum group think. People tend to form majority opinions on these forums which are intended to guide all buying and modding decisions. "All the guys on the forum say you should not waste money on the LT1 hotcam" etc. So if you go and put in a hotcam and post a great time slip, people get upset because you didn't buy the "recommended" cam of the day.

Get a life. It occurs on all forums.

I used to be a member of the gamedev.net forum and we had endless flame wars over DirectX versus OpenGL and anyone even bringing up the conversation had their thread locked immediately because it got so bad.

Your comment reminds me of something I posted, where in I said...

"I purchased a Grand Sport because I just loved the way it looked. It was honkin' badass, and actually looked a little intimidating to me. I still love the way it looks, and enjoy driving it. That's enough for me. Period!"

I got all kinds of remarks like, "what a waste of money if you're not going to track it". "I would never spend $6,000 more for a car, unless I had a specific use for it's extra cost." "If you're not going to track a GS, you should have bought a base coupe."

Yada, yada, blah, blah, blah, ....In my opinion, these folks gotta be really stupid, or just insanely jealous. Like somehow it is not acceptable to buy a car simply because you really like it, and you can afford it. Not good enough for these morons. No, you must purchase your car, using the same standards they apply to their purchases, or you are somehow incapable of making a rational decision.

Similar criticisms develop on computer forum sites. When I built a new computer last year using an Intel i7 3930k, and an Asus Rampage IV Extreme motherboard, I received comments like..."where are you going to use all that computing power? What a waste of money?" "My motherboard cost 1/3 what you payed for yours, and it does everything anyone should ever need to do with a computer." "I would never spend $500.00 for a CPU, my $139.00 AMD CPU works almost as well."

I could go on, but you get the idea. There always seems to be the same mob mentality, that attacks anyone for having something that they either don't need, don't want, or can't afford. I see the same thing on many of these threads.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:58 AM
MBB
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Right. The point is, which car is faster, not who the better driver is. So only the same driver in each car removes that variable.
Doesn't matter what car is faster on paper in a race... You can keep a stat sheet in your pocket if you like, doesn't make you feel any better after getting your butt handed to you at the track by a better driver in a Spec Miata. That's why people should buy what they want..

I'm faster than a great deal of people with supposedly better cars. There are people with supposedly slower cars that are faster than me because they are better drivers. Point being, it doesn't matter what the spec sheet says, anything can happen on a course. You just have to get what you want and have fun the way you like to have fun in your own car...

Fruitless argument is fruitless.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:34 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

God dang....I am trying to work to finish up the closing and you are posting along like a 13 year old girl on facebook with a new boyfriend. BTW, you forgot to "poke" me. haah

You are right, road course the GS beats the base.

When I say 1/4 mile I dont mean magazine tests. I mean ACTUAL track times by individuals where we can get track information and DA....etc You dont have that with those tests. Last I looked some LS3 narrow bodies have cracked 11s. Have the GS yet? No? Ok, glad we got that settled. haha
Would love to see some of these time sheets.
Got any?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Aw, stats is hard, huh?

I'm guessing not a lot of hard science college grads in this thread.
The thing with stats is that you must provide numbers. You havent provided any and you dont have any. You have no numbers as to how many of each have been taken to the track yet you want to talk about statistic? Lets see your statistics prove your point. You wont be able to. Oh, and those fastest times were posted when those cars were under warranty. Remember, the LS3 came out in 2008, some of those times were posted in 2008, 2009, 2010....so those cars were still on the warranty program. So to use a point that GS cars are under warranty and that is why they havent posted the fastest times is on the edge of retardation. Your speculation is a weak argument at best and is borderline laughable in regards to your comment about "hard science college grads".

BTW, I am willing to bet I have more college credits under my belt that you. I broke 190 a couple of years ago when I finished my second degree.

If you want to talk statistics I am all for it but you must provide data to work with and basis for your selection criteria. You have no real basis that makes sense and you have no data to gather. Good luck, we all look forward to your results.

Originally Posted by MBB
Doesn't matter what car is faster on paper in a race... You can keep a stat sheet in your pocket if you like, doesn't make you feel any better after getting your butt handed to you at the track by a better driver in a Spec Miata. That's why people should buy what they want..

I'm faster than a great deal of people with supposedly better cars. There are people with supposedly slower cars that are faster than me because they are better drivers. Point being, it doesn't matter what the spec sheet says, anything can happen on a course. You just have to get what you want and have fun the way you like to have fun in your own car...

Fruitless argument is fruitless.
I am using real world results.

Last edited by TLS_Addict; 08-02-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:42 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vet55
Would love to see some of these time sheets.
Got any?
They are posted here on the site.

Best I could turn in 2800 DA, on stock run flats, at 1,001 mile, no burn out, 32 psi in the rear, 3/4 tank of gas, was a 12.7@115 on a 2.15 sixty foot (rolled out of the hole). Issue with the track I was at is that at the line you rock back if you take your foot off the brake and the first 1/8th is uphill. Very hard to get it to stay steady that way without a line-lock. Its not a track for posting fast times, that is for sure. haha

Get notified of new replies

To Is the Grand sport option worth it?

Old 08-02-2013, 11:19 AM
vet55
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Some past runs from,
www.myquartermile.com

Yeah, I know, you can post
anything online. fwiw

2013 Chevrolet Corvette 427 Convertible 3.900 12.200 Car & Driver
2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Convertible 4.400 12.700 Car & Driver
2012 Chevrolet Volt 9.100 17.000 Car & Driver
2011 Chevrolet Volt 8.000 0.000 Road and Track
2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ 8.900 17.000 Car & Driver
2011 Chevrolet Callaway Corvette SC606 3.800 11.800 Road & Track
2011 Chevrolet Volt 8.800 16.800 Road & Track
2011 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 3.600 11.900 Road & Track
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS Convertible 4.900 13.400 Car & Driver
2011 Chevrolet Cruize LT 8.000 16.400 Car & Driver
2011 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 3.600 11.500 Car & Driver
2010 Chevrolet Cruze 8.600 16.600 (0-60 8.5-8.7)(1/4 mile 16.6-16.8) C&D
2010 Chevrolet Equinox 7.800 16.000 (0-60 7.8-9.6)(1/4 mile 16-17.8) C&D
2010 Chevrolet Equinox 9.200 16.900 Truck Trend
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 6.100 14.600 Motor Trend
2010 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport 4.100 12.400 Road&Track
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SLP ZL575 (6 spd. A) 4.300 12.500 Road&Track
2010 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport 4.300 12.600 Car & Driver
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS 4.600 13.000 Car & Driver
2010 Chevrolet Camaro RS 5.900 14.500 Car & Driver
2010 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 3.500 11.500 Road & Track
2010 Chevrolet Callaway Corvete SC606 3.800 11.800 Road & Track
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT Coupe 5.900 14.400 Road & Track
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS Coupe 4.600 13.000 Road & Track
2009 Chevrolet Chevy Cobalt SS Turbo 2.0L 5.800 14.000 (edmunds.com)
Old 08-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I missed those track tests. Where did you find the track tests that showed the base coupe beating the GS? The last one I read was in Road & Track last year with the shoot out at Spring Mountain and the GS was 5 seconds per lap faster than the base coupe.

Thanks in advance for the info.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:34 PM
gp2race
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12

You may/may not be, correct, regarding the superiority of the C7 vs. C6.

I also have a '13 2LT GS. Paid cash so I'm in a great position financially with this car. Love the classic look of the C6, especially the rear end, vs. the abortion that's been perpetrated on the C7.

However, like some others, I don't feel some kind of unending loyalty to the C6. I also never purchase a new product, be it a refrigerator, or a Corvette, in it's very first year of production. I prefer not to be a pioneer with my $60k. IF, after a year of good reviews, technology verification, driving a C7 several times so I can compare the performance, and handling, and the comfort, and the interior, etc., to my C6, and finding it worth the trade off against the look of the C6, then I will order a 2015 C7.

For me, it'll take a feeling of serious upgrading, to give up my '13 GS. But, I have an open mind. Time will tell.
Well stated, C6 is a great car for the money. Why all this trash talk with everyone?

Quick Reply: Is the Grand sport option worth it?