C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-05-2015, 06:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Targa Top Creaking, Popping, Squeaking FIXED!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 10:15 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,148 Posts

Originally Posted by Tank34
O rings worked great. But does anyone notice increased wind noise at freeway speeds? Roof is a hair higher now?
Are you saying that you notice more wind noise? I didn't, but then again there's so much other noise: tires, exhaust. Didn't notice any change in the leading edge of the roof either.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:23 PM
custompainter99
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I added the O rings.....worked like a charm..No noise!!
Old 01-22-2018, 02:00 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,486 Likes on 771 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

The best write up I have found..this works; have done it on a number of cars. Our resident Chevy mechanic even uses it in his work day! Do all of the steps and you will solve your woes!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...g-noise-368671
Old 02-02-2018, 09:49 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

I have cleaned and lubed the targa top and added the extra grommets as suggested in the first post of this thread. I adjusted the rear latch and checked the tightness of the pins. Every one of these fixes worked. In fact, I realized that opening and closing the latches works too. First thing in the morning the top is nice and quiet. But after it sits in the sun all day it will make noise again no matter what I do. The next morning it is quiet again. So I quickly realized I was chasing my own tail and really wasn't doing a whole lot that made a difference.

So give it to me straight. Is this ever going to be completely silent? Unless there are any new revelations I'm just going to forget about it and enjoy the car. It's as quiet as a church mouse in the morning and not *so* bad in the afternoon that it drives me crazy (especially with the radio on and the exhaust set to wild). But, if I can make it as quiet as a FRC I am all ears. fwiw my buddy's 2004 T-Bird makes similar noises with the hard top in place, so maybe it's just the nature of these things.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:59 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin Ted
I have cleaned and lubed the targa top and added the extra grommets as suggested in the first post of this thread. I adjusted the rear latch and checked the tightness of the pins. Every one of these fixes worked. In fact, I realized that opening and closing the latches works too. First thing in the morning the top is nice and quiet. But after it sits in the sun all day it will make noise again no matter what I do. The next morning it is quiet again. So I quickly realized I was chasing my own tail and really wasn't doing a whole lot that made a difference.

So give it to me straight. Is this ever going to be completely silent? Unless there are any new revelations I'm just going to forget about it and enjoy the car. It's as quiet as a church mouse in the morning and not *so* bad in the afternoon that it drives me crazy (especially with the radio on and the exhaust set to wild). But, if I can make it as quiet as a FRC I am all ears. fwiw my buddy's 2004 T-Bird makes similar noises with the hard top in place, so maybe it's just the nature of these things.
nope. sitting in the sun and it will creak. Usually goes away in a few minutes of driving.

You are tightening the fasteners with a deep socket or a wrench? That's job one.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:16 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by LowRyter
You are tightening the fasteners with a deep socket or a wrench? That's job one.
Yep. I didn't use a torque wrench, but gently snugged them up. One of the pins was a bit loose. So to be fair things are much better, but not perfect.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 02-02-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:52 PM
NMJoe
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Your situation sounds very much like mine was. The only thing that cured it, even in the hot SW summer sun, was to add a small strip of the fuzzy side of adhesive Velcro to the contact point where the front latches make contact with the windshield frame. It has to be replaced frequently if you take the roof off, but it fixed my problem 100% of the time after trying all of the other tricks.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:28 PM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Originally Posted by NMJoe

Your situation sounds very much like mine was. The only thing that cured it, even in the hot SW summer sun, was to add a small strip of the fuzzy side of adhesive Velcro to the contact point where the front latches make contact with the windshield frame. It has to be replaced frequently if you take the roof off, but it fixed my problem 100% of the time after trying all of the other tricks.
Sounds like it's worth a try. Would you be able to give a little more information on where you applied the fuzzy Velcro? I just took a look and the spot that seemed like the obvious candidate was a pretty small area and was essentially the base that the latch on the top latches on to. Gaskets where everywhere else.

Last edited by CrystalRedTed; 02-02-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:42 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

My top popped and creaked. Lubbed all the weatherstripping no help. When I used dilectric grease on the roller and the metal contact point all noises went away. Totally quiet now.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:53 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Yep. I didn't use a torque wrench, but gently snugged them up. One of the pins was a bit loose. So to be fair things are much better, but not perfect.
it's not a perfect world.

better = good enough
Old 02-04-2018, 10:20 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

it's not a perfect world.

better = good enough
except for us ocd types....
Old 02-04-2018, 02:20 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

except for us ocd types....
from self experience, I find owning a corvette (or a motorcycle) is the cure for OCD.

work on it long enough and you'll welcome hearing a little creak!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The creak

of relief. ...

poetry

Last edited by LowRyter; 02-04-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:58 PM
RobsVett
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1998 c5

Would this also be a fix for my 1998 top.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:15 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

wow, just put the e clips on. So far, so good.

Will have to see after I park it on a sunny day.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:20 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

The e clip really did work. Not a creak since I put them on.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:12 PM
buffgecko
Navigator

Default Thank you!!!

This problem had been driving me absolutely nuts...ever since I first got my car, I've heard these annoying pops and creaks. So ridiculous. I bought the o-rings today and immediately that reduced the problem. I still heard a pop or two, but it may need another ring or finagling.

Thank you so much. The Chevrolet dealers couldn't think of this...I feel like i have a new car again. Thanks
Old 04-02-2018, 10:58 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by buffgecko
This problem had been driving me absolutely nuts...ever since I first got my car, I've heard these annoying pops and creaks. So ridiculous. I bought the o-rings today and immediately that reduced the problem. I still heard a pop or two, but it may need another ring or finagling.

Thank you so much. The Chevrolet dealers couldn't think of this...I feel like i have a new car again. Thanks
I did the same and had the same results.

The e-clips totally fixed the creaks on mine.

Yes, the e-clips work. 6 weeks, top on and off, not a creak.

Last edited by LowRyter; 04-02-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Targa Top Creaking, Popping, Squeaking FIXED!!

Old 04-03-2018, 12:23 AM
buffgecko
Navigator

What is an e-clip? Do I need to add that too? I have a 2012 base coupe.

I did the same and had the same results.

The e-clips totally fixed the creaks on mine.

Yes, the e-clips work. 6 weeks, top on and off, not a creak.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:46 AM
FloridaC6
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Subscribed
Old 04-03-2018, 06:50 AM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I shot some WD-40 into the holes where the pins go. No more noise.

Quick Reply: Targa Top Creaking, Popping, Squeaking FIXED!!