C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Problem (cracking)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by meltn02
Just checked, both tires that are doing it were manufactured at the same time, 48th week of 09. A couple more shots, never had a tire do this before so was pretty shocked how bad they looked. This is the other tire, for some reason the picture was smaller and its harder to see but it is the same. The outer crack looks even worse than it actually is just because it is right along a zigzag in the tread.

had 2 sets that cracked just like that in zig-zag pattern. got over 30,000 miles on each set.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:58 AM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a similar problem for the tire on the Camaro. It is just cosmetic on the Camaro, but is due to driving in cold weather.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ather-use.html
Old 05-11-2013, 01:11 PM
meltn02
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea cold weather might have been a factor, I read a few places that cited that as a possible cause. I am glad they made an effort to cover a good part of the tires, figured I was out te whole price since I didn't even know an actual install date, or any details really.

I plan on ordering some cup wheels to get mounted along with them now
Old 05-12-2013, 11:08 AM
meltn02
Instructor

The total cost after tax disposal and whatever other fees they charge is close to $300, the rears have 6/32 so are still in good shape. The stock supercars ride pretty rough but they are all I have had on both of the c6's I have owned, would it be worth it to just put that $300 toward a completely new set?

The car is not a DD and I don't track it or anything. If I did go with a different set they would probably not be runflats.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:32 AM
richietables
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the $300 new fronts on for now, you'll never get a deal like that again... New tires ride better for a while anyhow. Get some use out of the rears. Save your money for a new set in a year or two and you can research what you'd like to try at that point. When your present rears are shot you can pull the trigger.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:17 PM
meltn02
Instructor

Yea that was my thinking, rears are too good to just throw away and it is a great deal on the fronts.

Quick Reply: Tire Problem (cracking)