C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Scissors
Facts, facts and more facts.
Excellent post on the subject (I didn't want to quote the entire long post, but figured the above pretty much sums it up).

And yet there are still people who will ignore the facts, argue with you because you haven't used it yourself, or just simply don't want to listen to science and facts because it conflicts with their beliefs.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:38 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Another reason to have nitrogen bottle is that when you go to the track you have a source of air to operate air tools. It cost about $35 to fill a big bottle.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by timd38
Another reason to have nitrogen bottle is that when you go to the track you have a source of air to operate air tools. It cost about $35 to fill a big bottle.
Any kind of compressed gas bottle is a bad choice for that as it won't last very long. For filling tires when four wheeling and using air tools we use this:

It's small, filled with liquid CO2 which lasts forever when it's turned into gas and bottle fill costs $10 or so.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 PM
dndrsn
Melting Slicks

Received 79 Likes on 36 Posts

I put Nitrogen on my lawn. It works!
Old 07-02-2013, 03:25 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dndrsn
I put Nitrogen on my lawn. It works!

I did notice that your lawn is cooler and isn't leaking
Old 07-02-2013, 04:00 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Globeman
I'm not a naysayer. I've had nitrogen in a few cars (not C6) when I bought tires at Costco. My perception is the tires seem to hold the correct pressure much longer than when they just have air inflation. The only negative I can see, since there is no added cost involved, is Costco puts green caps on the valve stems - They are Butt Ugly but easily changed.
Right on!

Maybe its the moderate temperature here, tires with Nitrogen filled are almost maintenance free - twice a year, at the most.

On my other car and motorcycle, monthly topped off with compressed air.

Yea, Costco here is great and they let me do my own refills.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by victorf
Right on!

Maybe its the moderate temperature here, tires with Nitrogen filled are almost maintenance free - twice a year, at the most.
Tires filled with dry air are about equally "maintenance-free" when you live in an area with temperatures that fluctuate minimally, with a difference of only ~0.2 PSI additional loss per month.

Try living somewhere with seasons and you'll need to drop or increase the cold tire inflation pressure every month or so even if you use nitrogen because the temperature changes have the exact same effect.

Even if you lose all of the ~21% that isn't nitrogen, and then refill with dry air, the result is a mixture in your tire which is 95.6% nitrogen. This point is hit after a total loss of about 10 PSI over time, without ever having done a nitrogen fill.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:24 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I got no problem at all spending 5 minutes a month adding 2-3#'s of air in each tire. BFD.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:16 AM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Doesn't look like many minds are going to change here!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:33 PM
victorf
Drifting

Doesn't look like many minds are going to change here!
Tim, people everywhere are the same, like to talk, all think they've got the right answer - right or wrong - whether they have actual experience or not.

I do like one thing you said to me once "lets agree on being disagree".

Old 07-05-2013, 07:44 AM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by victorf
Tim, people everywhere are the same, like to talk, all think they've got the right answer - right or wrong - whether they have actual experience or not.

I do like one thing you said to me once "lets agree on being disagree".

I guess I could agree with both sides on this. Would I pay to have nitrogen put in my tires, no, but I do put in because I have a bottle in my garage that I take the track. My last bottle lasted 10 years before I had to have it filled.

Back in the 90's my daughters raced karts and I needed a source of air for the air tools and that is what got me started on it and I just keep refilling the bottle.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Steve Zaino
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many people have ever heard this from a mechanic:

"...now if you had only used Nitrogen, this wouldn't cost you so much money to fix..."
Old 07-05-2013, 04:57 PM
victorf
Drifting

I guess I could agree with both sides on this. Would I pay to have nitrogen put in my tires, no, but I do put in because I have a bottle in my garage that I take the track. My last bottle lasted 10 years before I had to have it filled.

Back in the 90's my daughters raced karts and I needed a source of air for the air tools and that is what got me started on it and I just keep refilling the bottle.
If I had to go out of my way to get Nitrogen, well...

But Costco is less than a mile from my house and free.

And after several years of dependable result, consistent repeated side by side comparison with compressed air fills, Nitrogen is without a doubt.

I asked Costco if they would charge up my spare tank w/Nitrogen, that, they would not. I am too cheap to buy Nitrogen for conversion. My other car use non stock sized tires and Costco will not sell/install non stock sized or motorcycle tires, so I couldn't get away from more maintenance with my other car and motorcycle.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:08 PM
Joe1968ny
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No moisture and minimal thermal expansion. If you have access to it no reason not to use it. Most aircraft tires use it for just those two reasons.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:53 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Once again I will add to what Vic has stated....If Nitrogen is close, handy, free and convenient....go for it.....If it it is not close, not handy, not free and not convenient...then don't use it....but one always has the personal choice to go for it...and everyone certainly can have their opinion... it does no harm....so users go for it....non users peace.......but I will admit there are some pretty savy posts on the subject....and even some good chemistry lessions......BUT IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO PERSONAL PREFERENCE....and that my friends will not change too many minds.....
Old 07-05-2013, 06:56 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Air has been working fine in tires for over 100 years so I'll stick with that.
It's free and I have never had a problem with it.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Joe1968ny
No moisture and minimal thermal expansion. If you have access to it no reason not to use it. Most aircraft tires use it for just those two reasons.
False.

Aircraft with braked tires use nitrogen because an FAA Airworthiness Directive says to use it. That directive was enacted because during certain very-high-heat situations (which virtually no automobile will ever encounter) the oxygen reacts with volatile gases given off by the overheated tire, resulting in a fire.

But, then, what do Boeing and the FAA know?
Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good point scissors....and I like your thought process.....but again I will defer to my post #55....no harm and no foul

Quick Reply: Nitrogen?