C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run Flat vs regular Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:38 AM
Rebel 1
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
Ruger 357 Magnum in my vette......
GP100 here
Old 01-10-2014, 02:35 AM
TRUOMEGA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also depends on where you live. If you drive on roads similar to NY roads... Start looking for rims now cause runflats will cause your rim to bend. The sidewalls on a runflats do not flex hence any pothole you hit will transfer the shock of the impact from the tread right down to the lip of the rim and bend it out of shape (happened to me twice already). Non run flat tires will flex and the sidewall will absorb the majority of the impact before it reaches the rim hence no damage. For the same reason, this is why your non run flat tires give you a smoother ride.
Just buy
slime with built in tire inflation slime with built in tire inflation
(fills the tire with a sealant and adds air at the same time) and you'll be on your way within minutes. This product also claims that its sensor safe so take that with a grain of salt. Never had to use it but short of your tire being shredded, it should work just fine.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:30 AM
06C6REDVETTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
GP100 here
DE 1911
Old 01-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Howdy Abasin
Cruising

Originally Posted by rcallen484
There are times run flats make life easier...

Very well put
Old 01-13-2014, 03:27 PM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the Ruger SP101 357 mag will always be with me in the car, don't know for certain if RFs will be when it's time to change tires.

But this does weigh pretty heavily on my mind: I'm one of those that used to say that I've never had a massive tire failure while driving and the slow leaks I've had were easily repairable once home. However, about 3 years ago and with non-RFs on my car, I was rushing my daughter to the hospital at 2:00 a.m. after she went into premature labor - I hit something in the road and started losing air quickly - we barely made it to the emergency room before the tire was completely flat. It made me think a little more about the need for RF tires on these cars. I'm still not 100% certain, but I'm sure leaning toward getting RFs again.

However, I do believe that the GY RFs currently on my car are the most god-awful tires I've ever had on a car - I will not be replacing with GY!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Originally Posted by at7000ft
Goodyear has given runflats a bad reputation. The Michelin runflats (and probably others that I have not tried) are much more like non-runflats.

The Michelin runflats are quiet and soft riding. That being the case, why not run them?
Old 01-13-2014, 05:55 PM
harmonyp
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by BillH2121
I know the Ruger SP101 357 mag will always be with me in the car, don't know for certain if RFs will be when it's time to change tires.

But this does weigh pretty heavily on my mind: I'm one of those that used to say that I've never had a massive tire failure while driving and the slow leaks I've had were easily repairable once home. However, about 3 years ago and with non-RFs on my car, I was rushing my daughter to the hospital at 2:00 a.m. after she went into premature labor - I hit something in the road and started losing air quickly - we barely made it to the emergency room before the tire was completely flat. It made me think a little more about the need for RF tires on these cars. I'm still not 100% certain, but I'm sure leaning toward getting RFs again.

However, I do believe that the GY RFs currently on my car are the most god-awful tires I've ever had on a car - I will not be replacing with GY!
I LOVE my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires! New GY runflats are laying in garage in plastic bags.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:49 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,374 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by TRUOMEGA
Also depends on where you live. If you drive on roads similar to NY roads... Start looking for rims now cause runflats will cause your rim to bend. The sidewalls on a runflats do not flex hence any pothole you hit will transfer the shock of the impact from the tread right down to the lip of the rim and bend it out of shape (happened to me twice already). Non run flat tires will flex and the sidewall will absorb the majority of the impact before it reaches the rim hence no damage. For the same reason, this is why your non run flat tires give you a smoother ride.

That's interesting, we've been running various runflats on our Corvettes for 12 yrs/150k+ miles, hit our share of potholes and road debris but never bent a rim.

How many others have bent a rim, with either type of tire?
Looking for data for a comparison...
Old 01-13-2014, 10:21 PM
80atez
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

i know of no data to support rf's causing rim damage, low air in a nonrf will though, no doubt... I have decent proof in my experience on track with g meter and timing that RF's are every bit as fast around a track as non. have not tried same rubber with and without though. So we're really just talking about feel and cost. Many people prefer softer rides, many prefer harder. I like nonRF feel, but on a long trip cannot say enough for RF. I blew 2 tires on my wifes bmw with RF's on one long trip. Saved our trip having RF's.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:17 AM
TRUOMEGA
Instructor

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
That's interesting, we've been running various runflats on our Corvettes for 12 yrs/150k+ miles, hit our share of potholes and road debris but never bent a rim.

It happened to me on 2 separate occasions. Once on the Long Island Expressway (I495) i hit a pothole which tore a part off the lip on my front passenger side rim and the rear tire was bent to the point where it wouldn't hold air anymore so i had to buy new (used OEM rims) which took well over 2 weeks to find/get. About a month later i hit another pothole while driving on the van Wyke expressway. My front drivers side tire took the brunt and bent the rim (which is noticeable) but the tire still held air so i just had the wheel rebalanced.
I since replaced my tires with non run flats as well as purchased a new set of rims to have on hand just in case but since the non runflats were installed, i haven't had any issues with damaged rims and iv hit potholes that were comparable to the ones that i initially ran over.
I never had much luck when it comes to car tires but iv never damaged a rim to the point where the lip of the rim broke off. Go figure.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:25 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 126 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Very familiar with the LI Distressway did you ever put in a claim the NY DOT or whatever agency is responsible for the road to get paid for your damage. They are responsible, that's why we pay taxes.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:10 AM
TRUOMEGA
Instructor

Originally Posted by MKenM
Very familiar with the LI Distressway did you ever put in a claim the NY DOT or whatever agency is responsible for the road to get paid for your damage. They are responsible, that's why we pay taxes.
yeah right! The city is gonna pay me? My friend ran into the same scenario where he pursued the claim. Based on what happened to him... I will need 2 other motorist that have claimed damage from that particular pothole before they even go ahead with a claim to refund me. Assuming there were 2 others who complained and they find in my favor, they will take there sweet time (well over a year) before i see a dime.
I opted to take the easy yet less frustrating route and replace the rim myself. I did call my insurance company but they said it will increase my premium if i put in for a claim so obviously, i oped not to do that. Thank goodness nothing else was damaged though (control arm, shocks, bushings, etc...).
Old 01-18-2014, 10:28 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Run flats with my 08, got ran off the road hit a pothole, damaged both right rims that still held air. I like non runflats better in the cold, 5F. In those temps runflats are like Flinstone wheels on bumps.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:50 AM
Outlaw7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought an 05 SSR which, like the Corvette, has no spare. Chevrolet does not put run flats on this car/truck. There's a compartment behind the driver's seat that has a 12 volt compressor and a can of "fix a flat". The tire sizes are 255x19 front and 295x20 rear, so there may not be a run flat available - I haven't checked because the vehicle has a brand new set of Continentals.

BTW, I had Firestone run flats on the 08 I just sold and have Michelin run flats on my 2010 Z51 convertible.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:29 AM
jwrichter
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Getting my tire repair kit ready and notice that "Slime" says in their propaganda that not to use if you have chrome wheels. So is there an alternative??
Old 01-24-2014, 09:19 AM
JohnsC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had non RF on my 98 Vette for 10 years with no flats. Sold it last summer and bought a 13 GS and within 500 miles had a blowout in the middle of the desert. Was able to limp into a gas station several miles down the road. Somehow whatever I ran over sliced the tire. They were able to patch it temporarily so I could get it home. Good news was GY replaced it under the one year warranty for new vettes. Got about 6,000 miles on them now so starting to think about what to replace them with. After my blowout experience think I will stick with RF. Sounds like the Bridgestone or Firestones RF are popular.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:46 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jwrichter
Getting my tire repair kit ready and notice that "Slime" says in their propaganda that not to use if you have chrome wheels. So is there an alternative??
This is from the Australian web site.

http://slime.com.au/i-have-chromed-w...n-i-use-slime/

I think the main problem is that people leave slime in there as the permanent repair and that will probably cause issues on any aluminum wheel eventually.

Salt/sand should be a bigger concern with chrome wheels. I wouldn't use slime for slow leak and I'll try to plug it first if it is a fast leak.

Quick Reply: Run Flat vs regular Tires