C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car locked, battery dead HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:39 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default car locked, battery dead HELP

Need some help guys!!! My 2010 Grand Sport is locked, battery dead and the key will not release the rear hatch. The owners manual, is of course, locked in the car. However I did leave the hood released as I'm always tinkering with the engine compartment. I have hooked a battery charger to the positive fuse box post and the engine block. The charger has been on for six hours and the key fob still won't unlock the doors or rear hatch. I really need to get the rear hatch open to get to the battery. Does any one know how to get it open?
Old 12-22-2013, 07:49 PM
cole3
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

battery should be good by now, might try changing fob battery. that's odd that the key won't open the hatch though.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Yeah I know , the key turns and I can hear a noise like maybe it unlocked but the hatch won't pop up and I can't pull it up. I tried both key fobs and neither work. Is the way I have the charger hooked up a viable way of charging the battery under these circumstances
Old 12-22-2013, 08:10 PM
cole3
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

might try a jumper instead of a trickle but it should work either way unless the battery is toast.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:12 PM
arp35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Connect the battery charger directly to the battery. It will not work connected to the fuse box.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:19 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Thanks on the hook up question. I guess I'll leave the charger on it overnight and see what happens. The car is pulled into the garage so I can't get another vehicle close enough to jump it. I guess Ill have to take the battery out of my truck and sit it by the Vette to hook the cables up to jump start it. How would any one get this problem resolved if their hood wasn't popped like mine? Is there something wrong with my key unlocking the hatch? Does the battery have to be charged for the key to unlock it?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:19 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Hopefully you tried both keys. You might get lucky. I've seen posts where the mechanism that operates that key becomes disconnected or dirty.

At this point, as long as the hood is open wait to see if she'll take the charge.

Just something I do when I work on the car myself or take it to the dealer is to always put down the driver side window.
Second, you need to find out why that key won't work. I have the opening covered with tape to keep dirt out.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by arp35
Connect the battery charger directly to the battery. It will not work connected to the fuse box.
This is incorrect.

The key should open the hatch as it's a simple mechanical latch and doesn't need any power.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:22 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

arp35 ......... Why won't the charger work through the fuse box connection?
Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Let me try the key again
Old 12-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Try pushing down on the hatch while turning the key. Just a thought, to take any excessive pressure off the latch.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:29 PM
arp35
Instructor

Originally Posted by BillyTz06
arp35 ......... Why won't the charger work through the fuse box connection?
I had the same experience as you and left the charger connected to the fuse box as the instructions state for jump starting the car. After a few hours of nothing, I connected the positive and negative directly to the battery and it opened the doors immediately. And yea, I know the key in the back is mechanical. Sorry if you misunderstood what I was trying to say about the battery charging. I also have my battery tender cables connected directly to the battery.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:38 PM
BillyTz06
Racer

Ah ha, sweet success is on the horizon. I just got the hatch open with the key. I was concerned that the key would break off in the lock from turning it so hard, then it popped open. I switched the charger to the battery and the lights came on right away and the charger seems to be charging properly according to the charger display. I won't ever let the battery get this discharged again. Thanks for all the help. This forum rocks!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 08:41 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Old 12-22-2013, 08:44 PM
arp35
Instructor

Originally Posted by BillyTz06
Ah ha, sweet success is on the horizon. I just got the hatch open with the key. I was concerned that the key would break off in the lock from turning it so hard, then it popped open. I switched the charger to the battery and the lights came on right away and the charger seems to be charging properly according to the charger display. I won't ever let the battery get this discharged again. Thanks for all the help. This forum rocks!!!
Great news... Time for a battery tender. Sears has a nice one that I use and is nicer than the true battery tender. It has all of the same type of connectors with a cool scrolling led display. I also have a battery tender Jr. Connected to a riding lawnmower. The Sears charger tells you the percentage of charge on the battery. My vette will discharge about 5% a day if left disconnected.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

My vette will discharge about 5% a day if left disconnected.
You have a problem that should be fixed instead of treating the symptom with a battery tender. Just sayin.'
Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 PM
arp35
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve_R
You have a problem that should be fixed instead of treating the symptom with a battery tender. Just sayin.'
Battery drain is a common problem for the C6. Just do a search in the C6 forum for "battery drain" or "dead battery" and you will see over a hundred threads. The vette and any highly technical car will draw enough power with the car off to eventually drain a battery. The computers and etc. are always "on".

Get notified of new replies

To car locked, battery dead HELP

Old 12-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Battery drain is a common problem for the C6. Just do a search in the C6 forum for "battery drain" or "dead battery" and you will see over a hundred threads. The vette and any highly technical car will draw enough power with the car off to eventually drain a battery. The computers and etc. are always "on".
Thanks, but I don't need to search. Mine had a battery drain problem when it was new. The OP, who I know well (I'm the second owner), didn't buy GM's BS excuse that it's normal and he needed a battery tender. Long story, but he made them find and fix the problem. I can let it sit for a month or more without starting it and no battery tender and the battery is still charged.

Yeah, any car will eventually drain the battery, but 5% per day is not normal; it's a problem that should be traced and fixed.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:50 PM
arp35
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Thanks, but I don't need to search. Mine had a battery drain problem when it was new. The OP, who I know well (I'm the second owner), didn't buy GM's BS excuse that it's normal and he needed a battery tender. Long story, but he made them find and fix the problem. I can let it sit for a month or more without starting it and no battery tender and the battery is still charged. Yeah, any car will eventually drain the battery, but 5% per day is not normal; it's a problem that should be traced and fixed.
Congrats for being one of the few without the issue. I'm also glad you know the original poster (OP) well...lol.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Congrats for being one of the few without the issue. I'm also glad you know the original poster (OP) well...lol.
Oops, I meant the original owner of my car, not the OP of the thread.

I just hate seeing so many Vette owners accept GM's lame excuse that severe battery drain is normal and should be masked with a battery tender instead of admitting there's a problem with some cars that they should fix. My experience proves that's the case.

Quick Reply: car locked, battery dead HELP