C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using "leave-in" jacking pucks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 05:56 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I had the Elite Eng ones installed for years. I put a dab of silicon on them before I locked them in and they stay put. I like them always there so if someone jacks them up, they see them and use them and I don't have to worry about forgetting to put them on.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:03 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Nobody but me has jacked mine up since I've owned it. I would never let a tire shop do it. When I replaced the tires I put it on jack stands in my garage and took the tires and wheels to a tire place.

I guess that's probably why I don't see the advantage of them. YMMV.
What about warranty repairs? Or vandalized tires on a trip away from home?

Not looking to start an argument here. But this is no cheap joke:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ng-damage.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...el-damage.html
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...age-story.html

Over the years I've seen a number of these reports. It's a C5 problem too.

Not every owner is fanatical about their Corvette. Some folks never look under their car. They might never see a damaged rocker until they try to sell -- and a potential buyer does an inspection.

And it's easy for a service guy to deny responsibility if the rockers aren't inspected before and after service.

Even if you can prove a dealer is at fault, it's still a headache getting it fixed.

IMO the leave-in-place pucks are insurance. Buy 'em -- or take your chances.

Last edited by CO Lightfoot; 03-21-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:54 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Unless your jacking your car up every weekend, I see no point in these. I keep my pucks in the hatch cubby. I jack my car up only 1-2 times a year
Old 03-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Unless your jacking your car up every weekend, I see no point in these. I keep my pucks in the hatch cubby. I jack my car up only 1-2 times a year
I noticed you said you do the tire work but don't you EVER take it to somebody else to mount new tires and balance ? What if its not tire work, just normal service that requires the car to go up on a lift ?

What happens if you get distracted or interrupted and you forget to put them in that one time you use a tire shop ??

Thats why I used GOOP to secure mine, its semi permanent. Even if the tire shop didn't want to use them, they have no choice except to pry them off which I can't imagine them doing, (liability).

Last edited by Steve-O; 03-21-2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:24 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by Steve-O
I can't imagine why you would want the pucks to be removable, they don't get in the way and it would be easy to forget to tell the tire place that you have pucks or remember to put them in yourself.

The forgotten pucks could result in thousands of dollars of damage to the underside of our cars. Why not put them in semi-permanently? Goof proofed.

I have used since 2000, std hockey pucks, costs about $2 each, new. I use an adhesive called GOOP from Home Depot. It holds like iron my if you need to remove them you can use a fishing line to saw them away from the adhesive or simply use a screwdriver to pry them loose.

2000 C5 ,4 pucks stayed on for 4 years, 2004 C5,4 pucks stayed on for 8 years, current C6, 4 pucks have been on 2 years and aren going anywhere.

I love corvettemods but why pay anything over $8 for new pucks or free from your hockey friends and $0.50 worth of GOOP to protect yourself even if you forget to use them ?
Steve, did you put any hardware on them to engage the hole in the frame, or are they just glued on?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Have y'all ever heard of an instance where the car had the pucks in place and some shop still managed to damage the rocker panels? It seems like there's still room for error.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Why leave them in place? Just something else to get caught on something and rip out. I keep mine in the storage box in the trunk.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:12 PM
GM TECH
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not leave them in place? Put mine in the week I took delivery on my 2013 Grand Sport and they are still there after nine months and 3800 miles. Can't image them being "caught on something and rip out" unless a lot of other undercarriage items get damaged also. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Cheers - Major Boyd
Old 03-24-2014, 06:34 PM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Had my jacking pucks in 4 yrs. now, they work great!!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:38 PM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Got mine from Corvette Mods,no problems
Old 03-24-2014, 07:23 PM
Steve-O
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need-for-speed,

You asked,"did you put any hardware on them to engage the hole in the frame, or are they just glued on?"

To answer your question, I did NOT use a bolt through the center of the puck, Im sure it wouldn't hurt but as I as I said I used GOOP, and only 2-3 tylenol size drops on each puck. I did try to stack some material under the puck so the puck could make full contact but after 24 hours, the pucks were secure, I couldn't pull them off by hand.

The pucks I put on my 04 C5 were still there when I sold it in 2012. Im a big user of GOOP, it hasn't failed me yet and whatever you secure can be separated if you don't overdo it with the GOOP.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruffian5
I have had them for 3-4 months now. Got them from Corvette Mods. No problems with them slipping out. They seem pretty secure. They fit a bit loose and can easily spin around, but I don't think they would come out easily.
Any problems with them rattling and causing noise seeing as how they fit loose?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Tony 327
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I read about rattling here on the forum. Got mine from Corvette Mods also. I drilled some weep holes through them and ran a bead of black RTV around the rim before I popped them in. Probably a totally unnecessary process, but they do not rattle.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:00 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

If I need them for something I'm not doing in my garage I just take them with me. Simple and I don't have to worry about losing one or two and finding out when I most need them.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:18 PM
Ruffian5
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 05LemansBLue

Any problems with them rattling and causing noise seeing as how they fit loose?
No. Even with windows down and no music, they don't rattle. At most, they spin around on there axis. But since reading this thread, I decided to add some goop to better secure them in place. But not because of rattle, just for my piece of mind.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet

Originally Posted by Steve-O
Need-for-speed,

You asked,"did you put any hardware on them to engage the hole in the frame, or are they just glued on?"

To answer your question, I did NOT use a bolt through the center of the puck, Im sure it wouldn't hurt but as I as I said I used GOOP, and only 2-3 tylenol size drops on each puck. I did try to stack some material under the puck so the puck could make full contact but after 24 hours, the pucks were secure, I couldn't pull them off by hand.

The pucks I put on my 04 C5 were still there when I sold it in 2012. Im a big user of GOOP, it hasn't failed me yet and whatever you secure can be separated if you don't overdo it with the GOOP.
Thanks Steve o
Old 03-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Lusky
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put 3m double sided tape then popped mine into place so they don't move around.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone using "leave-in" jacking pucks?

Old 03-25-2014, 10:51 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Nobody but me has jacked mine up since I've owned it. I would never let a tire shop do it. When I replaced the tires I put it on jack stands in my garage and took the tires and wheels to a tire place.

I guess that's probably why I don't see the advantage of them. YMMV.
I would and have done the same thing as far as taking the wheel off (or all of them) at home. As far as the pucks, I've had the BMW's in one of my C5's and have had the same set in my 07 since new.....you NEVER know when you might have to have it jacked or lifted. They don't get in the way, you can't see them so they work for me. Mine are in tight, no rattles...
Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 547 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by su8pack1
Why leave them in place? Just something else to get caught on something and rip out. I keep mine in the storage box in the trunk.
If they do get caught on something...you have a much larger problem than the pucks, much larger.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:25 PM
BROCKYJACK
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Ok..so now you guys have me worried. I bought a 2011GS in January and last month had Discount tie install 4 new Michelin PSS tires. I watched them do everything. the put do jacks on each side of car and two guys working in sync slowly raised it and lowered same way when done. I just went and looked under the car and see no damage, doors work smoothly etc. Are C6 frames so damn weak we have to worry about the car being lifted or what is the deal? I have no pucks but now wonder if I should get them and why specifically. Would seem factory would have something like that on the car if there was an issue. help me understand this.

Quick Reply: Anyone using "leave-in" jacking pucks?