C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it true you will get more money selling a convertible in the summer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 07:23 PM
IceMezzer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is it true you will get more money selling a convertible in the summer?

Is it true you will get more money selling a convertible in the summer or is that just a myth? I know the demand might be higher, but does its blue book value really go up? I am selling my 2006 DSOM 3LT convertible...

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:30 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,764 Likes on 3,178 Posts

like the gas monkey says.... AS THE TOP GOES DOWN THE PRICE GOES UP!

So i assume that is a true assessment.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:32 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Maybe. More eyeballs looking for vert. Thus ,more potential buyers, plus a time of year to use it. Which would you rather have 10 potentials, or 1,000? It only takes one. In the land of cold call and selling, numbers count. 1 in 10, or 1 out of 1,000 potentials. I know which one I'd rather go for/with.

As to price, stronger time to sell, more potential buyers, to me equals potential of higher sale price. Others may disagree. But I've been there. To confirm, talk to auction goers, and indie dealers.

Your car may go for less tho because you are waiting one model year later until next spring, mentally for those who are buying.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:25 PM
M Kurz
Instructor

Default Selling a convertible

The best time is late spring, [ in a 4 season climate area ] just as the temperature nears 70 degrees.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Arthur6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Value goes down every day - month - year
winter - spring - summer or fall
Old 10-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes - vert prices go higher as demand increases in Spring - and likewise prices drop into the Fall. But then all vette prices rise & fall with the weather - due to how much immediate enjoyment the buyer can enjoy in the warmer weather.
Not the best time to be selling - but there is always someone out there looking.
Price you get will depend on how badly you want it gone.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:19 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by IceMezzer
Is it true you will get more money selling a convertible in the summer or is that just a myth? I know the demand might be higher, but does its blue book value really go up? I am selling my 2006 DSOM 3LT convertible...
Thanks!
Nah, especially in NY...advertise that sucker in mid Feb and the price will be at the top of the curve.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:38 PM
IceMezzer
Racer

Thanks for all the replies! I have it listed now, If I cant get what I want ill wait until spring... I have my C7 coming next week.. I will miss my C6.. She is a great car.. Just no room in the garage for both...
Old 10-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

When I lived up north, my mind was always proccupied with stocking up on firewood, food and gas (for the generator) moreso than my car. Been through too many ice storms.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:05 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I'm assuming you're selling because the dealer wouldn't give you fair value for trade-in?
Old 10-13-2014, 12:16 AM
IceMezzer
Racer

Originally Posted by owc6
I'm assuming you're selling because the dealer wouldn't give you fair value for trade-in?
Well.. The dealer I am buying from is a 5 hour drive from here.. And he cant even give me a ball park without seeing the car.. So I cant see driving 5 hours and getting a low ball offer. We are picking up the Stingway next weekend, so im going to rent a car drive up there then drive the c7 back.. I just cant see putting 300 miles on the car each way without any ballpark.. I told him the car was pristine, sent him 40 hi-res pics... But still nothing..
Old 10-13-2014, 02:29 AM
Entaille
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I had a 2008 sti before my corvette, the vette I found was a good 4 hour drive away in Oregon. I made it very clear that I would not even consider coming to see the vette unless they could come near what I wanted for trade in value. I gave them all of the details and information they needed to make a good estimate/ballpark on the value, understandably, subject to change if the car was in different condition as described. the price we agreed upon did not change, the car met what I told them (and then some, probably..) I didn't even give them photos.

I understand the reluctance to throw a number out there at a car without seeing it in person, but given the circumstances, they have to give you *something*. you just have to be reasonable that it isn't a concrete number. if they can't do you that much, they don't really deserve your business, imo. I would call and ask to speak with a manager and explain the situation to see if you can get a soft-number.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:10 AM
Arthur6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any real dealer can & will give you a number over the phone. They go off book value.
Book value will be lower next month and every month, even lower next summer.
Book value is what lenders use to loan against, it doesn't matter if it a convertible or whatever. What lenders are willing to lend pretty much determents the market - and or the other way around, either way your car will be worth less the longer you wait.
Three's a slim chance in hell you can sell your car for more than a dealer can, a dealer can offer financing and a warranty.
Also - DO NOT BUY AN EXTENDED WARRANTY for your new car. I worked in several dealerships, warranty is BIG money for the dealer, they wouldn't sell & make money if it was a "value".
My 2 ¢
Old 10-13-2014, 10:16 AM
JakeC6Racing
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live on Long Island. Basically the price of any rwd sports car increases and decreases with the seasons. It's clockwork
Old 10-13-2014, 01:36 PM
mickey5
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Any dealer can look up Manheim auction prices for the last month and come close to what a particular vehicle will bring based on condition and mileage. OPs dealer doesn't sound like the kind of operation that's customer friendly.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Stickshiftsteve
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The time to negotiate your trade-in was before you signed on the dotted line. No need for you to be concerned with this dealer's offer any more. He's making the excuse of having to see it just so he can buy at your lowest price. He knows you would be reluctant to drive it all the way back home. You'd probably get much the same price now - from your local dealer.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:57 PM
Judgebull
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 85 Posts

YES... Here in Indiana the prices definitely rise and fall with the seasons...
Old 10-13-2014, 10:15 PM
IceMezzer
Racer

Thank you for everyone's advise.. I have it listed on EBay now.. I guess well see what kind of offers I get...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Co.../181556191365?

Get notified of new replies

To Is it true you will get more money selling a convertible in the summer?

Quick Reply: Is it true you will get more money selling a convertible in the summer?