C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 02:10 AM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by CSixDude
I'd question them on the amount. Nothing in the letter or form says there is a limit on what they'll reimburse or that they'll only reimburse for a portion of the repair. If the repair cost $3K, then you have a right to ask for the whole $3k back.
You are correct that nothing in the letter says anything about a limit or amount of reimbursement. However, the actual bulletin GWM Number 2015682 lists the parts that are covered under the extended warranty. In my case the driver's side fuel tank was replaced as well as the fuel pump and some other small parts. Unfortunately the tank ($1000) is NOT covered, nor are some of the other parts that were replaced on mine. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

By the way, on the reimbursement form I did ask for the entire $3000.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:31 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

I had my pass side tank and fuel pump done about 6-8 mos ago. GM covered all but $700. I felt with veh out of warranty that wasn't too bad. About a week ago it started smelling again. This time it was the drivers side. Repaired and covered 100%. Hopefully done with the fuel leak problem.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:52 PM
obone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been told that my check is for only $1300. It's in the mail to me. My cost was over $2500.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:34 PM
icanski2
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I wonder if they will install a ZR1 fuel pump if I pay the difference. I about to install F.I. and could use a bit more pump.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:56 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by icanski2
I wonder if they will install a ZR1 fuel pump if I pay the difference. I about to install F.I. and could use a bit more pump.
Does your car have the fuel leak now?
Old 09-06-2016, 05:31 PM
icanski2
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by unclecookie
Does your car have the fuel leak now?
Yes, It has for years.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:33 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 310 Posts

Took my 08 in today for the gas leak fix. They thought they had all the parts. Well apparently GM has gone with a new vendor for fuel pump module and there arent any available yet might be a month or more. I could have them put on the old design which is part of the problem. Ill wait. At least there is a redesigned part not just replacing a defective part with a new defective part like they do with the dashboards on the 07-14 trucks and full size SUVs and GM refuses to fix
Old 09-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Davidj2
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good info. I took my 2008 to get repaired 3 weeks ago, and they have no parts yet. I'm glad to hear it is because of a new design. I don't mind waiting now. Nice thing is they gave me a new suv to drive.
Old 09-08-2016, 02:42 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 310 Posts

I have my car since they didnt dismantle it I am driving it and I enjoy that. I was concerned that I may exceed the mileage before the part comes in Im ok since it was brought in before the extended warranty expires
Old 09-08-2016, 04:41 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yep
My dealer came up with 3 part numbers for repair .
On on back order .
Old 09-08-2016, 05:32 PM
stormin1976
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I brought my 2016 Tahoe in for some warranty work today and while I was there... I asked about this fuel smell/leak extended warranty/repair..and of course... none of the service writers have EVER heard of this.
I asked one of them to run my vin and low and behold.. one says to the other.... "hey...he's right! There is something on this!"
So they confirmed my car is covered and is covered until sept of 2018... so I am not sure i'll bring it in now.. or maybe wait until the spring as it already sounds like they are backordered or behind on getting parts anyways.

I only noticed the smell periodically.. for the longest time.. I thought It was from my other pro street car in the garage.. but.. that was definitely not where it was coming from .

thanks all for reading and listening.
i'll post an update after the work is done.

I'm also wondering.. if anybody in the Toronto or gta area... could recommend the top dealer to bring my car too. Someone that is most familiar with doing this repair properly.

take care
NB
Old 09-08-2016, 07:50 PM
Coolness
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 5 Posts

All,

Just to pass along my progress on this issue. I have my '08 at Chevrolet right now. They are repairing per the service letter sent. I have had no issue and it appears all will be covered by the SIL. I was experiencing the gas smell after refill, also took a picture of the leaks on the top of the pump. Additionally, would get the "Service Fuel System" note and have my fuel gauge go to zero, then work again after getting to a little over 1/2 tank. This is a serious issue, sign up with the NTSB, Chevy is stepping up and fixing and it's good to see. I had previously been quoted $5700 to fix this by a local dealer. Shameful!
Old 09-10-2016, 04:08 AM
alangordon
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default gm fuel leak

I just received the bulletin on the fuel leak on my 08 corvette.my mechanic had to change the gas tank with the fuel pump and sending unit.charged me 1537.00 dollars.gm said it is the fuel tank pump module that had to be changed.all i know is that there are people on this forum that have spent over 2000.00 dollars at there dealships to resolve this problem.i did this repair in apr of 2014.i sent gm the bill and they wont reimburse me for any part of this bill.i spent a whole day going back and forth with the dealership and gm.maybe they have to lose another two generations to foreign cars before they get it.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:27 AM
cowboytim
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolness
All,

Just to pass along my progress on this issue. I have my '08 at Chevrolet right now. They are repairing per the service letter sent. I have had no issue and it appears all will be covered by the SIL. I was experiencing the gas smell after refill, also took a picture of the leaks on the top of the pump. Additionally, would get the "Service Fuel System" note and have my fuel gauge go to zero, then work again after getting to a little over 1/2 tank. This is a serious issue, sign up with the NTSB, Chevy is stepping up and fixing and it's good to see. I had previously been quoted $5700 to fix this by a local dealer. Shameful!
I just bought my first Corvette last Sunday over the labor day weekend. A 2011 base model. Filled it full of fuel Wed. night. I got the "Service Fuel System" light and "Low Fuel". Next day took it in to dealer with a gas smell to boot. Service guy said he had six Corvettes in presently with the same problem. Told me it might be a while before I got the "New" designed pump...Go in Friday and he says that so and so paper work went through, part will be in next Wed., I can have car on Thur. NO CHARGE.
I just hope I'm getting "New Designed" pump. He said GM was fixing on a Case by Case basis. No full recall yet.
IS ANYONE ELES GETTING THE "NEW" PUMP SOON AS I AM?
I want to make sure I'm getting the "New" one not the "Old" one.
Thanks guys!
Old 09-11-2016, 12:18 AM
Teabrook
Cruising

I am in Australia and have this problem. I doubt I would get any recourse from GM since the vehicle has been converted to a RHS drive. Does anyone know the part number of the new pump so I can order it and hopefully that fixes the problem. And possibly where I would order this from? Thank you! Karen
Old 09-11-2016, 01:33 PM
cowboytim
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Teabrook
I am in Australia and have this problem. I doubt I would get any recourse from GM since the vehicle has been converted to a RHS drive. Does anyone know the part number of the new pump so I can order it and hopefully that fixes the problem. And possibly where I would order this from? Thank you! Karen
My Chevy Dealer told me the "fuel pump part was restricted". Chevy was reviewing each case and releasing the part in a "case by case" bases, in order to build a data base of information. This may turn into a full recall.
I would write GM and include the bulletin number released by GM, its in this thread somewhere.
My dealer is in San Jose Ca. and is one of the larger dealers in Vettes. They maybe able to help. Mine C6 is in the shop now, I'll be talking to them this week.
PM me if you'd like and I'll see what I can do from here Karen
The following users liked this post:
Teabrook (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Teabrook
Cruising

Originally Posted by cowboytim
My Chevy Dealer told me the "fuel pump part was restricted". Chevy was reviewing each case and releasing the part in a "case by case" bases, in order to build a data base of information. This may turn into a full recall.
I would write GM and include the bulletin number released by GM, its in this thread somewhere.
My dealer is in San Jose Ca. and is one of the larger dealers in Vettes. They maybe able to help. Mine C6 is in the shop now, I'll be talking to them this week.
PM me if you'd like and I'll see what I can do from here Karen
Wow! Thankyou! If you could just mention it to him and see what he suggests would be awesome! Great idea about writing to GM too. I am on it! K

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 09-15-2016, 08:38 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

After waiting 3 weeks since submitting my reimbursement form to the dealer, I called to check on it. I was informed that the form and proof of payment had been misplaced. I was asked to fill out another form and bring proof of payment to be resubmitted. I told the dealer I would do that the following day. I got a call a while later and was told the misplaced paperwork had been found, and that it would be submitted the next day. The lady said that it would take about a week to get the refund check, but that she was to leave on vacation the next week. She said she would leave the information with another employee, and that hopefully I would have my check by the time she left for vacation. Well another 2 weeks has gone by, and today I finally got a call from the lady who just returned from vacation to say my check has been sitting on her desk for the last week. So after a total of nearly six weeks, today I finally got my refund. Of the $3000 it cost me to get the fuel leak repaired, I got a refund of $1633. Not what I was hoping, but better than nothing.

Last edited by unclecookie; 09-15-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:28 AM
mmorse
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I waited about five weeks and went to the dealer to see what was going on. after an employee ran around for awhile, she showed up with my check for the entire amount I asked for, $1525. wonder how much longer it would have taken if I didn't go and ask what the status was.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:50 AM
Tommy1995
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How detailed is everyone's receipts that they're submitting? I had a small shop do mine and the receipt I got is not very detailed other than stating the price of the part and the actual labor cost. On the receipt it just says replace fuel pump and the labor cost next to that. Then under that it says fuel pump cost with the price listed. Then the total at the bottom. Is GM asking for a receipt that is broken down?. For example cost on a diagnostic, cost on the smoke test, etc.... I am going to submit my receipt to the dealer next week but I want to make sure it is in the correct form so that I will get as much back on my refund as possible. If necessary I'm sure I can return to the shop and have them give me another receipt to go with the one I have with the full breakdown

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *