C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 10:54 AM
NotLawReview
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just filled up for the second time since mine began stinking up my garage with the smell of fuel and it is for sure the issue.

A couple of questions:

-For the smoke test, so far as I can understand it from reading about the machine they use, they stick the hose into the fuel filler and pump smoke in and see if it leaks?

-Is there an ideal fuel level that I should bring the car in at to give the car a better shot at showing that it is the problem/failing the test? You'd think that the sheer amount of fumes/smell coming from the car with a full tank would do it, but it got me thinking that maybe it's better if there was a little room in the tank to let the smoke get all the way in the system (if my understanding of how the test works is correct)

-Looking at the letter, it seems to give priority to 2008 models; I have a 2010, can I print out the letter and bring it in with my car and have them test it out, or do i have to wait until a later phase when it's the turn of the other model years that are covered?

-One of the most recent posts mentions that they'll be getting a loaner car when the part comes in; will loaners be provided for any car that is covered/fixed?

Thanks!
Pat
Old 08-12-2016, 05:51 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

My car just go back from the dealer who did the special coverage work, and also I had them do both senders and the right side module. So far so good but I lost my job yesterday so it won't get out much for test driving. The one thing on the ticket that bothers me is it says the tank had shrunk and they had to enlarge the opening to get the old one out, and it says after they were done they checked for leaks and there were none. How in the heck do you enlarge the opening with the module stuck in there? All I can figure is they cut through the module and did some snipping. Dremel would have resulted in debris I would think. I've read about this problem on other posts, some say the tank shrunk, others say the pump swelled, not sure which is right.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:30 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by NotLawReview
I just filled up for the second time since mine began stinking up my garage with the smell of fuel and it is for sure the issue.

A couple of questions:

-For the smoke test, so far as I can understand it from reading about the machine they use, they stick the hose into the fuel filler and pump smoke in and see if it leaks?

-Is there an ideal fuel level that I should bring the car in at to give the car a better shot at showing that it is the problem/failing the test? You'd think that the sheer amount of fumes/smell coming from the car with a full tank would do it, but it got me thinking that maybe it's better if there was a little room in the tank to let the smoke get all the way in the system (if my understanding of how the test works is correct)

-Looking at the letter, it seems to give priority to 2008 models; I have a 2010, can I print out the letter and bring it in with my car and have them test it out, or do i have to wait until a later phase when it's the turn of the other model years that are covered?

-One of the most recent posts mentions that they'll be getting a loaner car when the part comes in; will loaners be provided for any car that is covered/fixed?

Thanks!
Pat
Mine seemed to have more odor when the gauge read more than 3/4 of a tank. But I totally brain farted that when I took it in and had only a half a tank. It still failed the test.

My understanding is the test pressurizes the fuel system through the evap port under the hood, and the tech can tell from decay on the pressurize gauge if it's leaking. The amount of fuel shouldn't matter. The smoke is introduced to pinpoint the location of the leak.

If you've got the letter with your VIN and can smell gas, go ahead and take it to the dealer for the test. No sense waiting if you don't have to.

The loaner car may be totally at the discretion of the dealership. I just happen to be going to a good dealer who offered the loaner, I didn't even mention it.

Good luck!

Last edited by BuckyThreadkiller; 08-13-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

I don't believe I have this issue in my 08, but I just bought it a month ago from a private seller. Should I be getting anything in the mail soon? Nothing yet. Want to make sure I am covered in the event this starts happening in the next several months.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:28 AM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

They go by vin
Give dealer you vin,
Old 08-15-2016, 10:12 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Just dropped off my paperwork for my 2008 which had this repair done 5 years ago. Hoping for positive outcome on warranty refund.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:51 PM
obone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told Saturday that they will not cover the entire cost of the repair. This seems to raise more questions about the Chargers. They told me that I should find out more by tomorrow. Has anyone else run into difficulties get a full refund?
Old 08-16-2016, 09:44 PM
Crash58
6th Gear

Yes I recently fixed this problem on my 2009. High pressure line cracks on fuel send unit and sprays gas.I think it's some defective plastic. Pools on top of gas tank drivers side and runs down. Now if I can get the recall on headlights fixed I'll be happy.

Last edited by Crash58; 08-16-2016 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Bullseye96 (12-23-2016)
Old 08-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Davidj2
Cruising

Anyone have a favorite dealer or mechanic to do this repair in the Atlanta area. I live northwest in Kennesaw area. Thanks!
Old 08-17-2016, 01:54 PM
bsr8129
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I received this letter, but my car has 127,000 miles on it so i miss the cut off by 7,000 miles anything I can do about this? My car totally has the smell of gas when parked in the garage when the tank is over half full.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:24 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

If youre out of warranty and this is coming out of your pocket, Id suggest buying an aftermarket unit with aluminum top instead of the oem style plastic...
Old 08-17-2016, 04:26 PM
Crash58
6th Gear

Default Fuel leak

This happened in my 2009 corvette where the high pressure line out had a small crack sprayed gas out on top of the tank driver side. Like any thing made of plastic with gas, heat, and cold. Makes it brittle. Would have been nice to have it done under a recall but it wasn't a hard fix for me. There are a couple of u tube videos about this.

Last edited by Crash58; 08-17-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:00 PM
mracer
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Crash58
This happened in my 2009 corvette where the high pressure line out had a small crack sprayed gas out on top of the tank driver side. Like any thing made of plastic with gas, heat, and cold. Makes it brittle. Would have been nice to have it done under a recall but it wasn't a hard fix for me. There are a couple of u tube videos about this.
Sure, to a certain extent..............
But most seem to feel that it's today's blend of regular fuel and Ethanol that's the culprit.
Here, where I live, they want to increase the blend from 10% to 15% or more.... sheesh! Can just imagine all the problems that will aggravate?!
ymmv
mike
Old 08-19-2016, 11:08 AM
NotLawReview
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
Mine seemed to have more odor when the gauge read more than 3/4 of a tank. But I totally brain farted that when I took it in and had only a half a tank. It still failed the test.

My understanding is the test pressurizes the fuel system through the evap port under the hood, and the tech can tell from decay on the pressurize gauge if it's leaking. The amount of fuel shouldn't matter. The smoke is introduced to pinpoint the location of the leak.

If you've got the letter with your VIN and can smell gas, go ahead and take it to the dealer for the test. No sense waiting if you don't have to.

The loaner car may be totally at the discretion of the dealership. I just happen to be going to a good dealer who offered the loaner, I didn't even mention it.

Good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEhci3tpcGA

Ah, thanks!

I have not actually received a letter, but I'm also not sure that I will given I only purchased the car a few months ago (though I did set up an account on mygm, so maybe that will help).

Given I have not received a letter, and my car is a '10, will I be put in the back of the line if I inquire about getting this fixed, or will my knowledge/possession of the letter and coverage be enough to set up an appointment?

Thanks again!
Pat
Old 08-22-2016, 12:10 AM
cormudd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recieved Letter from GM

Originally Posted by RainMan12
If your Corvette has had a problem with fuel smell coming from the car after you fill the tank, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE NHTSA WEBSITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This issue seems to be reported most often on 2008 Corvettes, but it may also impact other year models.

This issue is very serious. Fuel leaks out the top of the tanks, and will then drip down the back side onto the hot exhaust. If ignored this could result in a fire and possible death.

If parked overnight in a garage, the vapor will fill the garage and could easily be triggered into an explosion and fire from a gas water heater or other ignition source.

I can't park my C6 in my garage without it filling the entire garage with fumes so strong that I can't even keep my dogs in there. The vapors then seep into the house. The car is unsafe to drive, and unsafe to leave parked.

This is a safety defect, and if GM doesn't recall these cars and fix them, it is eventually going to result in someones car burning up and possibly burning down their house as well. The potential for loss of life is very high, and the problem that causes this needs to be found and fixed before someone dies from it.
I have received a letter telling me I have 10 years or 120,000 miles to get this fixed by dealer if I have the problem. Taking it in this week....
Old 08-22-2016, 12:32 AM
cormudd
Advanced

Originally Posted by bsr8129
I received this letter, but my car has 127,000 miles on it so i miss the cut off by 7,000 miles anything I can do about this? My car totally has the smell of gas when parked in the garage when the tank is over half full.
This worked for me, and you can see the cracks, under the fuel proff epoxy. But I don't recommend it unless you have knowledge of disconnecting and the resealing of the crossover tube.. I agree with the advice of el es tu
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2016, 12:37 AM
cormudd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave Carney
My car just go back from the dealer who did the special coverage work, and also I had them do both senders and the right side module. So far so good but I lost my job yesterday so it won't get out much for test driving. The one thing on the ticket that bothers me is it says the tank had shrunk and they had to enlarge the opening to get the old one out, and it says after they were done they checked for leaks and there were none. How in the heck do you enlarge the opening with the module stuck in there? All I can figure is they cut through the module and did some snipping. Dremel would have resulted in debris I would think. I've read about this problem on other posts, some say the tank shrunk, others say the pump swelled, not sure which is right.
You can get the old pump out, you just cant get the new one in. A good sanding with sand paper took care of mine, but then had to flush the tank out even though I did it with the tank upside down...

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 08-22-2016, 05:27 AM
cormudd
Advanced

Originally Posted by roadbike56
I'm looking at a 09. To test it for the leak is it as simple as filling the tank and taking a brief drive to see if the odor occurs? I'm making a decision soon.
Thanks
For me the odor would occur if I parked the car and got back to it within an hour or two. But in the cab, I would smell it in the mourning as it got worse and worse. a hair line crack in the 45 degree nipple that pumps out pressurized fuel probably is under more pressure with a full tank, but as the cracks get worse... well I hope you all get that... CHEVY should have corrected this right away because now it is complicated. The only option for me was to pay the quoted 3 to 4 thousand dollars for the dealer to fix, or try to do myself which you think might be easy, and it may be on some models, but with my tranny it is imposable to do it without lowering the drive train, or removing part of the tub, which everyone has a heart attack about. A shame my $4000 Toyota pick up has given me not a problem other than a rear wheel seal, and the timing chain and guide( $500) and a carb rebuild($200) with over 230,000 miles on it, 70,000 of them mine, But my $27,000 Vett has cost me upwards of $6,000 dollars and it has only 63,000 miles on it, 10,000 of them mine. I don't mind the higher price for a luxury sports car, but can I get some quality for the price??? I mean a leaking fuel pump at 60,000 miles would not be so bad if it cost $500 to fix... $4,000 to replace a fuel pump??? I built this whole motor for $3,000 (camero 350 400 hp)...... Just Saying think twice before buying a used Corvette C6..
Attached Images   
Old 08-22-2016, 03:32 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by obone
I was told Saturday that they will not cover the entire cost of the repair. This seems to raise more questions about the Chargers. They told me that I should find out more by tomorrow. Has anyone else run into difficulties get a full refund?
I got a 100% refund of the money I previously paid the dealership to do this repair. Don't let them off the hook. GM will cover it in FULL.
The following users liked this post:
obone (08-22-2016)
Old 08-22-2016, 05:44 PM
bsr8129
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So is this issue on the fuel pump its self?

Also i see quotes of how much it costs to have a fuel pump replaced, any from 2k-6k.

Since I have this issue and out of warranty and I need to have the fuel pump/sending unit replaced anyways to pass smog, I would like to take care of it all at one time and get an idea on how much the dealer will charge, as If i would take it to them.

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *