C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 04:34 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by unclecookie
The bulletin says that if the repair has already been done to complete the enclosed reimbursement form. I don't see that form in the bulletin, and I have already had the repair done. After reading the entire bulletin, it seems that it should be sent out to all owners of 2008 to 2013 Corvettes. I hope so!
Update: Today I went to the Chevrolet dealer that did the fuel pump replacement on my car last October. As I have not received the packet in the mail yet from GM, the service rep checked my VIN # on his computer and found that my car is covered, and is eligible for a reimbursement. Not sure yet if I will get 100% reimbursement because my fuel tank was replaced along with the module kit, etc. Just the fact that I will get anything back is a plus. All I have to do now is wait until I get my packet in the mail, and then return to the dealer to submit the reimbursement form. So if you have a 2008 or newer C6 and have experienced this fuel smell problem, I urge you to contact a GM dealer to see if you car is covered.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:09 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by bdeis61159
On purpose, I filled my tank just a bit more than to 9 gallons. It smelled until I drove it 25 miles and the smell went away so I am sure that I have a leak on the drivers side tank. If I take the tire and wheel well out along with the insulation, will I be able to see the tank and fill tube? Is it easy enough to put it all back? If I see a crack in the top of the tank, I have had good experience using JB Weld to fill in the crack. Any opinions would be appreciated. What else might I see (gaskets, rubber gas lines, etc.) Thanks.
The tank is not usually the problem. The fuel pump is what cracks, and I don't believe JB Weld is going to work for you. What year is your car? If it's a 2008 or newer, the repair could be covered by GM. Refer to the bulletin as mentioned above.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by unclecookie
Update: Today I went to the Chevrolet dealer that did the fuel pump replacement on my car last October. As I have not received the packet in the mail yet from GM, the service rep checked my VIN # on his computer and found that my car is covered, and is eligible for a reimbursement. Not sure yet if I will get 100% reimbursement because my fuel tank was replaced along with the module kit, etc. Just the fact that I will get anything back is a plus. All I have to do now is wait until I get my packet in the mail, and then return to the dealer to submit the reimbursement form. So if you have a 2008 or newer C6 and have experienced this fuel smell problem, I urge you to contact a GM dealer to see if you car is covered.
Having it done and then seeking reimbursement is probably the easier path. To qualify for replacement at the dealer under this program, you first have to fail the smoke test, and then they must visually see evidence of cracking or leaking when they lay eyes on the pump. (They have probably calculated they can dispense with half of the claims by requiring the smoke test, because many of them will pass since the smoke is not a liquid under pressure)
Old 07-25-2016, 07:44 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
The article is from CAC, according to them, GM just today released a Special Coverage Bulletin on this.

Here's a copy of the bulletin, courtesy of CAC.

http://www.holmesontherange.com/15682%20Bulletin-1.pdf
Went to dealer they said I would be covered under warranty until May 2018 on a 2008 ( if they find a leak ) it showed up on ther PC screen

I'll take it in before then and get it documented .
Old 07-26-2016, 01:34 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Looking at the part numbers on the bulletin for the fuel pump, it appears they are not using a new sender. Can't imagine going to all that trouble and putting the old sender back in. The dealer may very well charge $100 just for the drivers side sender and you still have the old stuff on the passenger side (figure they will want 5 bills for the module on the passengers side with new sender and labor). I don't know, thinking maybe it's not even worth the trip to the dealer for the smoke test. Out of pocket would be the same either way and if I do it I know it was done right. Dang.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Went in for the smoke test. Went pretty smoothly. Your dealer experience may be different but the first thing they do is commit you to a half hour of out of pocket labor IF the car does not fail the test or fails but for another reason. So, my car failed the smoke test and they have determined I am eligible for this special coverage adjustment.

My car has an automatic transmission that must be removed to do the job and I had intended to replace both pumps and both senders when I was gearing up to do this myself. In fact I have a brand new AC Delco passenger side pump with sender sitting in my basement. I asked the dealer to quote me the price to change the passenger side pump and sender, and to install a new sender in GM's new drivers side pump (GM is not providing a new sender according to my research on the part numbers in the bulletin). In order to avoid any confusion or possible "whose problem is it?" warranty situations later, I wanted to buy everything through the dealer, then it's entirely their problem. Of course their prices are much higher, almost double for the same AC Delco parts that are on Rock Auto but we are still in negotiations on that since the part manager was out. Will not be over $650 total for the passenger side pump with sender, drivers side sender, and labor to do the passenger side. That amount passes the smell test but I am trying to get them down some on that passenger side pump ($190 is what I paid at Rock auto, $330 is what they have included for that pump in the $650 total charge). The additional labor time was about 1.2 or 1.5 hours, included in the $650.

So if the job is done correctly this will accomplish everything except putting in a better pump so that it would be a permanent fix. Instead I think i can basically set the timer to 8 more years before another fail.

Just have to wait on parts now. The vette is back home. I feel for the guys that don't fail the smoke test, that would just blow. I can see how you could leak fluid under pressure but not smoke.
The following users liked this post:
jballard (08-07-2016)
Old 07-29-2016, 08:19 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RainMan12
If your Corvette has had a problem with fuel smell coming from the car after you fill the tank, YOU NEED TO GO TO THE NHTSA WEBSITE AND FILL OUT A COMPLAINT.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

This issue seems to be reported most often on 2008 Corvettes, but it may also impact other year models.

This issue is very serious. Fuel leaks out the top of the tanks, and will then drip down the back side onto the hot exhaust. If ignored this could result in a fire and possible death.

If parked overnight in a garage, the vapor will fill the garage and could easily be triggered into an explosion and fire from a gas water heater or other ignition source.

I can't park my C6 in my garage without it filling the entire garage with fumes so strong that I can't even keep my dogs in there. The vapors then seep into the house. The car is unsafe to drive, and unsafe to leave parked.

This is a safety defect, and if GM doesn't recall these cars and fix them, it is eventually going to result in someones car burning up and possibly burning down their house as well. The potential for loss of life is very high, and the problem that causes this needs to be found and fixed before someone dies from it.
Keep doing this !
Old 08-03-2016, 07:23 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

2008 with no issues. Received extended coverage letter today. Covers car for 10 yrs from in service date or 120k miles - whichever occurs first. I'm covered until the end of 2017 as a result.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:31 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by dpigguy
2008 with no issues. Received extended coverage letter today. Covers car for 10 yrs from in service date or 120k miles - whichever occurs first. I'm covered until the end of 2017 as a result.
Also have 2008 with no issues. Received my letter yesterday. Is service date same as build date? It's not date of sale?

Last edited by Carvin; 08-03-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 08-04-2016, 12:53 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carvin
Also have 2008 with no issues. Received my letter yesterday. Is service date same as build date? It's not date of sale?
Generally service date means the day it was sold to the original owner and placed into service.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by dpigguy

Got my letter. I'm good for another year.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:51 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 151 Posts

So the initial post on this thread was in 2014 and it's 2016 now. Has the NHTSA moved on the issue or was it GM who stepped forward on their own? The answer might be in the body of this thread, but it's two years and 24 pages long. I've got an '09 with no problems and 37K miles. How do you get a letter from GM to address extended coverage?

I found the link to the GM letter on page 23 of this thread. It is dated July 2016. Really? It took that long between the government and/or GM to do something about this? I guess I'll be waiting by my mailbox for my extended coverage letter. It would appear that the issue spans 2008-2013 C6s, so I would expect that owners of those vehicles should all be contacted by GM.

Last edited by RagTop69; 08-05-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:50 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by RagTop69
So the initial post on this thread was in 2014 and it's 2016 now. Has the NHTSA moved on the issue or was it GM who stepped forward on their own? The answer might be in the body of this thread, but it's two years and 24 pages long. I've got an '09 with no problems and 37K miles. How do you get a letter from GM to address extended coverage?

I found the link to the GM letter on page 23 of this thread. It is dated July 2016. Really? It took that long between the government and/or GM to do something about this? I guess I'll be waiting by my mailbox for my extended coverage letter. It would appear that the issue spans 2008-2013 C6s, so I would expect that owners of those vehicles should all be contacted by GM.
I'm not sure who is responsible for resolving this issue. It would be hard to believe that GM would do anything without someone else pushing them along.

I would think that the letter should be sent out to all owners of 2008 to 2013 C6 Corvettes. As the bulletin states, the repair will only be done to effected cars that fail a test. My car has already been repaired, but according to the dealer, I am eligible for at least a partial refund. Like you, I am waiting for the letter to arrive.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:26 PM
vettematic
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skar
Went to dealer they said I would be covered under warranty until May 2018 on a 2008 ( if they find a leak ) it showed up on ther PC screen

I'll take it in before then and get it documented .
Do you guys know why the 2006 or 2005 model was not covered?

My 2006 have the exact same issue. P0442 from the check engine light; dealer diagnosed it using the smoke test as bad fuel pump, but I got it repaired from an independent shop back in 12/10/15 with about 65,000 miles on it due to major cost difference. The dealer wanted $2700 and my guy did it for $1800. I even keep the original fuel pump with cracked fitting for this scenario, trying to get reimbursed.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:55 PM
Dave Carney
Instructor

I don't think it's a coincidence that GM lost their ignition key appeal (they were attempting to use their bankruptcy to shield the New GM from old GM liabilities) and then within weeks this fuel pump issue was finally addressed. The fuel pump issue while lacking the body count of the ignition key issue is similar in that they knew about it before filing for bankruptcy.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:11 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

I have a small smell afraid to take the car in thinking they won't find anything ?
Should I wait until it gets worse I have another year .
Old 08-06-2016, 07:50 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a 2007 and had to pay for the repair out of pocket a couple of years ago - do I need to contact GM to get the form for a refund?

Get notified of new replies

To * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *

Old 08-06-2016, 12:08 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by skar
I have a small smell afraid to take the car in thinking they won't find anything ?
Should I wait until it gets worse I have another year .
Not sure what you consider a "small" smell. When my car had the fuel pump leak, it filled my entire 3 car garage with fumes. Enough so that it made it unbearable to enter the garage with all the doors closed.

Does your car have a fuel smell all the time, or only when the tanks are full? A well known issue is the gas smell when you go past the first click of the gas pump nozzle.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:11 PM
unclecookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by el es tu
I have a 2007 and had to pay for the repair out of pocket a couple of years ago - do I need to contact GM to get the form for a refund?
So far the issued bulletin only covers the 2008 and newer Corvettes. You can try to contact GM for a refund. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:39 PM
Frankie15
Melting Slicks

Received 488 Likes on 366 Posts

I just purchased my 2008 Corvette a couple weeks ago. I've never noticed any fuel smell yet, but I have only filled it up once so far. Will I receive something in the mail or will I need to fill something out to get a form regarding ownership?

Quick Reply: * * * * DANGER Fuel Leaks - SAFETY RECALL * * * *