C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Corvette Contributes to Sting Operation

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 02:20 PM
Detroit Steel
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
Default C6 Corvette Contributes to Sting Operation

I'm a huge fan of Corvettes, but I've never quite considered one worthy of a Citizens Merit Award. However, this C6 convertibe might be well deserving of the accolade.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 04-17-2015, 06:36 AM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Im confused.. how does a check "Clear" and then its found out later is a fake ?! they said the loan was paid off too,. how is this passed thru all these hoops without Certified funds which is like cash...
Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default C6 Corvette Contributes to Sting Operation

Originally Posted by Gxpz06
Im confused.. how does a check "Clear" and then its found out later is a fake ?! they said the loan was paid off too,. how is this passed thru all these hoops without Certified funds which is like cash...
Happens all the time. Google "Nigerian Scams" for more information.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Happens all the time. Google "Nigerian Scams" for more information.
long time ago BEFORE this was even know or able to be on Google.... I had same incident selling my Shifter Kart back in 2002 ... this was NOT known back then But I did due deligence and suspected and had bank make sure it Cleared "CLeared"... after a few days they found out it was a illegal "but real" check from a bank (inside bank job ?!) .....

so why Im "confused" is how the Lien holder and the transacting bank Neither MAde sure it cleared "cleared"....
Old 04-23-2015, 03:05 PM
MChilders
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Response to Gxpz06

Originally Posted by Detroit Steel

I'm a huge fan of Corvettes, but I've never quite considered one worthy of a Citizens Merit Award. However, this C6 convertibe might be well deserving of the accolade.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
The "Buyer" sent the cashiers check directly to State Farm Bank. He even gave us a UPS tracking number for the check. Once we saw that the check had arrived at State Farm Bank, I called to verify that they had received it and requested that they verify that it was a valid check - because I'd heard of these check scams and I was concerned- I told the State Farm Bank clerk that. She put me on hold telling me that she was contacting the loan processing department and came back telling me "it's a cashiers check, it's guaranteed. You'll be getting the overage check in the mail within 2 business days". I thought everything was fine so I released the car. Our account was "Zero'd" out on Friday the following day - again we thought everything was fine. It wasn't until we got a call from another Corvette buyer, on Sunday morning, that they saw our car on Craig's list in Chicago for $30,000 cash vs. the $42,500 we sold it for - we were sure something was up after that. And, they used pictures of the car from my garage. Monday morning we requested a copy of the check from State Farm Bank after calling the bank noted on the front of the check found out that it was fake. In fact there were 2 different banks noted on the check Capital One on the front and BMO Harris on the back. State Farm Bank never actually verified that the check was good as I was told. Just the fact that there were 2 different banks on the check should have made someone question but, they just passed it right on through. With the quick work and collaboration of the our State Police, the Chicago Police and NICB, they had arrested 2 people and retrieved our car, virtually undamaged, the following Tuesday. We drove up to Chicago on Thursday and drove her back home were she's going to stay!

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Corvette Contributes to Sting Operation

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette Contributes to Sting Operation