C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:27 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by IDSRVIT
Because the car could eventually end up in CA. GM cannot control where the car does or doesn't end up so the safest bet is to fix all to cover their bases.
Man, that's a huge expense just because a car might end up in CA. I would think they'd get a notice from CA DMV of every new C6 registration and send them a letter of recall. Haven't all these cars been passing CA emissions test up till now? What changed?
Old 05-14-2015, 05:27 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,202 Likes on 706 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
My concern would be did GM have a bad batch of catalytic converters that have failure issues? If so, then the internals can break apart and rattle around or even clog the exhaust flow causing engine damage.
nah they will deny it is a problem just like the valve issue
Old 05-14-2015, 06:09 PM
ls1121
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 319 Likes on 225 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

My 08 has manifolds, cats and X pipe from an 09 ZR1 and they will not be getting their hands on my car. My Vette was born in Oregon, I wonder. No headlight recall and no cat recall. I am very happy with how it runs now besides they are probably only looking for stock LS3 Catalytic Converters but if they would like to give them to me I would be happy to take them, in the box.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:21 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
If you're in FL why would you want to have the dealer mess around with your car for no other reason than to make it conform to CA emissions? In fact why is GM sending these notices to anyone outside of CA? I don't get it.
Well I'm registered in MA and I agree with you, why bother if I'm not in CA. Plus I dread having them mess with the car
I checked and NU5 code is in the glove box.
So apparently, in CA or not, the recall is for cars with the that code.
Either way, now that I know what it's about, and apparently voluntary, I'll be looking into not having it done.
If the car ever ends up in CA, let them worry about it
Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
Man, that's a huge expense just because a car might end up in CA. I would think they'd get a notice from CA DMV of every new C6 registration and send them a letter of recall. Haven't all these cars been passing CA emissions test up till now? What changed?
Not only that, how many 08 & 09's are out there with over 100,000 miles on the clock and we've never heard of this being a CAT failure problem or pollution problem for that matter
Old 05-14-2015, 08:23 PM
TDY
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just received my "voluntary" emission recall. I don't understand why one would not want to receive two new catalytic converters for free? Mine are now 6 years old and I am sure they would cost a great deal to replace. Any thoughts?
Old 05-14-2015, 08:44 PM
spuddeamore
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also just received this recall notice. I'm in AZ and car was bought in AZ. I'm all for getting "free stuff" even though I'm not a Democrat (smile), but I worry about the ECU flash. I feel CA standards only turn the screws down, never up, but that's just my thinking. My car passes emission tests here so what to do? 'Vette has 15K on it, so life of cats should not be an issue yet.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Now with the OBDII testing how would one know what is coming out the tail pipe. This test just test for readiness of the systems.

Is there a cat failure sensor, or high emissions sensor?
Old 05-15-2015, 10:01 AM
87SAM
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
Now with the OBDII testing how would one know what is coming out the tail pipe. This test just test for readiness of the systems.

Is there a cat failure sensor, or high emissions sensor?
The rear O2 sensors monitor cat performance.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 736 Likes on 475 Posts

If GM is replacing the existing catalytic converters on my 08 that's not a big deal, but if they are adding additional cats, like the later years have, then I will pass. As far as the ECM update, I will just bring my laptop and flash back my tune before I leave the lot.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:27 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

This sentence is on the recall notice, so that's probably why it's voluntary.

"The California Air Resources Board (CARB) requires vehicle emission recalls be completed prior to California registration renewal. Uncorrected emission recalls will result in the inability to renew your California vehicle registration."

Now I'm guessing there will soon be some modded CA cars for sale to either unsuspecting CA buyers or out-of-state purchasers.

Although I would have loved/wanted to live in SoCal in the 60's, I'm sure glad when I left OH that I chose AZ.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:45 PM
Kozzzz
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

There's some misinformed assumptions here. While the recall is for cars with California (CARB) emissions standards, they are not applicable only to cars in California. The following states REQUIRE that the CARB standards be met in their own states:

New Jersey
Connecticut
Washington
Vermont
New York
Maine
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
Oregon
Arizona
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Florida
New Mexico

My guess is, if you bought your car (new) in one of those states, it's a CA emissions car, and would be subject to the recall, because in those states it needs to pass the CARB emissions standards.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:01 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
This sentence is on the recall notice, so that's probably why it's voluntary.

"The California Air Resources Board (CARB) requires vehicle emission recalls be completed prior to California registration renewal. Uncorrected emission recalls will result in the inability to renew your California vehicle registration."

Now I'm guessing there will soon be some modded CA cars for sale to either unsuspecting CA buyers or out-of-state purchasers.

Although I would have loved/wanted to live in SoCal in the 60's, I'm sure glad when I left OH that I chose AZ.

This would be bad news for us that have the Z06 system. With the single cat in line it would not pass the visual.

Looks like I will have to install my original system and get the added cat and get a retune.

This is really bad news, more expensive converting back.

CARB just is a nightmare.

Last edited by Boomer111; 05-16-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:20 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Kozzzz
There's some misinformed assumptions here. While the recall is for cars with California (CARB) emissions standards, they are not applicable only to cars in California. The following states REQUIRE that the CARB standards be met in their own states:

New Jersey
Connecticut
Washington
Vermont
New York
Maine
Rhode Island
Massachusetts
Oregon
Arizona
Pennsylvania
Maryland
Florida
New Mexico

My guess is, if you bought your car (new) in one of those states, it's a CA emissions car, and would be subject to the recall, because in those states it needs to pass the CARB emissions standards.
But since it's a voluntary recall and only CA is currently requiring compliance, it makes no difference if it meets CA standards unless you intend to move to CA or sell your car to someone who lives there.

I don't know about those other states, however AZ only checks the gas cap and OBDII for codes. No visual or sniffer for late model stuff.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Same in California. But if the new second cat is not present then it would fail the visual.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by 87SAM
The rear O2 sensors monitor cat performance.
To what extent. Will the sensor tell if the emissions are too high? Or just if the days are working.

Alos anyone know what year the double cat system started in the C6, 2012.

I wonder if all the pre double in line cat systems will all be recalled.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:03 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

So if I understand the recall correctly, they are adding the mid-pipe cats to 2009 LS3 cars just like the 2012 and up with the 4 catalysts. 2008 gets the reflash and the primary cats I guess. Praise the Lord I got a federal emissions car from Oregon 1 year before they implemented California low emission vehicle standards. No NU5, no recall!

Get notified of new replies

To New Recall

Old 05-17-2015, 06:52 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
...But, I wasn't aware if it's voluntary or not as others mentioned.
Mine runs just fine and hate to have it messed with
It is VOLUNTARY for GM, not you. GM was not required by any government authority to issue this recall. GM VOLUNTARILY decided to do it because otherwise you would have to pay for it if you wanted to get your car plates next year. If is NOT voluntary in states that require CARB emissions compliance. You MUST have it done if you want to pass an inspection.

In 45 years of registering cars I have never once had an inspection of any kind. There are still parts of America that don't elect liberals solely because they always promise to make things better but do the opposite so they can reuse the same campaign speeches next election.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Originally Posted by mike100
So if I understand the recall correctly, they are adding the mid-pipe cats to 2009 LS3 cars just like the 2012 and up with the 4 catalysts. 2008 gets the reflash and the primary cats I guess. Praise the Lord I got a federal emissions car from Oregon 1 year before they implemented California low emission vehicle standards. No NU5, no recall!
I think the recall starts with the 2009 and will end up with the 2008 when enough parts are supplied, with both years getting the same replacements. Why are not the 2010 and 2011 models with the single inline cats included.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:49 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
I think the recall starts with the 2009 and will end up with the 2008 when enough parts are supplied, with both years getting the same replacements. Why are not the 2010 and 2011 models with the single inline cats included.

I was wondering that too.

I don't think they would have the 2008's come back twice though. Perhaps the standard was increased for the '09 model year for CA LEVs. Anyways, I'd be pissed because the car was already certified compliant the year it came out as-is. They did this reflash-or-you-don't-get-your-tags for some powerstroke diesels back in 2003/2004 too and they ran worse after. Luckily I ended up with a federal car.

Quick Reply: New Recall