C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 04:21 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,838 Likes on 1,971 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Yeah, I'm sure it was all about the black and white thing......a wave was real neighborly of him...... if you had a black and white GS he would have tracked you down and wanted to trade pink slips...... I'm pretty sure he would have.....

In between runs to pet the dogs and get a bite to eat.......to much work and no play is making H1 a dull boy...... have seen several C6's out having fun....
Old 04-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Husker C6
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

Pretty quite around here with H1 working so hard.
Tuner sent me a picture of my car before he delivers it next week. Told him the girl would probably have to stay there but I would visit often.

Name:  $_1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  58.3 KB
Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

....H600....that was the tuner......! or at least she was working on my car when I stopped in......she only works on Grand Sports.....She loooves that Blade Silver......

I asked her if she worked on baser cars......she just smiled and shook her head....no, was all she said...... wow....that reminds me of a song again......but I played it last month.....

Back in but now I got about 3 acres of wild *** grass growing and I'm supposed to tend to it.........but am losing interest..... maybe just a few minutes in the big chair.....then I'll go mow.......
Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by Husker C6
Pretty quite around here with H1 working so hard.
Tuner sent me a picture of my car before he delivers it next week. Told him the girl would probably have to stay there but I would visit often.

Attachment 48086436

really nice BLACK wheels on THAT GS............

don't look like no ZR1 replicas to me........

Originally Posted by Huskerman
....H600....that was the tuner......! or at least she was working on my car when I stopped in......she only works on Grand Sports.....She loooves that BS......

I asked her if she worked on baser cars......she just smiled and shook her head....no, was all she said...... wow....that reminds me of a song again......but I played it last month.....

ain't no reason to work on a baser car........... they seem to stay ahead of the GS'ers already.......

she prefers shotgun next to the baser owner / operator....

Back in but now I got about 3 acres of wild *** grass growing and I'm supposed to tend to it.........but am losing interest..... maybe just a few minutes in the big chair.....then I'll go mow.......
you know that sign I posted about getting older and the body asking "What the Hell are you Doing?"..........

did that yesterday............ 12 hours of rear axle swaps in a pickup truck for an evaluation of a potential electronic system glitch.....

removed the original, installed and tested 4 others, then had to put the truck back to original before I could call it a day......

not my job to do, but the 30 something stated to the big boss, that they didn't go to school to get their hands dirty.........

just another lame *** excuse for laziness.........

Last edited by rkj427; 04-23-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:01 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,892 Likes on 1,914 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Today's project is to change all the brake pads, change brake fluid and clean up the wheel well area.

Seems one of my boys misplaced my brake bleeder or loaned it out and never got it back. So first order of business is to go buy a new one.

My dad would have kicked my ars for losing his tools.

But I did get a little revenge the other day. One son was doing some repair work and needed a tool he knew I had. I told him someone never put it back where it belongs so I can't find it, you'll have to go buy your own. He called back complaining about having to spend $50 for the tool. Told him that might make him take better care of his and my tools.

Off to get a vacuum bleeder.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:02 AM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I went to school and I get my hands dirty.......entitled millennials sounds like to me......

Let's roll Hambones.......Uncle Sam needs those tax dollars.......
Old 04-24-2017, 09:19 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 707 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427

not my job to do, but the 30 something stated to the big boss, that they didn't go to school to get their hands dirty.........

just another lame *** excuse for laziness......... [/B]
And sadly, probably still has their job......

Last edited by R&L's C6; 04-24-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:32 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Pads changed and fluid is flushed. Halfazzed cleaned up the wheel wells. With all the rain were getting this time of year I decided not to waste my time getting it show ready.

I found the source of my brake clatter​​​​​​. Drivers side front pad had worn through the rubber coating on the backing plate. Hawk ceramic pads is what I had. Every time you hit the brake it made a horrible clatter. Only heard it when moving very slowly or at a stop. No noise at all now with GM performance ceramic pads.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:42 AM
wayback
Team Owner

really nice BLACK wheels on THAT GS............

don't look like no ZR1 replicas to me........

you know that sign I posted about getting older and the body asking "What the Hell are you Doing?"..........

did that yesterday............ 12 hours of rear axle swaps in a pickup truck for an evaluation of a potential electronic system glitch.....

removed the original, installed and tested 4 others, then had to put the truck back to original before I could call it a day......

just another lame *** excuse for laziness.........
Well now that you have so much experience, want to come swap mine for me? Think my drivers side output bearing is shot. Clunks like metal to metal everytime it shifts down to 2nd or first. Also when you hit the brakes in first. Makes the same noise if I hit a big enough bump.

That is next on my list.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:12 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wayback
Well now that you have so much experience, want to come swap mine for me? Think my drivers side output bearing is shot. Clunks like metal to metal everytime it shifts down to 2nd or first. Also when you hit the brakes in first. Makes the same noise if I hit a big enough bump.

That is next on my list.
unfortunately, way more experience doing that work than just these..........

maybe I could drive my baser car down to TX, help you get yours done, and then you take mine to Nebraska and crush the GS'ers in the 1/2 mile race.............

i could then fly into TX or Ne later in the summer and get it to take to SD............. right now, work sucks, way too many hours, way too little baser pay.................. and my car sits with the front bumper off, waiting for me to have time to finish installing the black headlights..........

need to get some Ruxbucks or Huskerbucks and get me another Corvette, so I always have one available to drive...

just as long as it is the base model!

Last edited by rkj427; 04-24-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:26 PM
Husker C6
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts

maybe I could drive my baser car down to TX, help you get yours done, and then you take mine to Nebraska and crush the GS'ers in the 1/2 mile race.............

i could then fly into TX or Ne later in the summer and get it to take to SD.............
Sounds like a good idea! The race is full but I am sure one of us would give up our spot so you could run. Which one of us gives up our spot will be a decision between H1 and myself. I would gladly make room in my garage for a Husker red convertible till the SD trip. I promise I wont drive it.
Make sure you put those new 19/20's on before you drop it off.

Last edited by Husker C6; 04-24-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:13 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Husker C6
Sounds like a good idea! The race is full but I am sure one of us would give up our spot so you could run. Which one of us gives up our spot will be a decision between H1 and myself. I would gladly make room in my garage for a Husker red convertible till the SD trip. I promise I wont drive it.
Make sure you put those new 19/20's on before you drop it off.

Hey, hey, hey, I've already kicked my wifes car to the curb. Little baser red is going in my garage.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:00 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

That is next on my list.
Hey, hey, hey, I've already kicked my wifes car to the curb. Little baser red is going in my garage.
just a FYI - the left hand (driver side) usually is the "load or torque bearing" side, as typically the ring gears in a rear axle are offset towards the left hand (drivers side)............. typical to see bearings on the differential case or outputs to wear more than the other side, as the load (torque) they see is greater........... another thing related to bearings, a typical bearing is compromised of an inner cone or assembly with either ***** or rollers, riding on an inner race. That assembly then is positioned in the assembly and rides in an outer race.

think "old school" front wheel bearings, and you can picture a cone and cup, as they are commonly called..........

most people don't know or realize that the steel material properties of the rollers and races are different, with one being slightly softer than the other, either the cup (races) are harder or softer than the rollers.......... this allows manufacturers to set a preload on the bearings during assembly, to ensure that the rollers actually rotate while moving, otherwise they act a "scrapers" and remove the oil film, and then potentially metal material from the other part due to excessive heat................ OK, today's lesson over...............

we don't produce the rear differential assemblies for Corvettes, never have......... only GM manufactured rear axles in a Corvette were the original beam style.................GM has used various suppliers through the years..........our company more focused on "truck & SUV" style originally............easier to mass produce and less manufacturing costs associated with them........... why reinvent the wheel.........

could help if you get in a jam, but if you have reasonable mechanical skills, it isn't rocket science and you should be OK..............

now, IF the red baser car goes anywhere.............. it would be to TX............basers stick together.............

picture below shows what happens when a dog trusted a GS'er.............

lastly, most basers have to be resourceful enough to modify or repair our own vehicles........... don't have typical GS'er money.......

good thing about that is the BASERS can fix anything but a fat woman's broken heart..........

for that repair...... we leave that to the GS'ers.........

Last edited by rkj427; 04-24-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:17 PM
wayback
Team Owner

So you think it's possible to do in a garage without a lift? I thought I saw a video and it said something about 300 ft lbs of torque needed. I'm not a GSer, could not generate that much torque jumping on it.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:37 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

So you think it's possible to do in a garage without a lift? I thought I saw a video and it said something about 300 ft lbs of torque needed. I'm not a GSer, could not generate that much torque jumping on it.
air compressor available?

could generate that much using an impact gun, as it would break loose or reach that maximum torque value.............. probably an expensive 1/2" drive model, or more than likely a 3/4" drive model...........

another option would be an electric version, that also reaches those torque values.........

honestly you should be able to do it in the garage, as long as you can get access to both the parts which need to be removed, and the tools to reach the torques..............

have done some of this type of work on a vehicle development hot trip, where it was completed in the Death Valley area in a small building that did have an air compressor and not much else, so I was able to use the impact gun I brought along to use to remove and then replace ring gear bolts which were torqued to 330 foot pounds......... yes, it was a large diameter gear, about double the size of those in most cars
Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 PM
Huskerman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

...that would depend on the torque wrench Whayman......the big trucks get their nuts torqued to 500 lbs and they gots a real big long torque wrench ya......one guy holds it on the lug nut and the other guy runs the smart end......makes a big click...... GS'ers can run that from their barcaloungers......

Went out a practiced 3 gear tonight and only missed once......I'm going to end up with a MGW before this is all over.....
Old 04-24-2017, 10:06 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Huskerman
...that would depend on the torque wrench Whayman......the big trucks get their nuts torqued to 500 lbs and they gots a real big long torque wrench ya......one guy holds it on the lug nut and the other guy runs the smart end......makes a big click...... GS'ers can run that from their barcaloungers......

Went out a practiced 3 gear tonight and only missed once......I'm going to end up with a MGW before this is all over.....
thanks for that info. H1...........

forgot that he could also use a torque multiplier, which essentially is another torque wrench that has provisions for a smaller torque wrench to rotate the head with the socket on it to obtain the higher torque values.............

sorry to hear about 3rd gear.........

MGW with the new style lower box they have may be the thing you need to alleviate that issue..........

Get notified of new replies

To Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill

Old 04-24-2017, 10:32 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,350 Posts
2016 C6 of Year Finalist

...forgot that he could also use a torque multiplier, which essentially is another torque wrench that has provisions for a smaller torque wrench to rotate the head with the socket on it to obtain the higher torque values
Like this?

Good info you're putting out...
Old 04-24-2017, 10:34 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

Hamsters...tomorrow is National Hug A Plumber Day.
I'm huggin this one:

Last edited by ruxvette; 04-24-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:44 PM
ruxvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

2016 C6 of Year Finalist

glad to see you made that astute observation from your upper level view...........
I was able to see clearly with my new telescope...

Quick Reply: Hammy's Grand Sport Bar & Grill