C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

160 Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 05:10 PM
0Chuck CoW
Former Vendor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'12-'13-'14

Default AutoCal is on the WAY!

Originally Posted by alanshore
I received a 160 from Chuck Cow and i'm going to be changing it this weekend.

I can't for the life of me find any threads on where the thermostat is "From a picture perspective," I know its 2 bolts in a housing that connects to a hose on the passenger side but I can't for the life of me find out WHERE it is.

Does any one have any pictures of their installation of the thermostat?
AutoCal is on the WAY! He He....

Chuck CoW
Old 07-27-2015, 07:11 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Make sure you have a drip pan under the front of the car you will get antifreeze running out of the hose and out of the thermostat housing. Use a new gasket, as was previously stated, you will have to refill cooling system and as mention make sure you get the air out. Good luck, it's not hard to do.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:36 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by okie08vette
Make sure you have a drip pan under the front of the car you will get antifreeze running out of the hose and out of the thermostat housing. Use a new gasket, as was previously stated, you will have to refill cooling system and as mention make sure you get the air out. Good luck, it's not hard to do.
The gasket is part of the thermostat. No old style scrape and glue. It is a rubber lip around the outside.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:16 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
IMHO, you shouldn't be wrenching on your car if you can't even trace a radiator hose to the thermostat housing.
Don gave you the best advise here (even though you are not looking for advise). I will ad, make sure you know how to fill the radiator (no radiator cap like most other cars) and how to get air out of the system after you fill it. Easy to do but way harder than finding the housing.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
Don gave you the best advise here (even though you are not looking for advise). I will ad, make sure you know how to fill the radiator (no radiator cap like most other cars) and how to get air out of the system after you fill it. Easy to do but way harder than finding the housing.
He should not have to burp it if the stat has the air release hole in it and installed correctly. Right? I never had to burp my....
Old 07-28-2015, 01:04 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,095 Likes on 2,079 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Some advice on "Burping" the cooling system of air after changing out the thermostat:

I have never been able to burp the coolant system after changing the thermostat, but be aware of this ..... The system will slowly rid itself of trapped air. You will notice that you will need to re-fill the coolant tank a couple of times after the install. Just keep an eye on the tank for a couple of days of driving until you don't need to add anymore fluid.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:08 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by simplegto
The gasket is part of the thermostat. No old style scrape and glue. It is a rubber lip around the outside.
Sweet I did not know that, thanks.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:09 AM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,095 Likes on 2,079 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Another thing .... To take full advantage of the cooler 160 degree thermostat, the electric coolant fan really needs to be programmed via the PCM in order to increase it's on-time a little.

Just replacing the thermostat may be beneficial, but again, it [should] be done with a re-program of the cooling fan.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:33 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel 1
Some comments from those who obviously have never ran a 160* stat.

Car with stock 187* stat @Cruising Temp.> 191 - 198*

Car with 160* stat @Cruising Temp.> 172 - 180*
The Avalanche has a 195* OEM stat but my results are the same as noted with a 160* stat.

Due to the MP112 Magnacharger I wanted to cool the temps down to help with IATs as much as possible. I also added Flex-A-Lite e-fans that start coming on at 190*. I never see coolant temps over 205*. The only negative that I have encountered with a 160* stat is that it takes much longer for the heater to get really hot in the winter. I've been running the 160* stat for 8 or 9 years now.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:45 AM
shane p
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts

Its on the front of the water pump on passenger side, easy to do, leave the fill cap off the tank and let it start the car and let it warm up then put your cap on, wayback just a fyi a lot of thermostats where in the intake manifold they are not there anymore so they did move them.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:01 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,919 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by shane p
Its on the front of the water pump on passenger side, easy to do, leave the fill cap off the tank and let it start the car and let it warm up then put your cap on, wayback just a fyi a lot of thermostats where in the intake manifold they are not there anymore so they did move them.
Yes but weren't they still at the end of the radiator hose?
Old 07-28-2015, 09:17 AM
shane p
Race Director

Ya they are, I just figured I would point that out because maybe the OP was looking at the intake manifold, although I think that they moved them when the gen 2 lt1 came in 1992 or something like that.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:26 AM
alanshore
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Some advice on "Burping" the cooling system of air after changing out the thermostat:

I have never been able to burp the coolant system after changing the thermostat, but be aware of this ..... The system will slowly rid itself of trapped air. You will notice that you will need to re-fill the coolant tank a couple of times after the install. Just keep an eye on the tank for a couple of days of driving until you don't need to add anymore fluid.
Oh sweet! Thank you for this info!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:12 AM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

When I put the 180* stat in mine in 2012, I also added a bottle of Water Wetter. The benefit may be marginal, but it didn't hurt.
The advice on refilling a couple times was right on.
IIRC the coolant tank cap can be a little tricky to remove.
The stat change, being down lower and vertical rather than staring you in the face and horizontal like the old SBC wasn't quite as simple, requiring a little more dexterity.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

On the C6 the bottom rad hose goes to the stat housing, on my many other cars the top rad hose goes to the stat housing??
Old 07-28-2015, 10:40 AM
shane p
Race Director

I put a 160 in mine the car runs fine. GM knows what temp to use to get the best fuel mileage same with the tires and tune and a lot of other junk they use and put on for fuel mileage and epa junk they don't care about max horsepower. A thermostat is like a regulator it speeds up and slows down water flow to the radiator to try and keep it at a constant temp so a 160 deg tstat will try to keep water at 160 the cooling fans should be adjusted to come on according to tstat. That's my opinion anyway.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:57 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 983 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
On the C6 the bottom rad hose goes to the stat housing, on my many other cars the top rad hose goes to the stat housing??
I haven't changed a stat in so long (3 yrs ago 70 El Camino 454) that I went out and looked at the Vette when all this started, so where did I look, where they used to be so THANKS for the info, who would've known huh
NSF

Get notified of new replies

To 160 Thermostat

Old 07-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

I put a 160 in mine the car runs fine. GM knows what temp to use to get the best fuel mileage same with the tires and tune and a lot of other junk they use and put on for fuel mileage and epa junk they don't care about max horsepower. A thermostat is like a regulator it speeds up and slows down water flow to the radiator to try and keep it at a constant temp so a 160 deg tstat will try to keep water at 160 the cooling fans should be adjusted to come on according to tstat. That's my opinion anyway.
Shane: You can put in a 147 stat & it will still heat up, the tuner should not turn your fan on below 194 degrees because your fan will be running most of the time which will burn your fan motor out sooner or later. I will say it will be impossible to keep your coolant at 160 degrees. I used one of the best shops here in Texas for my work and the tuner does not recommend the 160 stat only the 180.If your coolant stays at 160 degrees then what will your engine oil and tranny oil be at?????
Old 07-28-2015, 01:03 PM
shane p
Race Director

your right, that's why I said try, it wont be 160 but it will be cooler than the factory your limited by air flow, radiator size, water flow, coolant capacity, and so on. I have had many cars with 160 thermostats and they all ran cooler. when you are in stop in go traffic the fans will run alittle more but when your on the open road they shouldn't run because you have plenty off air flow, you can burn them or the wires up.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:51 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

your right, that's why I said try, it wont be 160 but it will be cooler than the factory your limited by air flow, radiator size, water flow, coolant capacity, and so on. I have had many cars with 160 thermostats and they all ran cooler. when you are in stop in go traffic the fans will run alittle more but when your on the open road they shouldn't run because you have plenty off air flow, you can burn them or the wires up.
Just for the hell of it I put a 160 in my 08 it still ran at the same temp in town 192 to 198 in the heat here in Texas. Come winter time I took it out & went back to the 180 to get my heater working sooner. The sweet point for the engine should be around 195 degrees, that has been said by top engine builders. I have not gone on the road for a few years so I can't say what the coolant runs at...

Quick Reply: 160 Thermostat