C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Improving the C6 seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 01:19 PM
Mandolin
1st Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Improving the C6 seat

Much of the discussion about the superiority of the seats in the c7 (versus the c6 seats) seems to center on how firmly the new seats hold you in place during cornering. Being a new C6 owner (2008 Z51), I was frankly a bit disappointed in the stock c6 seats. In particular the seat back padding seemed soft, sort of like sitting in an overstuffed couch. This excessive padding forces you to sit somewhat forward of the side bolsters which means they cannot hold you firmly enough during cornering. When you attempt to fix this by using the power "squeeze" button to narrow the bolster separation it just forces you forward, which makes things worse. It turns out that some simple alterations of the seat cushion fixes this problem, at least for me anyway. You can remove the seat back insert very easily by removing the two plastic fasteners behind the seat which hold the fabric flap which is part of the seat back bolster. Before doing this I simply cut the two wires which attach to the seat heater pad. These can be soldered back together at the end of this process and insulated with shrink fit tubing. The seat back insert can now be removed from the seat frame by pulling upwards. This slides the two wire loops, which are part of the insert, off of the plastic clips which are attached to the seat frame. You now have the seat insert in your hand, ready for modification. You now pull apart the velcro strips holding the leather cover on to the back of the seat bolster. The front of the leather cover is held in the grooves between the foam pad sections with velcro as well. Just gently pull the cover off of these narrow velcro strips. Now carefully and gently peal off the seat heater pad from the seat foam. Its is held on with a very weak fabric cement. You now have direct access to the offending foam bolster pads. Notice how thick they are - they basically keep your back from sinking firmly into the seat. I then took a power, serrated blade, kitchen knife, normally used for carving meat or bread, and cut a curved recess in to all three of the foam bolster pads. This cut out was cylindrical in shape, about 1 inch deep in the middle curving out to zero thickness at the edge of the bolster. This depression firms up the feel of the seat and lets your entire body sink deep into the seat. Now, when you are positioned deeper in the seat, squeezing the side bolsters together really helps your lateral stability in corners. The seat now feels like a real sports car seat, rather than an overstuffed living room chair. To finish the alteration use a light coat of 3M contact adhesive to reattach the seat heater pad. You can then slip the leather cover back on the back bolster and hook it back on to the seat back frame. This operation can be a bit tricky - I found that putting a long flat blade screwdriver in the top wire hook while pushing the bolster pad downward really made things easy, since it forces the hook to engage the seat back clip. Don't forget to reattach the fabric flap at the back of the seat and re-solder the heater wires to finish the job.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mandolin:
HOXXOH (09-17-2015), jthompson232a (02-18-2021), mikeCsix (09-09-2018)
Old 09-10-2015, 01:27 PM
RicardoFors68
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 153 Posts

Thank you? Welcome to the forums.....
The following users liked this post:
Huck19 (09-05-2019)
Old 09-17-2015, 11:21 AM
fevest
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Comfort of the seat is going to be different for just about every driver. As I had a c3, c4, c5 and now a c6. The seats have been better in each generation.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:52 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 190 Posts

Many have complained about the pre 2012 seat. I for one like it. It's comfortable, and I've had no issues with the "loaves of bread" or "couch" feel. The only thing I did was rebuild the base cushion with a vendor kit. I only did it because it was offered, but I was glad I did. The car only had 6000 miles on it when I pulled the seat apart, and the bottom cushion already had the dreaded slice in it from the sharp edge of the metal frame.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:10 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Mandolin
Much of the discussion about the superiority of the seats in the c7 (versus the c6 seats) seems to center on how firmly the new seats hold you in place during cornering. Being a new C6 owner (2008 Z51), I was frankly a bit disappointed in the stock c6 seats. In particular the seat back padding seemed soft, sort of like sitting in an overstuffed couch. This excessive padding forces you to sit somewhat forward of the side bolsters which means they cannot hold you firmly enough during cornering. When you attempt to fix this by using the power "squeeze" button to narrow the bolster separation it just forces you forward, which makes things worse. It turns out that some simple alterations of the seat cushion fixes this problem, at least for me anyway. You can remove the seat back insert very easily by removing the two plastic fasteners behind the seat which hold the fabric flap which is part of the seat back bolster. Before doing this I simply cut the two wires which attach to the seat heater pad. These can be soldered back together at the end of this process and insulated with shrink fit tubing. The seat back insert can now be removed from the seat frame by pulling upwards. This slides the two wire loops, which are part of the insert, off of the plastic clips which are attached to the seat frame. You now have the seat insert in your hand, ready for modification. You now pull apart the velcro strips holding the leather cover on to the back of the seat bolster. The front of the leather cover is held in the grooves between the foam pad sections with velcro as well. Just gently pull the cover off of these narrow velcro strips. Now carefully and gently peal off the seat heater pad from the seat foam. Its is held on with a very weak fabric cement. You now have direct access to the offending foam bolster pads. Notice how thick they are - they basically keep your back from sinking firmly into the seat. I then took a power, serrated blade, kitchen knife, normally used for carving meat or bread, and cut a curved recess in to all three of the foam bolster pads. This cut out was cylindrical in shape, about 1 inch deep in the middle curving out to zero thickness at the edge of the bolster. This depression firms up the feel of the seat and lets your entire body sink deep into the seat. Now, when you are positioned deeper in the seat, squeezing the side bolsters together really helps your lateral stability in corners. The seat now feels like a real sports car seat, rather than an overstuffed living room chair. To finish the alteration use a light coat of 3M contact adhesive to reattach the seat heater pad. You can then slip the leather cover back on the back bolster and hook it back on to the seat back frame. This operation can be a bit tricky - I found that putting a long flat blade screwdriver in the top wire hook while pushing the bolster pad downward really made things easy, since it forces the hook to engage the seat back clip. Don't forget to reattach the fabric flap at the back of the seat and re-solder the heater wires to finish the job.
Most Vette owners don't corner fast enough to require a firmer seat. It's a GT car for the masses, not a track racer for the minority. The fact that you bought a base 3LT car, is an indication that you prefer many of the optional items of comfort and convenience, although you missed getting one with the F55 option, if handling was your priority.

I did however, think it was very cool to provide a detailed writeup to share with everyone on your very first forum post, so I gave you your first "thanks" as a welcome present.
The following users liked this post:
the_slo_vette (08-06-2023)
Old 09-17-2015, 02:32 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by airmed2
Many have complained about the pre 2012 seat. I for one like it. It's comfortable, and I've had no issues with the "loaves of bread" or "couch" feel. The only thing I did was rebuild the base cushion with a vendor kit. I only did it because it was offered, but I was glad I did. The car only had 6000 miles on it when I pulled the seat apart, and the bottom cushion already had the dreaded slice in it from the sharp edge of the metal frame.
This will be my winter project! !
Old 09-17-2015, 06:15 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I did the bottom seat upgrade, and it made all the difference in the world. I have the 3LT and the side boltster adjustment, and at 5'8" 160lbs, keeps me solidly in the seat.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:03 AM
RussM05
Melting Slicks

Received 1,013 Likes on 365 Posts

The seat repair kits are listed on eBay, too.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:42 AM
hotmotorsports
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You can add the foam on the sides of the C6's yourself. It's not hard at all! The foam can be bought for about $10.00 at a craft store (get the right density...not mooshy). For the bottom, I used a weave type material from (believe it or not) kitchen place mats. They kind of look like burlap. They were $2.50 each at Kohl's.

So for $15, I got both sides done.

I takes me about 1 to 1 1/2 hours. I've done 3 cars. It works great!

Chuck M
Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 AM
1rusty1
Safety Car

Received 332 Likes on 234 Posts

I upgraded the bottom seat to a higher density foam that had protection from the frame built in. I then changed out the seat covers. The centers are alcantara which have a great grip.

Did the install myself so the whole thing cost around 350.00 for both seats.

The following 2 users liked this post by 1rusty1:
rayosequis (10-11-2021), the_slo_vette (08-06-2023)
Old 09-09-2018, 12:00 PM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

I had upholstery shop reduce the center section form and it made a bid improvement
Now I want to FIX the seat frame flex......look at 25 sec mark on:

I have ordered a NEW GM seat back frame for $180 and will again bring to the same upholstery shop
https://www.gmpartsnow.com/oem-parts...QaAotVEALw_wcB

We are looking to see what will work to reduce side flex
Any ideas? please share :-)
Old 09-09-2018, 02:53 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

Mandolin, don't forget the ratcheting seat belts feature, you can really snug yourself down with them for aggressive driving.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by 1rusty1
I upgraded the bottom seat to a higher density foam that had protection from the frame built in. I then changed out the seat covers. The centers are alcantara which have a great grip.

Did the install myself so the whole thing cost around 350.00 for both seats.

Nice job on the install of the cover, I see so many with wrinkles and that's a pet peeve of mine, don't know how guys can accept that
NSF
Old 09-11-2018, 10:20 AM
CaptainFalcon
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

It seems like a bunch of people are unsatisfied with the seats in the C6 because of the foam. I've only got a 1lt and I don't have any complaints and I bought this car with 99k on the odometer.

On the other hand I would love to get the center section and back reupholstered with perforated leather and install a peltier cooler. It would make it easier to resist the upcoming deals on c7s after the c8 release
​​​​​​
Old 09-11-2018, 10:22 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

C6 seat problem stems from this,

You can polish a turd as much as you like with different form and covering to turn it into even more of a lazy boy lounge chair, but you still have the same problem with the seat frame to begin with.

On the C7, fame is this to make it more rigid, and why the C7 seats are light years better instead,

Last edited by Dano523; 09-11-2018 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:56 AM
mkitt27
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 53 Posts

I get GM has a tough job making everyone happy with the seats. We all want something different! I suspect many if not most Corvette buyers are happy with their seats - they look sporty but they don't pinch, aren't hard, and aren't uncomfortable. I've had soft seats in other cars that were terrible on long trips. I drove my car 400 miles home when I bought it and comfort was good.
But I'm one how thinks they're crappy for a sports car. Compared to my (former) S2000 seats, my current daily driver 2008 328i sport seats, or even my 1986 944turbo, they just don't cut it. For sure, these seats are pretty firm the S2000 seats were narrow and kept me working out so I fit my 50 something body into them, and the BMW seats are firm (hard) as well. But these seats are also very comfortable over long drives. BMW even has adjustable width side bolsters at half the price point of a Z06.
I'll likely just leave them, its tempting to upgrade to aftermarket (the 944turboS I had came with Recaro SRD - the ultimate street seat) but a lot of cost for the time spent driving it. If I tracked the car for sure I'd upgrade.
My $.02 on the topic.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:02 AM
CaddyRacer
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
C6 seat problem stems from this,

You can polish a turd as much as you like with different form and covering to turn it into even more of a lazy boy lounge chair, but you still have the same problem with the seat frame to begin with.

On the C7, fame is this to make it more rigid, and why the C7 seats are light years better instead,
Yes, that's my hope.....to improve the stock seat for occasional track use by stiffening the seat frame

Get notified of new replies

To Improving the C6 seat

Old 09-12-2018, 09:29 PM
Cruisers
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaddyRacer
Yes, that's my hope.....to improve the stock seat for occasional track use by stiffening the seat frame
Size does matter! I think it's common sense that the larger size person quite obviously does not fit the same as a smaller person. I fit perfectly and have never had a complaint with them. But I like the comfort of the seat more than being glued into a cockpit.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 445 Likes on 382 Posts

"Yes, that's my hope.....to improve the stock seat for occasional track use by stiffening the seat frame"

Well based on the excellent Dano pics of the bare C6 seat frame, maybe the easiest is to look to the area between the
bulkhead and the seat back. Make a filler bracket or insert.

Not sure if the OP is also suggesting bottom seat frame improvements.
New foam and a liner/ pad above the springs appear as the easy mod to the bottom.

Redoing the seat back frame and hinge would be a major fabrication projects.
Aftermarket seat with 5 point harness, maybe would be the least costly with all the mods required to an OEM seat?

Good luck with your project!
Old 09-13-2018, 11:30 AM
Silver Epoch
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Nice job on the install of the cover, I see so many with wrinkles and that's a pet peeve of mine, don't know how guys can accept that
NSF
Agreed, the wrinkles bug me too but those from 1rusty1 look pretty nice.

Quick Reply: Improving the C6 seat