C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting Your Vette

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 10:18 AM
Proud Owner
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Lifting Your Vette

I have done a lot of work on my vehicles over the years. But raising this Vette is more of a chore than I want to deal with. I have low profile jack and jack stands. Bought the lifting pucks other day. Other day I was going to replace cat back/axleback using boards and jack stands. After 40 minutes of trying I gave up. Not worth getting hurt or killed underneath any car so I took it to exhaust shop and had it installed. So I am thinking of getting this setup. Any member here have these?? http://myliftstand.com
Old 12-27-2015, 10:40 AM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,116 Likes on 693 Posts

I guess if you install a new catback every month or so....but the maybe 2 times a year I jack mine up is not that much of a chore with jack and stands. Annual oil change is done with homemade 2x12 ramp.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:42 AM
J3TVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 405 Likes on 290 Posts

That's pretty interesting, haven't seen that one yet.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:49 AM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

If you do a search there are many of the shorty lifts on the forums, some look pretty neat and seem to be around $1500-$3000.
I considered it but then I said hey, how many times will I use it, maybe 1 -2 times then it will sit around collecting dust being in the way.
Now if I could have a real lift maybe
But I agree with the lifting of a Corvette being a big pain in the butt
Good luck
NSF
Old 12-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Proud Owner
Racer

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
If you do a search there are many of the shorty lifts on the forums, some look pretty neat and seem to be around $1500-$3000.
I considered it but then I said hey, how many times will I use it, maybe 1 -2 times then it will sit around collecting dust being in the way.
Now if I could have a real lift maybe
But I agree with the lifting of a Corvette being a big pain in the butt
Good luck
NSF
These are not that expensive. Was hoping to get some feed back of someone that have these. When possible I like to do my own work. All of my vehicles that I have owned always get lowered. This Vette needs to be lowered in the rear about 1/2" the rake is extreme. Also the rear drop will bring the nose up a bit. Tired of scraping.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:27 AM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

It seems like a nice set up as long as you are not working on the brakes or wheels. I did a cat back replacement with ramps under the front and stands under the rear. I felt very safe and the car was secure. I did strap the front wheel to the stand so the car would not move when I got the rear wheels off the ground. Parking brake locks rear wheels.
The following users liked this post:
jbc1995fb (01-28-2016)
Old 12-27-2015, 12:02 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

I saw an interesting product in our local Tractor Supply Store (TSC) that I thought might be worth a try. It was a pair of aluminum heavy duty (3000 lb capacity) individual ramps for placing on a truck tailgate to drive riding mowers, ATV's etc into the bed of a pick up truck. Each was about 6-7" long. Seems like you could just place them on a 4x4" or 6x6" block of wood, or similar concrete block, and drive up on it. Would place the whole unit on the blocks however and not just the little end tabs that normally rest on the tail gate. Would have a very low entry angle, so shouldn't be a problem getting onto it. Would at least provide enough room to get under the car for an oil change. Any opinions?
Old 12-27-2015, 12:06 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

My garage ceiling is too low for a 4-post lift so went with a Kwik-Lift. Was able to by it used for a reasonable price. They come up for sale every once in a while either here on the Forum or Craigs List.
Attached Images   
Old 12-27-2015, 12:18 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Proud Owner
These are not that expensive. Was hoping to get some feed back of someone that have these. When possible I like to do my own work. All of my vehicles that I have owned always get lowered. This Vette needs to be lowered in the rear about 1/2" the rake is extreme. Also the rear drop will bring the nose up a bit. Tired of scraping.
I did the stock bolt thing in the rear, had about 3/8" thread left to put pad in touch with the spring (left just the narrowest of a gap) and it finally has come down after settling the same amount, 3/8"+. Left the front alone.
Scraping and Corvette seems to go hand in hand
NSF
Old 12-27-2015, 12:36 PM
biker1059
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I use Rhine ramps, works pretty good. Jack the car up and slide them under the wheels. Changed out axle back exhaust using this method.

Last edited by biker1059; 12-27-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
I did the stock bolt thing in the rear, had about 3/8" thread left to put pad in touch with the spring (left just the narrowest of a gap) and it finally has come down after settling the same amount, 3/8"+. Left the front alone.
Scraping and Corvette seems to go hand in hand
NSF
I need to lower my rear a 1/4" which will bring nose up a bit. Need to learn this bolt lowering mod. I have always done spindles, springs and coil overs. Wondering would 1/4" drop in rear need alignment.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:19 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

I need to lower my rear a 1/4" which will bring nose up a bit. Need to learn this bolt lowering mod. I have always done spindles, springs and coil overs. Wondering would 1/4" drop in rear need alignment.
It really is the easiest thing to do, just look at the" how to's" in the C-6 section, and I used the quick method. Take precise measurements, it DOES take a while to settle which surprised me but all the guys said it would
I am not getting an alignment BTW
NSF
PS here ya go*** https://www.corvetteforum.com/how-to...orvette-369388

Last edited by Not So Fast; 12-27-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:21 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave S
My garage ceiling is too low for a 4-post lift so went with a Kwik-Lift. Was able to by it used for a reasonable price. They come up for sale every once in a while either here on the Forum or Craigs List.
What is the weight rating on theses ramps? Could it be used for heavier vehicles?
Old 12-27-2015, 05:28 PM
seijack
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 128 Posts

I have done a lot of work on my vehicles over the years. But raising this Vette is more of a chore than I want to deal with. I have low profile jack and jack stands. Bought the lifting pucks other day. Other day I was going to replace cat back/axleback using boards and jack stands. After 40 minutes of trying I gave up. Not worth getting hurt or killed underneath any car so I took it to exhaust shop and had it installed. So I am thinking of getting this setup. Any member here have these?? http://myliftstand.com
Those look interesting, but most of my reasons for lifting the car involve removing the wheels. I am looking into this option.
http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipmen...k/BL-5000.aspx
Old 12-27-2015, 07:44 PM
thehaggis
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnr-5175188 I've been pondering this for a while..
Old 12-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by thehaggis
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnr-5175188 I've been pondering this for a while..
If I were to get a shorty lift those look like the type, good access to the wheels
NSF
Old 12-27-2015, 08:15 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Well, they look like beefed-up jack stands but you'd still have to go through the motions of lifting your Vette as if you're still putting it up on regular jack stands. I too am a little leery about scissor lifts but I wouldn't just stop there. I'd definitely reinforce the lift with stands.

Get notified of new replies

To Lifting Your Vette

Old 12-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Proud Owner
Racer

A lot of good info. in this thread. Thank you guys gals.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:46 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
What is the weight rating on theses ramps? Could it be used for heavier vehicles?
The website states 5000-6000 lbs.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:49 AM
berk4422
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 50 Posts

I came across this thread earlier today, just purchased the Quickjack BL-3500.

Quick Reply: Lifting Your Vette