C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Replacement for GS in trunk area

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:35 AM
DATRUTH
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Battery Replacement for GS in trunk area

I have a 2012 GS 6M with Dry Sump. I need to replace my battery and I have been running into issues. I believe that there's a bit of confusion when calling around to auto parts stores. Apparently when I provide my engine type and trim, they recommend a battery designed for the engine compartment. However the battery in a 2012 GS with Dry Sump is located in the trunk area and contains vent holes. Therefore, any battery that I purchase should have vent holes on the sides in order to plug the vent tube into. This allows harmful gasses to be expelled out of the vehicle and not into the cabin.

Here's my question.. does my GS have the same battery as the Z06? If so I can simply tell the parts store that I have a Z06 in order to eliminate confusion. In this case the battery should in fact have drain holes as the Z06 has its battery in the rear as well. I believe the GS did in fact come with the same battery as the Z06 but I'm not certain.

Next question.. what battery would you recommend that actually has vent holes on the side? Please provide a stock number if possible.

Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:40 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Yes. Same battery for GS dry sump and Z06.

I have a 2012 GS dry sump with the original battery as well, so I'll be in a similar situation soon. I'm typically a DieHard fan, but I've been thinking about going with a replacement OEM Delco battery -- given the lack of consensus on anything else being markedly better.

Last edited by Kent1999; 02-07-2016 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DATRUTH (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 12:08 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

You can also just bring your old battery with you to the auto parts store (there will be a core charge so you need the old one anyway) and find the correct battery yourself. Check the CCA, the size of the battery, the post type and post location. If all match your current battery, you are set. Do this even if you have a counter worker bring you what they say is the correct battery for your car.
DATRUTH (02-08-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 03:26 PM
Moman01
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I changed out two of these last weekend for friends and got them from autozone and had no problems looking them up for a gs.you may have to move the hold down bolts up to the top notch to get the hold down back on if your height is different .
DATRUTH (02-08-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I just went through this too due to my stock battery leaking acid out of the positive post terminal. It was three years old anyway so it was on my to-do list. I went to the auto parts store looking for an AGM battery and it almost looked like a very powerful Group-34 would have fit.

The clerk and I wrangled out the old, even burning his hand a bit and then tried to fit the new but no matter how we tried, we couldn't angle it in due to a little indentation in the cubby. It's a shame because all the careful measurements said it would work and perhaps it would have by removing the trunk panels first.

A Group 35 battery is what's called for anyway so I ended up getting an Optima that fits fine and no need for the vent tube. It costs $244 at the parts store but I got mine from Amazon for $160 and a two-day wait. As Moman indicated, you'll have to modify your hold down a bit al though I just got a $5 generic one from the parts store.

Installed fine in Grand Sport rear cubby

Last edited by Tropicana; 02-07-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

If you want to loss some weight (20lbs), then here you go for under $100 instead.

Hence Deka ETX18L with Odyssey SAE terminals ODY-3217-0006
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...a-battery.html

Deka ETX18L
http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/...tm_term=ETX18L

Odyssey SAE terminals ODY-3217-0006
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/od...FYSBaQodiCwDOw

P.S, this is an AGM battery, so make sure that you are using a battery tender that will maintain a AGM battery, hence something like a Ctek 3300!!!!!

Last edited by Dano523; 02-07-2016 at 03:50 PM.
DATRUTH (02-08-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 11:24 PM
Tropicana
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Those are great options, especially the Deka but there are other considerations when buying a battery I think. Anyone can buy a palm-sized race battery that will almost adequately start a Corvette and the weight savings is nice however, you're giving up reserve capacity. At least the yellow top weighs the same as stock, is an AGM and has a couple hundred more CCAs than stock.

Plus it'll continue to function even if I neglect it. With a race battery, it's just one more stressor I'd have to make sure I got right or stress out about it which I don't really want to get into. Plus, I don't want the alternator working hardcore, dragging my motor down, just to make up for a race battery.

Last edited by Tropicana; 02-07-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:56 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I don't have my vent tube hooked up to my battery and have never smelled any strange smells coming from the battery. Not even sure my battery has vents in it, never paid any attention to it.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:48 AM
DATRUTH
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tropicana
I just went through this too due to my stock battery leaking acid out of the positive post terminal. It was three years old anyway so it was on my to-do list. I went to the auto parts store looking for an AGM battery and it almost looked like a very powerful Group-34 would have fit.

The clerk and I wrangled out the old, even burning his hand a bit and then tried to fit the new but no matter how we tried, we couldn't angle it in due to a little indentation in the cubby. It's a shame because all the careful measurements said it would work and perhaps it would have by removing the trunk panels first.

A Group 35 battery is what's called for anyway so I ended up getting an Optima that fits fine and no need for the vent tube. It costs $244 at the parts store but I got mine from Amazon for $160 and a two-day wait. As Moman indicated, you'll have to modify your hold down a bit al though I just got a $5 generic one from the parts store.

Installed fine in Grand Sport rear cubby
Thanks for the information and the pictures!! However, I thought if a battery was in the passenger compartment (not under the hood), it HAD to hooked up to a vent tube so that harmful gases can escape.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
I don't have my vent tube hooked up to my battery and have never smelled any strange smells coming from the battery. Not even sure my battery has vents in it, never paid any attention to it.
A lead-acid battery emits small amounts of hydrogen gas as the alternator keeps it charged.
Hydrogen is colorless, odorless, and highly flammable. (think Hindenburg)

An engine compartment is usually too open for the gas to accumulate, but that often isn't true in the interior or in the battery well.

Last edited by Kent1999; 02-08-2016 at 10:39 AM.
LMB-Z (03-17-2017)
Old 02-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm going with this one tonight, for my 2011 GS dry sump (battery in rear). They have a 20% off "buy it online, pick up in store" deal going, so it will be about $140 with tax and the old trade in.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...000%7CL3*15597

Edit - Advance Auto saved me a few bucks, they wanted to do their comprehensive test (battery/starter/alternator/etc) and it showed everything was OK. So I cancelled my battery order, and picked up a jug of Mobil 1 (with the Mobil filter) that is on sale this week, and called it an evening

Last edited by Seadawg; 02-09-2016 at 06:19 AM.
DATRUTH (02-08-2016)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:14 PM
xiarcher
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

So I just got off the phone with Optima battery and they stated they DO NOT RECCOMEND a non vented battery in the GS or ZR1. they said you need a vented battery and the Optima red or yellow is not vented. there battery could vent out into cabin if overcharging happens. Just what I'm being told. I'm in same boat with a GS looking for new battery.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:14 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I went with a Die-Hard battery. Had the vent hole in the side and also an attached handle that made it easier to drop in place.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:01 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by xiarcher
So I just got off the phone with Optima battery and they stated they DO NOT RECCOMEND a non vented battery in the GS or ZR1. they said you need a vented battery and the Optima red or yellow is not vented. there battery could vent out into cabin if overcharging happens. Just what I'm being told. I'm in same boat with a GS looking for new battery.
I thought optima batteries were sealed. That's their claim to fame. "Can even be mounted upside down". I've had a red top in my GS for years. No vent..
Old 03-16-2017, 01:42 PM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LoganExplosion
I thought optima batteries were sealed. That's their claim to fame. "Can even be mounted upside down". I've had a red top in my GS for years. No vent..
Optimas and other AGM's are sealed, but under high temps or overcharging conditions they will still vent out the safety ports. Some sactioning race bodies still required that ALL batteries be vented if mounted in the passenger compartment, even AGMs, which is why Optima doesn't recommend the Red or Yellow Top for the GS, Z06 or ZR1. 99.9% of the time it won't be a problem, but the 0.1% is all it takes to sue a company into bankruptcy. If you do an Optima (and many have) just be aware of that slim chance it will vent and that you may be DQ'd by a tech if you're into racing. Optima actually does have a few batteries that have vent ports (blue line?) but none that will fit our cubby hole. You'll also need to buy a different hold down strap because they're taller, but most auto parts stores keep those in stock for $5-10.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:42 PM
blittle
Melting Slicks

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts

In the rear?

Old 03-16-2017, 11:57 PM
Whoop
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

90 series NAPA has a vent. Catch them on 20% off Saturdays and save a few bucks.
got2hav1 (03-18-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Replacement for GS in trunk area

Old 03-17-2017, 10:19 AM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 901 Likes on 586 Posts

They don't NORMALLY vent but in an overheating condition they emergency vent.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:28 AM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

My dealer had the OEM battery within a couple of dollars of the others mentioned AND it has the vent tube. Lasted me 4 years on tender. Please post when you finally decide and replace it. We want to hear your bloody knuckle story...
Old 03-17-2017, 10:52 AM
INTRCUL
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by psp6158
My dealer had the OEM battery within a couple of dollars of the others mentioned AND it has the vent tube. Lasted me 4 years on tender. Please post when you finally decide and replace it. We want to hear your bloody knuckle story...
I've got over 8 years on two separate Optima Red Tops. A lot of folks say the quality control has gone since production went to a plant in Mexico, but I haven't seen a change yet. Just put one in my ZR last Summer so fingers crossed on this one.

Getting any battery out of the trunk cubby hole is a lot easier if you remove the hatch door. i think you just have to press in the pins and it comes out easily. Getting the OEM one out is easier if you can get one of those pivot/claw tools parts stores have to help customers install batteries, but worst case you can just Vise grip the battery terminals and pull straight up.

Quick Reply: Battery Replacement for GS in trunk area