C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No FOB Detected, Cannot start the Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 04:52 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by unclecookie
I did not have exactly the same problem as you, but my car would allow me to open the door, the interior lights worked, and the headlights worked. However, when I tried to start the car, suddenly all the lights went dim, and of course the car wouldn't start. I checked the battery with a volt meter and discovered it had only 11 volts in it. I hooked up a battery charger to it for a couple hours, and checked the voltage again, and it registered nearly 14 volts. When I tried to start the car again, the same thing happened. I checked the voltage at the battery and it was down to 10 volts. New battery cured my problem. The old battery had a dead cell apparently. I have no idea how old the battery was as it came in the car when I bought it last March. So even though your battery is only 3 years old, it still could be bad. JMHO
Or was just weak because it had reached the end of its life. Checking the voltage doesn't mean much.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:04 PM
NVR LAT
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's been too long to remember all the symptoms, but I had similar issues with a 3 or 4 year old battery which I thought could never be the problem…it turned out it was. These cars get screwy when the battery isn't 100%. I'm not saying that is your problem, but I wouldn't rule it out. Good luck it finding the answer...
Old 02-14-2016, 06:49 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Take the battery to AutoZone to have it load tested for free.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

There have been a few who have reported the antenna in the glove box had been dislodged and caused these symptoms.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:04 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

Chevrolet is rivaling Lucas (Lord of Darkness) for electrical crap. All of these problems with the Corvette electricals that I've seen here would indicate a pretty awful design of the system. I have mentioned earlier that I had a '00 Camaro with intermittent loss of the radio and power windows that was so common among 4th gen Camaros that the owner's forum had a photographic tutorial on how to remove and repair the cracked (always the same ones) solder joints on the BCM PC board. My kids just came up for the weekend and they reported that their 2008 TrailBlazer's low beam headlights had quit while driving. The high beams work, but there are no lows. I went to a TrailBlazer troubleshooting site and found that seven of the eight complaints about the 2008 model were about the exact same thing. IIRC, C6 Corvettes were recalled for headlight problems. HEY! It was Chrysler that was acquired by Fiat, not Chevrolet. Why can't GM design cars with dependable electrical systems?
Old 02-14-2016, 07:06 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
There have been a few who have reported the antenna in the glove box had been dislodged and caused these symptoms.
That might be the case if the car would start with the FOB in the glove box slot. That does not work either. Antenna is not involved when using the glove box method.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:09 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RagTop69
Chevrolet is rivaling Lucas (Lord of Darkness) for electrical crap. All of these problems with the Corvette electricals that I've seen here would indicate a pretty awful design of the system. I have mentioned earlier that I had a '00 Camaro with intermittent loss of the radio and power windows that was so common among 4th gen Camaros that the owner's forum had a photographic tutorial on how to remove and repair the cracked (always the same ones) solder joints on the BCM PC board. My kids just came up for the weekend and they reported that their 2008 TrailBlazer's low beam headlights had quit while driving. The high beams work, but there are no lows. I went to a TrailBlazer troubleshooting site and found that seven of the eight complaints about the 2008 model were about the exact same thing. IIRC, C6 Corvettes were recalled for headlight problems. HEY! It was Chrysler that was acquired by Fiat, not Chevrolet. Why can't GM design cars with dependable electrical systems?
Fortunately, I purchased an additional GMEPP with zero deductible when my original GMPP expired last year. The GMEPP runs through 2022. I had a hunch **** like this may happen.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:10 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

My '08 gave the same issue. Lights worked, doors opened, but no start. Battery went bad (3 years old). New battery and all is well. Did get a no fob message a couple of times right after battery died. Repeated problem a few weeks later but that was a lose ground cable. Weird things happen on these cars after a battery goes south!
Old 02-14-2016, 07:12 PM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dpigguy
My '08 gave the same issue. Lights worked, doors opened, but no start. Battery went bad (3 years old). New battery and all is well. Did get a no fob message a couple of times right after battery died. Repeated problem a few weeks later but that was a lose ground cable. Weird things happen on these cars after a battery goes south!
I am getting the battery checked tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 02-14-2016, 07:13 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

Originally Posted by xcutter
That might be the case if the car would start with the FOB in the glove box slot. That does not work either. Antenna is not involved when using the glove box method.
No, others have stated that the antenna in the glove box (which is the one which determines if the fob is valid during starting) was dislodged, and they weren't able to start the car even with the fob in the slot.

I will try to find the post(s).
Old 02-14-2016, 08:31 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like it's going to have something to do with your body control module (BCM). Here is the trick though, if you have an extended warranty: don't let them "reflash" it as computer reflashes are not typically covered under warranty. However, if you REPLACE the BCM, it is covered.

Best of luck and tell us what the final result is.

Last edited by dr.stephan; 02-14-2016 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:35 PM
dmvette
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Have you tried using the lock/unlock on the fob after getting in the car. If it functions, the car should read the fob. Had my 08 do this a few times.

Last time it happened after sitting for a week or more in the garage and not starting while we had cold temps.
This time door would not unlock with fob so had to go thru trunk and manually open door.

Lights worked but no fob detected notice was all I could get. Took battery in and had it checked. Bad battery, so I bought a new one and installed it thinking I'm good to go....no, same thing.

As I am sitting there thinking what to do next, I hit the unlock button and for some reason everything started working again.

Everything worked fine after that until I traded it in a year later. Will this help......don't know but I would start with the new battery if none of this works for you.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:41 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

That the car battery is the first thing to check at this point.
Other weird things that happen, include new or failing electronic/electrical devices in the area that cause interference.
One time a member had installed a security video camera in his carport and he couldn't start his car with it turned on. Another had the ballast in an overhead fluorescent light that was failing. I even had to avoid parking in one spot at work, because it was too close to a power pole transformer.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:12 AM
CZ4
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue occur in my garage 2x shortly after I bought my 2008. One by one I turned off each home circuit breaker to identify the interference source. Found my sons circuit causing interference and traced it down to his Wifi antenna on the PC. Turned computer off and vette started.
Also discovered to block interference to start car, place FOB up to the start button and construct an aluminum foil shield/hood around the start button and FOB
Old 02-15-2016, 08:43 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by CZ4
Had the same issue occur in my garage 2x shortly after I bought my 2008. One by one I turned off each home circuit breaker to identify the interference source. Found my sons circuit causing interference and traced it down to his Wifi antenna on the PC. Turned computer off and vette started.
Also discovered to block interference to start car, place FOB up to the start button and construct an aluminum foil shield/hood around the start button and FOB
That maybe ok in your garage.but doesn t fly out in the country.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:08 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

Old 02-15-2016, 09:09 AM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

UPDATE:
Pulled the battery and brought to the dealer to be checked. Battery is fine. My back hurts from taking it out, but the battery is not the issue. Calling GMEPP to have it flat bedded to Wallace Chevrolet.

Get notified of new replies

To No FOB Detected, Cannot start the Car

Old 02-15-2016, 09:13 AM
walleyejack
Le Mans Master

Received 899 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by xcutter
UPDATE:
Pulled the battery and brought to the dealer to be checked. Battery is fine. My back hurts from taking it out, but the battery is not the issue. Calling GMEPP to have it flat bedded to Wallace Chevrolet.
Keep us posted please
Old 02-15-2016, 10:38 AM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 377 Likes on 283 Posts

I am curious about the failed car battery scenario.

I know a battery can keep voltage but not have the cranking amps (hence, do the load test) but typically the voltage will be weak.

In your experience does the DIC show a voltage loss for a weak battery if you don't start the car and run the alternator?
Old 02-15-2016, 10:49 AM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LowRyter
I am curious about the failed car battery scenario.

I know a battery can keep voltage but not have the cranking amps (hence, do the load test) but typically the voltage will be weak.

In your experience does the DIC show a voltage loss for a weak battery if you don't start the car and run the alternator?
The battery was tested this morning and is fine. Waiting for the flat bed to take her away. The only signs of trouble I have experienced were difficulty unlocking the door touch pad when locked. No problem when the car was unlocked.

Quick Reply: No FOB Detected, Cannot start the Car