C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation unlock

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 03:53 PM
WhiteDevil828
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 177 Posts

Just went through this last year. Dealer wanted to charge me $140. Crazy, While searching for a cheaper route, low and behold a GM coupon comes in the mail offering $100 off any service of $100 or more as long as I charged it on my GM Mastercard. Printed TECH II Procedure, went to dealer. They also said no guarantees it would work. and it may take more than an hour. Once I handed them my printout they quieted down. I waited and they returned 25 minutes later with the car, nav radio worked perfectly. Trying to add Insult to injury they almost didn't accept the coupon but after "speaking" with the manager they relented and I paid $40 plus tax. This is why dealership service departments have such bad rep.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:09 PM
BlueAngelVet
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++

Here is my story and contribution part 2:

I went through a lot of “uncharted waters” & pain before resetting the VIN in my Nav Radio Unit successfully.

But my success is also based on Giants who made part of the path for me in this Forum.

Thank you!

It works now fine and no longer displays “Theft Active” message.

Here is the “path of least resistance” to get there for only $120:

If you buy a Vident Tool (Vident iLink400 OBD2 Engine ABS Oil Service Light Reset Diagnostic Scan Tool US) cheaper for $120 + free shipment, that does not have GM Tech2 protocol preloaded you will need to register with Videnttech website and download GM protocol yourself. Just follow the Tool Manual.

After first load of 3 latest versions of Protocols from the website: OBDII, OS update & GM Protocol, the GM Icon was missing and I had to reset everything and download it again.

Before you start, make sure you have GM Icon present next to Setup & OBDII icons.

See the pictures.

Here is Vident Tool with GM protocol stack (Tech2) installed.

STEP 1:

Connect the tool to your car OBDII port.

STEP 2:

Click on GM icon. Options are:

a) Automatic Configuration, b) Manual Configuration

In the automatic configuration I typed and saved VIN of my car but it had no effect. Just waste of time.

I went to Manual configuration

STEP 3:

In Manual configuration select year of your car. I entered 2008.

STEP 4:

Select: “Passenger Car”

STEP 5:

To Vehicle Type question answer:

Select: “Chevrolet”

STEP 6:

Again, to Vehicle Type question answer:

Select: “Y” – Please note that there is a long list of Alphabet letters without any explanation nor help what they mean. I had to go through each of the menu by menu sub-tree to find the correct one for the C6 Corvette.

STEP 7:

Select: “Vehicle Control System”

STEP 8:

Select: either “6 speed automatic” or “manual”

STEP 9:

Select: “Nav Radio” – (do not go to “UPLevRadio” as this is the path for those who do not have Nav Radio just the regular Radio. For them the VIN is checked by regular Radio. This is what Dano523 mentioned before. Thank you Dano523!

STEP 10:

Select: “Module Setup”

STEP 11:

Select: “Nav Radio” – (please note it might be confusing that you are selecting “Nav Radio” again but that is how the menu tree is build, it is a different selection than one before)

STEP 12:

Select: “VIN Relearn”

STEP 13:

Select: “OK” or “Confirm” as the question is displayed “Do you really want to do it?”.

STEP 14:

Pat yourself on a shoulder. You’ve done it!

Vident Tool + the protective cover. In the package you get also USB cable, Micro SD card, Card reader, CD with SW & Manual (just in case you are off-line - best is to download latest from on-line)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:58 PM
BlueAngelVet
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you already tried this? As soon as you turn Accessory Mode press SRCE (Source button) then your Radio / CD / XFM menu should appear instead of Nav menu.
Then press the door button as if you would change the CD. Obviously as soon as door is open you can change either CD or Nav DVD.
I also have experienced in the past that door was not opening occasionally when button pressed.
I had other issue also. When I pressed DVD eject button the Nav DVD did not want to come up occasionally.
The trick I used was to slide the sheet of paper in the door where CD or DVD is.
There is a sensor that normally detects when you insert DVD or CD but in this case the same sensor triggers spit out of DVD or CD.
I hope it will help someone.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:17 PM
gwhite1950
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try that but i don't get any menus when it come on i just get the white screen that says CAUTION CANNOT LOAD SYSTEM SOFTWARE. There are not any cd's or nav cd in the system.

Quick Reply: Navigation unlock