C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A6 shift cable replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by windyC6
Well thank you very much BRUZE, I never would have guess that in a million years. I know you've mentioned before that I am challenged, and I can't help it....but I ain't quite that challenged...LOL.....do me a favor and whip me up a couple of those little brass B@#$@#DS while your at it as i'm sure all this talk will make mine fall apart..
windy wrote, above on this page: My gosh..!!!! Those are the pieces that fall apart and the dealer wants how much to replace them ???. Once again....Thanks GM......thanks for the pics by the way.
Yesterday 02:37 PM

I was just reacting to what you wrote.
The following users liked this post:
gedelgado3 (08-31-2018)
Old 03-18-2016, 10:35 AM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruze
windy wrote, above on this page: My gosh..!!!! Those are the pieces that fall apart and the dealer wants how much to replace them ???. Once again....Thanks GM......thanks for the pics by the way.

OH !! So sorry...I could have sworn that you were insinuating that I didn't realize the high cost of labor...why on earth would I have thunk that.....silly me !!!...
Old 03-18-2016, 10:58 AM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

My gosh..!!!! Those are the pieces that fall apart and the dealer wants how much to replace them ???. Once again....Thanks GM......thanks for the pics by the way.
I haven't had this problem yet but just from reading about it, the cost is not in the parts, but in the amount of labor necessary to replace them.
Well thank you very much BRUZE, I never would have guess that in a million years. I know you've mentioned before that I am challenged, and I can't help it....but I ain't quite that challenged...LOL.....do me a favor and whip me up a couple of those little brass B@#$@#DS while your at it as i'm sure all this talk will make mine fall apart..

OH !! So sorry...I could have sworn that you were insinuating that I didn't realize the high cost of labor...why on earth would I have thunk that.....silly me !!!...
What is your problem windy? Calm down. Rogers and Cherokee understood my response to your OP, but you're flying off the proverbial handle.

If I totally misunderstood your OP, in red above, then please explain what your point was supposed to be.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:26 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Hey guys. Cool your engines. This thread is too important to risk getting locked.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:18 PM
windyC6
Safety Car

Received 514 Likes on 425 Posts

What is your problem windy? Calm down. Rogers and Cherokee understood my response to your OP, but you're flying off the proverbial handle.

If I totally misunderstood your OP, in red above, then please explain what your point was supposed to be.
Ah yes....seems like in the immortal words of Strother Martin..."What we have here....is a failure to comun-cate". Bruze you seem to suggest that I was pounding on my computer in a violent rage while typing. If I give you that miss-guided assumption I truly apologize. It's quite obvious that the is a clash of...shall we say sense of humors, or lack there of, and we will just call it that. With that being said I again truly apologize if I offended you in any way....and with that also being said may I suggest that you simply just ignore all and any of my post in the future....
Old 06-02-2016, 04:28 PM
719c6
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

If anyone knows... is the A6 process the same as the A4?

My 2005 A4 shift cable broke parking at work. Pulled center console apart, all looks fine. Jacked up with co-workers scissor jack, looked fine at tranny. Just won't shift into park. Moved linkage manually at tranny. Started and shifted into drive. Can't go back into N-R-P so I'm guessing cable is broke in between somewhere.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:02 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

bookmarked
Old 04-04-2017, 05:13 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

that front bracket in the tunnel is fun, it helps to look at the new cable and see the tabs that must be pressed inwards after the retaining clip is moved out of place.

Great write up, Thank You.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:22 PM
bobbyd99
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GOLD72
Great write up!! My front shift cable grommet failed a few months ago at 41k miles. I just replaced the plastic grommet for $5 from an Autozone kit. It is done entirely from inside the car without all of the disassembly needed to do the entire cable.
My car is in the shop as I am writing this. I think the plastic grommet went on my shift cable but I don't know for sure. I hope it is a simple fix as I only have 69K on my 2006 Corvette Convertible. Do you know if this is a common problem with these cars? Thanks, Bob
Old 02-09-2018, 03:48 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

When I had the service bulletin fuel leak repaired at 54k I had the cable replaced on our 09 as it was fraying so I should be good
Old 02-09-2018, 09:34 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyd99
My car is in the shop as I am writing this. I think the plastic grommet went on my shift cable but I don't know for sure. I hope it is a simple fix as I only have 69K on my 2006 Corvette Convertible. Do you know if this is a common problem with these cars? Thanks, Bob
Common problem? Yes.

Had my cable replaced a couple months ago at 67,000 miles on my 06 convertible as a PRM. I had the cable fail on my C5 a couple years back.

Tech at the dealership said I called it right. The front bushing was decaying and he said maybe another six months were left. Better safe than stranded.

Heat from the console area is the major causation of the failure.

Last edited by BADBIRDCAGE; 02-09-2018 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:53 AM
gedelgado3
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogers 07
Well, It finally broke. After 130,000+ miles I had to get my car towed because of a part failure. I had just pulled into a dinner to get lunch, went to shift into Park and.... Nothing, The shifter just moved from D to P without moving the Transmission into park (Essentially it was stuck in D) So I just turned the engine of and called the tow truck!. When I got it home, a quick inspection proved the cable was indeed broken as the shift lever arm in the transmission worked fine and of course the cable link to the shift arm appeared to be in good condition (Meaning it was the end that attaches to the shifter itself that failed.. Of course !) Looking on line, I found a new GM Replacement cable for only $39.00 so that was good. Knowing it was going to be a PITA to change it, Here are the steps needed to change the cable.
1. Disassemble and remove the center console.
2. Unbolt and remove the shifter assembly (Only for 10 mm nuts)
3. Jack-up the car and secure with jack stands or (use a Lift)
4. Remove the exhaust center pipe (H pipe) section.
5. (Optional) put it really helps with access to the cable attachment point behind the shifter...Remove the torque tube cover, All the bolts have to come out and it seems like a thousand of then are in there!
6. Pry the cable connection of the transmission end shift arm (It just snaps on and off)
7. Remove the cable from the shifter, In my case it had already broken off at the shifter cable connection. It just snaps on and off just like the transmission arm end.
8. There is a cable retaining bracket that holds the shifter end of the cable about 6 inches behind the shifter attached to the tunnel. You have to push the cable up at the bracket to get it come out of the bracket (This is no fun as there is not a lot of room to reach up there.)
9. The transmission arm end of the cable is retained by another bracket bolted to the transmission, to remove it, there are two tabs you squeeze inward on the cable and it allows the cable to slide out of the bracket.
10. Once both ends are free of the retaining brackets, the cable can be removed from either end just by pulling it and guiding it out.
NOW for the fun part!!
11. Install the new cable into the tunnel and route it up where the old cable went. I recommend connecting the shifter end of the cable into the tunnel bracket first.
12. The cable can only be installed into the tunnel bracket in one position (Or orientation) , the cable must be guided up over the tunnel bracket, them pulled down into the bracket so that the cables retaining slot is fully engaged in the bracket. (Make sure it is in the right position or the shifter will not work properly !!!)
13, Install the other end of the cable into the transmission bracket, again make sure the two retaining tabs are fully engaged as you push/Pull the cable thru the bracket, (Again this end only goes in, in one position as there is a locating tab that must be correctly oriented in the bracket as well !! Were talking fun here !!
14. At this point Make double sure both ends of the cable are properly installed in there respective retaining brackets!! Repeat this step as often as need until you are 100% positive they are installed correctly!!
15. NOW reinstall the shifter and reconnect the wires connections that got to it.
16. Snap the shifter end of the cable onto the shifter pin, This can be done as you're installing the shifter in to the tunnel or from underneath if you removed the torque tube cover.
16. If all is going well, turn on the ignition, but don't start the engine (You don't have the exhaust hooked up yet). Push the brake pedal and you should hear the shift solenoid "Click" when you hear it, Move the shifter in to the Neutral position.
17. Before you hook up the Transmission arm end of the shift cable, Make sure the transmission is in the neutral position. To do this move the Transmission arm towards the rear of the car as far as it will go, it will stop clicking as it moves past the internal detents. At this point move the arm towards the front of the car two positions or "clicks"
18. You are now ready to attach the cable to the transmission shift arm. Again before you do it, verify both the shifter and the transmission are in the neutral positions.
19. The new cable comes with an adjustable link at the transmission end. To make sure the cable is properly adjusted, there is adjustment "tab" on the end that must removed after you have snapped the transmission end of the cable onto the transmission shift arm.
20, Before removing the adjusting tab, once again verify both the shifter and the trans are in neutral !!
21. At this point you can remove the tab from the cable end link. (It just pops off with a screwdriver) then once if the tab is off, the adjustment securing lock is then pushed flush with the cable end link, this locks the end link in position with the cable and ensures proper adjustment.
22. With the car still jacked up, and nothing touching the rear wheels, I put the shifter into P and started the car up (Still no Exhaust) then moved the shifter thru each position to verify proper transmission adjustment. If all works as it should, then you can reassemble everything you removed in the earlier steps.
23. If it does not work as it should. (See step 14 above) Recheck the cable brackets, one end or both may not be fully seated or correctly positioned. (Remember this is a PITA) but it is critical to proper shifting of the transmission!) When you are certain all is working correctly, reassemble the rest of the parts you removed!

This is not something to be attempted by the faint of heart or if you'r not very mechanically inclined then by all means have it done by a professional !

On the other hand it only cost me $60 for the tow truck , $40.00 in parts and about 5 hrs of time to do the job in my garage.
Hi I installed the new cable and followed every step. Still won’t start. She started before I installed the cable but tried it once everything was removed but wouldn’t start, so I gave it another try once I installed the shifter. Now she won’t start. Please advice.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:41 PM
bacord
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is a video on how to replace the front bushing from the inside of car and the bushing kit available through them. It starts off with the shift indicator fix for a c5 but also covers the bushings. He said its the same for a c6.
Corvette Automatic Shifter Indicator Repair, C5 97-04 & Automatic Shifter Cable Repair, C6 97-13

Last edited by bacord; 08-31-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:58 PM
bacord
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I just saw this video and ordered the kit like 5 mins before I posted this.

Last edited by bacord; 08-31-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:02 PM
simplegto
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

A silly question but if the cable fails when you shift to park and remains in gear can you open the door normally and will the car restart? I guess what am wondering is where the neutral safety switch is. On the shifter or in the trans?
Old 09-27-2018, 09:21 PM
Djohnson2970
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting

Originally Posted by gedelgado3

Hi I installed the new cable and followed every step. Still won’t start. She started before I installed the cable but tried it once everything was removed but wouldn’t start, so I gave it another try once I installed the shifter. Now she won’t start. Please advice.
How did you get it to start? Having same problem.

Thank you,
D Johnson
Old 03-24-2019, 07:03 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

My A6 2007 rear grommet just went missing.

you can jack the car with it running and put it in drive to get you back to safety.

advance stocks the Dorman xxx55 part

pretty sure it’s not happening with exhaust in place.

ironically I replaced my 2005 cable 2 years ago

Last edited by SteveDoten; 03-25-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To A6 shift cable replacement

Old 03-24-2019, 08:03 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

It’s amazing that the older generations never had cable problems and now supposedly newer is better? They are trying to cut costs to make more profit. Thanks GM
Old 03-25-2019, 03:36 AM
Salt
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Just Changed My Shift Assembly and cable grommet..WHEW!

Just finished changing out my shifter assembly this morning, it wasn't as easy as I expected it to be, also I was not aware that our shift cable moves in the reverse order then what I expected. The second time was a charm, all good. Replacing the shift grommet was a chore. I purchased the Dorman GM part which had 2 grommets, I wrestled with the white one and just could not get it to seat, I switched to the clear and Bam! got it in the first attempt. The original grommet was seated and looked to be in good condition, I switched it out since I was in there, it did break and chip out very easily proving it was brittle, thank you to the many members and posts recommending replacement. After completing the new shift assembly install, the car started and ran through all the gears smoothly, off for a Sunday morning cruise. Once home I proceeded to checkout the old shift assembly that I removed. I could not find why the shift lever would not move freely. When I hit down on the shift **** and pulled back to get the shifter out of park 2 weeks ago, I really did a number on it. Luckily I was able to get the car into my parking stall, and into Park. Lesson learned, these cars have a lot of plastic parts, and electrical circuits and sensors, banging on them is not a good idea. Would anyone here be able to help me seat the shift boot to the bottom of the shift ****? Currently there is a small gap between both. I tried turning the square plastic piece attached to the boot left, then right, with no luck. Do not want to force anything, Thanks again to all who have contributed advice and helpful links, Be safe All
Old 03-25-2019, 03:23 PM
carls2004
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Mine broke at 39,000 miles...Grommet at shifter end was rock hard from heat and broke.

Quick Reply: A6 shift cable replacement