C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on replacing front brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 02:59 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Questions on replacing front brake pads?

I have a 2012 base C6 non-z51 with 36,000 miles. The front brakes have started to squeak and I am assuming I need to replace the pads.

I have not replaced pads on a car in many years. Chevy wants $600 to do the fronts (rotors & pads). Back in the day, you only replaced the rotors when there was wear, warpage, etc. However, you always cut them.

It seems nowadays people replace the rotors with pads

Q1: Do I have to replace the rotors if they are fine?

Q2: If not, should they be cut?

Q3: What pads should I replace them with? AutoZone sells Hawk but I am thinking I am better off with OEM.

Thank you.

Last edited by rckt; 03-24-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:16 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

I replaced my pads without replacing my rotors. If the rotors are still within thickness specs (stamped on the rotor) then they don't need to be replaced.
I did not do anything to my rotor surfaces either. I had 50K miles on my base Z51 car.
I replaced my OEM pads with OEM ceramics. At 50K miles, my original pads still had 50% pad material remaining. I just replaced the pads to ceramic to reduce the brake dust.
Attached Images
Old 03-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Not So Fast
Le Mans Master

Received 982 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by LV2TOUR
I replaced my pads without replacing my rotors. If the rotors are still within thickness specs (stamped on the rotor) then they don't need to be replaced.
I did not do anything to my rotor surfaces either. I had 50K miles on my base Z51 car.
I replaced my OEM pads with OEM ceramics. At 50K miles, my original pads still had 50% pad material remaining. I just replaced the pads to ceramic to reduce the brake dust.
Paul; does yours have padlets or 1 piece pds ??
I went Auto Zone ceramic gold padlets FWIW
NSF
Old 03-24-2016, 04:39 PM
Dub Mc
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm putting front pads on my 05 tomorrow here in our shop. No squeek but I can see I have about 30% pad left and that is when I change pads as far as wear goes.. Take your fingernail rckt and see how much grove you have on the outside edge of the rotor.. If I feel a grove I take the rotor and have it turned/cut.. At that time I also check for cracks or warping and if none exist I don't buy a new rotor, just resurface the existing rotor.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:11 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
Paul; does yours have padlets or 1 piece pds ??
I went Auto Zone ceramic gold padlets FWIW
NSF
Mine are 1 piece pads.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:14 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Has anyone used the carbotech pads or should I stay with OEM?
Old 03-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by rckt
Has anyone used the carbotech pads or should I stay with OEM?
A lot of members here use the Carbotech pads. What are you using the car for?

Carbotech is not the cheapest pad on the market but they are the best in my opinion if you are looking for a low dust performance street pad. Also, at 36k I would get new rotors I would also do all 4 corners at the same time with 36k on the clock. The 1 piece Carbotech 1521 for street use will run you $509.00. New OEM rotors are inexpensive I am basing this on that this is just a street car.

1 piece info.

Carbotech have redesign the C6 Z06 One Piece pad for the front and rear stock calipers (PBR Calipers). Carbotech was the first to release the padlets almost four years ago, and then we were the first to release the One Piece over a year ago. That design that Carbotech worked with GM on wasn't perfect. That's the same design you see other companies using now.

Carbotech set out to redesign the new One Piece all on their own. Carbotech wanted to make sure it was perfect and even more user friendly. This new design will drop right into the caliper and you don't have to take out the caliper pins or spring clips. The spring clips are critical in keeping the brake pad square to the rotor surface and ensuring that the pads slide smoothly along the pins. The spring clips also assist in reducing the noise inside the caliper.

The one piece pad will make changing pads a lot faster and easier. The Carbotech One Piece pad will give longer pad life and a little more bite as well. Carbotech is molding the new One Piece pad just like they do with all the C6, C5, and C4 brake pads.

Carbotech is also using industry leading NRS technology. If you're not familiar with NRS technology it gives molded pads up to 8 times stronger sheer strength vs. conventional molded brake pads and riveted pads. NRS technology also helps in reducing noise and vibration of the brake pad inside the caliper as well as aiding in longer wearing pads. Carbotech use NRS technology on all C6 & C5 front and rear brake pads.

Here is a link to explain further what NRS technology is exactly: http://www.nrsbrakes.com

Install procedure.

http://www.101corvetteprojects.com/2...rvette-c6-z06/

Compound info.

Carbotech™ Bobcat 1521™ The Carbotech Bobcat 1521™ is our high performance street compound that is our most successful compound. The Bobcat compound is known for its awesome release and modulation, along with unmatched rotor friendliness. Like our AX™ & XP™ line of compounds, Bobcat 1521™ is a Ceramic based friction material offering minimal rotor damage and non-corrosive dust. Bobcat 1521™ offers outstanding performance, even when cold, low dusting and low noise with an excellent initial bite. This compound’s virtually perfect linear torque production provides incredible braking force without ABS intervention. Bobcat 1521™ operating range starts out at ambient and goes up to 900°F. Bobcat 1521™ is suitable for ALL street cars, perfect for your tow vehicle, police cruiser. The Bobcat 1521™ compound has been found to last two-three times longer than OE pads you can purchase at a dealership or national retailer. That’s one of the beauties of Carbotech Ceramic brake compounds. Bobcat 1521™ is NOT recommended for any track use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
The following users liked this post:
rckt (03-26-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 06:51 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Changed my pads only (no rotors), low miles and plenty of pad left but the dust and the noise were a PIA. Used Akebono pads, about $140 for all 4 corners IIRC. Very happy with them, no dust at all and a slight squeal for about 100 ft. till I'm out of the driveway, then all is quiet. And stopping is fine, I don't track the car. Good luck!
rckt (03-26-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 11:32 PM
Tyler_RN_EMT
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts

I would consider what your intent to do with the car is... Street driving only or plan to do some track day or auto cross events.

My 06 base coupe had around 20,000 miles on it when I pulled the calipers apart to paint them yellow... I have always run ceramic pads for my cars for street use as they are considerably less dusty with day to day street use so I went ahead and put both front and rear ceramic pads on it at that time..

I bought the autozone duralast gold I believe ceramic pads and am very happy with them! Seem to be great quality for the price and I have since put a couple thousand miles on them with very little dust, no noise of any kind and no noticeable change in performance with street driving...

I kept original rotors

My oem pads still have approx 75% left on them so I keep them handy for any track or auto x events I may end up in. I would take the time to switch them back before any of this as I understand ceramic do not perform well and begin to have significant brake fade with this style driving.

Tyler

Last edited by Tyler_RN_EMT; 03-26-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 03-25-2016, 11:40 PM
IrishSpuds
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 243 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

My 2c - avoid the brakeperformance premium semi-metallic. Mine stank, loud as can be even after bedding in etc. Buddy installed with perfection so it's 100% a brake production problem. I just received the Duralast Gold Ceramics and will not drive the vette until the other turds are gone!
rckt (03-26-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 10:03 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Thanks for all the replies. I have some decisions to make.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:41 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Just for reference, I currently have the ~$40 per axle O'Reilly's pads on JL9 rotors and can stop in less than 1000' from 125 MPH and not break a sweat. I can also activate the ABS from about 40 MPH, which means the brakes work better than the tires.
Corvettes, even with crappy brakes, will still outstop most anything else on the road. Because of that, I'm more concerned about getting hit in the rear in traffic rather than hitting the car in front of me.
Situational awareness is a better friend than the best brakes you'll ever have.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:28 PM
zo6style
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The answers are pending the intent of use and your driving habits....your budget too!
Old 03-27-2016, 11:24 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zo6style
The answers are pending the intent of use and your driving habits....your budget too!
Street use and I don't brake it hard, surprised I need them at 36,000 miles.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:33 PM
zo6style
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Premature wear could be caused by many factors. Is the car a DD and do you do mostly heavy traffic driven i.e. rush hour "stop n go n stop n go"?

My guess change all 4 knees (rotor and pads) average pads with slotted rotors NOT HOLEs and you should be fine.
Ps. I found a single pad works better than padlettes.

Last edited by zo6style; 03-27-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

This is a base car it only has 1 style brake pad. Part numbers for the 1521 are as follows.

F: CT731

R: CT732
rckt (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 12:30 PM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 920 Likes on 465 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

You say in your original post that the brakes are squeaking and you assume that you need to change pads. From your statement above I would guess that your brake pads are probably still at 60% or more and the squeak is caused by glazing. Brake pads will glaze when they are lightly used. Use the brakes hard a couple of times (60 - 10 mph) and see if they still squeak during normal use.

rckt (03-28-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on replacing front brake pads?

Old 03-28-2016, 01:51 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by duckvett
You say in your original post that the brakes are squeaking and you assume that you need to change pads. From your statement above I would guess that your brake pads are probably still at 60% or more and the squeak is caused by glazing. Brake pads will glaze when they are lightly used. Use the brakes hard a couple of times (60 - 10 mph) and see if they still squeak during normal use.

Excellent point. I will try that bc it looks like I still have pad left.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Jaime-Corvette
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by zo6style
Premature wear could be caused by many factors. Is the car a DD and do you do mostly heavy traffic driven i.e. rush hour "stop n go n stop n go"?

My guess change all 4 knees (rotor and pads) average pads with slotted rotors NOT HOLEs and you should be fine.
Ps. I found a single pad works better than padlettes.
Why "NOT HOLEs" ??
Old 03-28-2016, 03:32 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

BTW, this car is a daily driver, no more garage queens for me.

Quick Reply: Questions on replacing front brake pads?